Hello there, why not take a few seconds to register on our forums and become part of the community? Just click here.

Substrate preference poll

Discussion in 'Tarantula Questions & Discussions' started by pelo, Feb 27, 2004.

preferred substrate??

1. 100% potting soil

109 vote(s)
    8.7%
  2. 80% potting soil-20%mulch

22 vote(s)
    1.8%
  3. 100% peat moss

363 vote(s)
    29.1%
  4. 100% vermiculite

34 vote(s)
    2.7%
  5. 50/50 peat/vermiculite

95 vote(s)
    7.6%
  6. 50/50 potting soil/peat moss

104 vote(s)
    8.3%
  7. 50/50 potting soil/vermiculite

35 vote(s)
    2.8%
  8. 75% peat moss-25% vermiculite

61 vote(s)
    4.9%
  9. 75% vermicuite-25% peat moss

13 vote(s)
    1.0%
  10. other...please state in reply post

413 vote(s)
    33.1%
  1. Advertisement
    Coco fiber

2. mmfh

mmfh Arachnobaron

usa
    Coconut fiber

3. Anonymity82

Anonymity82 Arachnoprince

Coconut fiber. I might buy some peat moss and place it in a corner to hold moisture if I every own any that need more moisture than your typical desert T.

4. THECHAD

THECHAD Arachnopeon

My vote is for other coconut fiber / EcoEarth.

5. I use potting soil with loamearth from the wood, or earth from molehills, digging Spiders get 100% molehillearth, 'cause it has very much loam in it and natural microorganisms which keep everything clean and healthy.

Greetz - Felix

6. le-thomas

le-thomas Arachnobaron

100% coco fiber here.

7. tangoblue37

tangoblue37 Arachnosquire

Thats what i use as well. The t's don't seem to like it when i put it in at first because i put it in a bit wet to help the humidity, but when it dries out they seem happy enough (and no stuff growing in it).

Oh, and it doesn't stick to them unlike bark which my pzb jevee came in... Seriously, i would never use that stuff.

8. jbm150

jbm150 Arachnoprince

Back when I voted in this poll (whenever that was), I was straight coco. Now you couldn't pay me to use the stuff. All about the peat now

...well, actually you probably could pay me to use it ;)

9. SpiderNurse

SpiderNurse Arachnopeon

Another vote for EcoEarth! Holla!

10. arachnofab

arachnofab Arachnosquire

I've always used crushed walnut shells sold in the pet stores - i think my G. rosea is used to it now since its all she's ever had but my little G. pulchripes keeps walking all around the walls and ceiling of the cage so def. consider trying something else. This thread was very helpful - thanks guys!

11. MarkmD

MarkmD Arachnoprince

I'm using 100% coco-fiber it works well for me.

12. hoffcass17

hoffcass17 Arachnopeon

I like coco and vermiculite mix. Almost 50/50.

13. StonerTKeeper

StonerTKeeper Arachnopeon

Other- EcoEarth, usually block form.

14. macbaffo

macbaffo Arachnolord

100% peat moss

15. Why isn't eco earth listed in the poll? It's obviously the predominant choice.

16. macbaffo

macbaffo Arachnolord

eco earth is the name of a product. but yeah curious that it doesn't list coconut fiber.

17. sugarsandz

sugarsandz Arachnosquire

Eco Earth! not the brick though, I make to big of a mess with the expanding brick lol!

18. Formerphobe

Formerphobe Arachnoking Arachnosupporter

I use coconut fibre as a basis. What I add to or mix with it is dependent on species. Some get 100% coco fibre, others 50/50 coco/peat, others varying combinations of coco/peat+/- vermiculite. The last bag of peat I got must have had some fungus spores in it. I've been picking mushrooms out of enclosures for months. AARRGGHH! Not a problem I've had in the past.

19. zonbonzovi

zonbonzovi Creeping beneath you Staff Member

I kinda like it;) I'm not certain yet but my recent reading suggests that these are spores common to Canadian peat. So far (in that reading) it seems that these break down the dead sphagnum even further. Curiously, my biggest infestation is in an H. maculata tank that stays dry except for a monthly spritzing. It started in the base soil but has really taken off where where the tube webs become more or less horizontal. I guess that the moisture collects in these spots and encourages spreading of the spores. I had a Phlogius tank infested with mycelia that produced mushrooms regularly. The inhabitant would break them off at the stem or flex them and cover with copious webbing.

20. macbaffo

macbaffo Arachnolord

Substrate should be sterilized before use.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.