Hello there, why not take a few seconds to register on our forums and become part of the community? Just click here.

Substrate preference poll

Discussion in 'Tarantula Questions & Discussions' started by pelo, Feb 27, 2004.

preferred substrate??

1. 100% potting soil

109 vote(s)
    8.7%
  2. 80% potting soil-20%mulch

22 vote(s)
    1.8%
  3. 100% peat moss

363 vote(s)
    29.1%
  4. 100% vermiculite

34 vote(s)
    2.7%
  5. 50/50 peat/vermiculite

95 vote(s)
    7.6%
  6. 50/50 potting soil/peat moss

104 vote(s)
    8.3%
  7. 50/50 potting soil/vermiculite

35 vote(s)
    2.8%
  8. 75% peat moss-25% vermiculite

61 vote(s)
    4.9%
  9. 75% vermicuite-25% peat moss

13 vote(s)
    1.0%
  10. other...please state in reply post

413 vote(s)
    33.1%
  1. josh_r

josh_r Arachnoprince Old Timer

Advertisement
    100% natural clay based soils for me. You dont find spiders living in coco fiber or peat moss in the wild so I dont like to house them in it. I have noticed I get MUCH better behavior and burrowing from my spiders on loamy clay based soils than anything else. Give them what they came from!

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Kathy

Kathy Arachnoangel Old Timer

Ok, I keep reading about vermiculite so I just went to Home Depot and bought some, now I am reading the label and it says don't inhale, if you get it in your eyes, flush with water, breathing over extended period of time could cause respiratory problems. Now how in the world do you use this as substrate?

3. Armstrong5

Armstrong5 Arachnosquire

GA
    +1 to the 100% coconut fiber ecoearth

4. Arachnos

Arachnos Arachnopeon

I started off with vermiculite and peat moss 50/50 but now I am a 100% fan of coconut fiber ecoearth. It is easy to keep moist for high humidity species and easy to keep clean for the desert species. So far I have not heard any complaints out of my T's :D

5. AlexRC

AlexRC Arachnopeon

Other - Ecoearth coconut fiber substrate, works like a charm!

6. Rue

Rue Arachnoknight

I think the ExoTerra Plantation Soil IS coconut fibre...same as the EcoEarth product...

If it is, I'm good to go...

7. 50% Coco-fiber
    50% Vermiculite

T's love it!

8. other" for grounded up babies :D
    jk XD
    coconut fiber has worked fine for me. no mold and my haitian brown's burrows hold up just fine :)

Last edited: Mar 15, 2011
  9. Mojo Jojo

Mojo Jojo Arachnoking Old Timer

I'm really surprised to see so many people using the coconut fibers these days. When I was using the stuff back around 2002 or so, people were having fungal/mold issues with it and I had an A. geniculata that stuck itself to the glass until I changed it back to peat. Back then I was using Bed-a-beast. Is the stuff being processed differently these days?

10. Re

:D my vote goes for 'other' coco fibre all the way

11. It completely depends on the species IMO.
    for my desert pedes, scorps, and T's I use a clay(50 %)/sand(25%)/peat moss(25%) mixture
    for My tropical species I use a base layes of clay to support burrowing and a coco fibre/ peatmoss mixture for the top (and thicker layer) to hold moisture. and then I also use straight coco fiber and straight peat moss sometimes for smaller enclosures.

12. MB623

MB623 Arachnoknight

Substrate

I definitely prefer Eco-Earth. It's clean, holds moisture well, and is quite cheap if bought at the right place. Plus I kinda like the smell when moist.

13. i use coco fiber for all my T's

14. Birdman10682

Birdman10682 Arachnopeon

I like a coco-fiber/coco husk blend for my Okie browns, my curly hair and my white-knee. I've also tried a coco-husk/desert sand/cypress bedding blend for my rose-haired T and he has been settled in comfortably for months now. However, I put the sand on the bottom, cypress in the middle and the coco-husk on top.

15. Eco Earth-coconut fiber substrate. haven't noticed any complaints so far.

16. catfishrod69

catfishrod69 Arachnoemperor

exxo terra plantation soil all the way....the other stuff my pet store gets,(cant remember name), grows mold, will almost never dry out, and also grows bird seed plants....hmmmmm...owner of that factory must make bird seed too or something, also found leaves and sticks in it...

17. Josh Craig

Josh Craig Arachnopeon

Jungle Bed

18. Smaughunter

Smaughunter Arachnopeon

I use Eco-Earth.

19. I use a 50/50 mix of EcoEarth (coconut fiber) and peat moss.

20. vickywild

vickywild Arachnoknight

[​IMG]

:D

coco fibre.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.