Hello there, why not take a few seconds to register on our forums and become part of the community? Just click here.

Substrate preference poll

Discussion in 'Tarantula Questions & Discussions' started by pelo, Feb 27, 2004.

preferred substrate??

1. 100% potting soil

109 vote(s)
    8.7%
  2. 80% potting soil-20%mulch

22 vote(s)
    1.8%
  3. 100% peat moss

363 vote(s)
    29.1%
  4. 100% vermiculite

34 vote(s)
    2.7%
  5. 50/50 peat/vermiculite

95 vote(s)
    7.6%
  6. 50/50 potting soil/peat moss

104 vote(s)
    8.3%
  7. 50/50 potting soil/vermiculite

35 vote(s)
    2.8%
  8. 75% peat moss-25% vermiculite

61 vote(s)
    4.9%
  9. 75% vermicuite-25% peat moss

13 vote(s)
    1.0%
  10. other...please state in reply post

413 vote(s)
    33.1%
  1. alpine

alpine Arachnosquire

Advertisement
    Standard Coco fiber

2. paoloresu

paoloresu Arachnopeon

coco peat ftw

3. Obelisk

Obelisk Arachnobaron

I just use coco fiber.

4. ecoearth coconut fibre

5. Anonymity82

Anonymity82 Arachnoprince

I just use cocofiber. I like it. I haven't tried any other though and I'm kind of interested in Peat but until I can feel the consistency of it I don't want to buy it. Plus I'm uncertain what kind is okay to buy. I'm starting to get annoyed of being overcharged by pet stores (just spent 4 dollars on a suction cup and a plastic leaf for the betta) and peat's supposed to be much cheaper.

6. delo

delo Arachnopeon

50 peat/40 coco/10 vermiculite

7. BaddestRuffest

BaddestRuffest Arachnosquire

UK
    60% coco 40% peat moss. Holds shape and moisture well.

8. Pandinus97

Pandinus97 Arachnopeon

i would have to go with 75 bark, and 25 coir for more tropical spc and just 100% dried
    coir for arid species, i never use peat moss because im paranoid that it would mold up

9. hearsemadam

hearsemadam Arachnosquire

I make a mixture of coco fiber with vermiculite and add in moss. I have no real formula and I add or remove moss per the individual tarantulas moisture needs.

10. Erebus

Erebus Arachnosquire

My vote goes for other. I use eco earth for my T's.

11. rob0t

rob0t Arachnoknight

SC
    Eco Earth is just a brand of coco fiber.

12. Prrum16

Prrum16 Arachnopeon

I've been using the Eco earth coconut fiber for about a year and it's been working excellent ...never heard of anyone getting mites or molds... Highly recommend... Good luck

13. I use regular soil, usually Scott's top soil (sifted through a kitty litter scooper to remove the big chunks). For my arboreals I add about 25% vermiculite and a smallish amount of sphagnum moss. I haven't been keeping Ts long, but it's working great so far. The soil holds up well for burrowing and the vermiculite mixture is keeping my Avics' humidity under control nicely.

14. TallonD

TallonD Arachnopeon

In my vivarium with my avicularia avicularia I use a blend of tree fern fiber (bottom 1/4), charcoal (second 1/4), sphagnum peat and long fiber sphagnum are mixed as the top 50%. I did that for drainage since I have live plants to make sure the top does not stay too damp (use a syringe for plant watering). this is my first T, as of THIS week, so its all new to me.

15. ErinM31

ErinM31 Arthropodess Arachnosupporter

I am new, but based on all I've read, I've been using mostly peat, with a bit of shredded coconut fibers mixed in. For my Euathlus sp. red, I added a bit of non-fertilized potting soil in the understanding that it would help make burrows more stable -- of course, once I moved them to their terraria with this substrate, they no longer show much interest in burrowing and instead hang out half on the wall. o_O Maybe they preferred the relatively loose peat that I threw into jars to temporarily house them until their roomier terraria arrived, Idk. I'm torn between letting them be and settle in or keep changing things until they are happy. :arghh:

16. beaker41

beaker41 Arachnoknight

Pure coco fiber. Is this thread so old it didn't exist back then ?

17. Yanose

Yanose Arachnobaron Old Timer

and yet another ancient post is risen from is moldering crypt to stalk the boards. be ware who know what ancient tread will awaken next

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. Jack III

Jack III Arachnocultured Old Timer

MN
    (Other) Coco fiber is primarily my choice. I sometimes add vermiculite and or spagnum moss for higher humidity specimens.

19. Tenevanica

Tenevanica Arachnodemon

I use Eco Earth/ coconut fiber.

20. The Grym Reaper

The Grym Reaper Arachnoreaper Arachnosupporter

50/50 sedge peat and coco fibre mix with a little vermiculite thrown in for good measure

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.