Spermathecae Resource Thread

NMTs

Spider Wrangler
Arachnosupporter +

NMTs

Spider Wrangler
Arachnosupporter +
I had to step up my molt sexing game (thanks for the recommendations on the equipment, @l4nsky - 👍):
1000022111.jpg

I was just getting the hang of it with some larger exuvia. I feel like I got it now, so we'll start with some smaller ones as they come.

l4nsky

Aspiring Mad Genius
Arachnosupporter +
I had to step up my molt sexing game (thanks for the recommendations on the equipment, @l4nsky - 👍):
View attachment 473086

I was just getting the hang of it with some larger exuvia. I feel like I got it now, so we'll start with some smaller ones as they come.

Night and day right?

NMTs

Spider Wrangler
Arachnosupporter +
Night and day right?
Being able to manipulate the molt while it is under magnification is a game changer, for sure, and so is all the additional lighting. I'm happy with the investment. Do you have a camera on yours? That might be phase 2...

jrh3

Araneae
Arachnosupporter +
View attachment 473086

What model is that scope?

NMTs

Spider Wrangler
Arachnosupporter +
What model is that scope?
I ordered it from Amazon as a Vision VS-2FZ, but it arrived with Walter QZF branding.

Vision Scientific VS-2FZ Trinocular Zoom Stereo Microscope, 0.7X—4.5X Zoom Range, 3.5X—90x Magnification Range, 0.5X & 2X Auxiliary Lens, Dual LED Illumination, Track Stand https://a.co/d/8mDmiOC

l4nsky

Aspiring Mad Genius
Arachnosupporter +
Being able to manipulate the molt while it is under magnification is a game changer, for sure, and so is all the additional lighting. I'm happy with the investment. Do you have a camera on yours? That might be phase 2...
I don't. I also have a trinocular setup, so a camera is a future upgrade for me as well. For now, I'm just mounting molts in 60mm petri dishes as a reference library. Will be easy to digitize when I do pull the trigger on a camera.
20240511_203141.jpg

IntermittentSygnal

Arachnotic
Arachnosupporter +
Wha magnification are you finding most useful? The one I have (a student microscope from the ‘70’s) is too powerful. It’s hard to see where I am when the lowest makes each hair stand out in high detail.

NMTs

Spider Wrangler
Arachnosupporter +
Wha magnification are you finding most useful? The one I have (a student microscope from the ‘70’s) is too powerful. It’s hard to see where I am when the lowest makes each hair stand out in high detail.
I honestly don't know how to do all the math involved with calculating that - I know the objective lens adds some level of magnification, the eyepieces add another level, and the zoom adds more... I know that the objective lens I'm using is 0.5X, the eyepieces are 10X, and zoom between 2-4X has been a good range for me.

AphonopelmaTX

Staff member
I honestly don't know how to do all the math involved with calculating that - I know the objective lens adds some level of magnification, the eyepieces add another level, and the zoom adds more... I know that the objective lens I'm using is 0.5X, the eyepieces are 10X, and zoom between 2-4X has been a good range for me.
You multiply all of the magnification powers together to get the total magnification.

1X objective * 10X eye piece * 4.5X zoom setting = 45X total magnification
1X objective * 10X eye piece * 0.7X zoom setting = 7X total magnification

Your auxiliary lenses that screw on to the objective lens adds to or reduces the total magnification....

1X objective * 2X auxiliary * 10X eye piece * 4.5X zoom setting = 90X total magnification
1X objective * 0.5 auxiliary * 10X eye piece * 4.5X zoom setting = 22.5X total magnification

And so on.

NMTs

Spider Wrangler
Arachnosupporter +
You multiply all of the magnification powers together to get the total magnification.

1X objective * 10X eye piece * 4.5X zoom setting = 45X total magnification
1X objective * 10X eye piece * 0.7X zoom setting = 7X total magnification

Your auxiliary lenses that screw on to the objective lens adds to or reduces the total magnification....

1X objective * 2X auxiliary * 10X eye piece * 4.5X zoom setting = 90X total magnification
1X objective * 0.5 auxiliary * 10X eye piece * 4.5X zoom setting = 22.5X total magnification

And so on.
Cool, thanks! So I've been most comfortable using 10X-20X magnification (1X objective × 0.5X auxiliary × 10X eyepieces × 2X or 4X zoom = 10X or 20X total magnification). I haven't tried any really small molts yet, though, so that may change as I move on to smaller specimens (I just got molts from a couple Cyriocosmus slings, so that'll be a test).

NMTs

Spider Wrangler
Arachnosupporter +
4" DLS Davus pentaloris with the uterus externus folded down, exposing the spermathecae:

Here's the same molt with the uterus externus extended over the top of the spermathecae. Interestingly, it's almost the exact same shape...
1000022772.jpg

Here's one that I'm excited to document the development of:

Charliemum

Arachnocompulsive
Arachnosupporter
4" DLS Davus pentaloris with the uterus externus folded down, exposing the spermathecae:

Here's the same molt with the uterus externus extended over the top of the spermathecae. Interestingly, it's almost the exact same shape...
View attachment 473871

Wow 1inch dls just .... know where to send my moults in future 😆 not be long before you hold the tiniest moult sexed title 😉

HOITrance

Arachnosquire

View attachment 473871

OMG so jealous of the E.pachypus...that actually holds my #1 dream spider spot lol (even above moorae and solaris :p)

l4nsky

Aspiring Mad Genius
Arachnosupporter +

View attachment 473871

Lol I think I might have helped create a monster here lol. Next thing you know @NMTs Is trying to get time on the electron microscope in Albuquerque, talking about I need to sex this molt from a Cyriocosmus sellatus that went from EWL to 1i :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: .