Hello there, why not take a few seconds to register on our forums and become part of the community? Just click here.

Reasons I love AZ

Discussion in 'Field Trips (Natural Habitats)' started by AzJohn, Nov 28, 2008.

1. Advertisement
    I love Arizona also, sonoran desert is the greatest!

supererior (lol @ spelling) is a neat lil old town btw

2. Tried living in TX before. It pretty much sucked. Even the a-holes are bigger in TX. No offense.

P.S. I am just remembering that most of the aforementioned bigger ones were mostly New York/Jersey people who moved to TX...So maybe I just was unlucky in that I never met any actual Texans.

3. KyuZo

KyuZo Arachnoprince Old Timer

I thought that i caught it and then gave it to you? :?

4. AzJohn

AzJohn Arachnoking Old Timer

I keep dreaming about a summer job like that. I once told a student of mine that I'd quit teaching to be an animal trainer at Seaworld.

john

5. BrettG

BrettG Arachnoprince

6. BrettG

BrettG Arachnoprince

Head to NE Mesa for LARGE ones. I had tons when I lived in Las Sendas(power/thomas roads)

7. josh_r

josh_r Arachnoprince Old Timer

8. Sunset

Sunset Arachnoknight Old Timer

Good for you, I think there a very nice looking snake. if you have nothing good to say don't say nothing at all. im sure everyone else would agree with that.

9. John Apple

John Apple Just a guy Old Timer

what did ya see Josh

10. Kathy

Kathy Arachnoangel Old Timer

How is it I have been on this board all summer and NEVER saw this thread before! Oh my gosh! AZJohn - your pictures are amazing! Absolutely beautiful, they belong in Arizona Highways magazine. I love Arizona too, no place else I would rather live. I don't like seeing Phoenix turning into a mini LA but that is progress I guess. But to me it is the perfect place to live. North to the mountains, west to the ocean, awesome wildlife and snakes and bugs and you name it. I'm glad to see so many others love Arizona too! I really enjoyed reading through this thread and looking at the incredible photos.

11. Terribilis87

Terribilis87 Arachnopeon

I was looking through this thread it is awesome! i get to do a lot of herping here in florida, but AZ would be great bc such different habitats. When i graduate from usf in december i would love to take a trip out there just for that. Can some of the guys in this post (i.e. josh r) recommend or maybe email me some info on good places to go out there?

12. josh_r

oh my god people!!! read the rest of the posts!!!! I WAS KIDDING ABOUT EVERYTHING!!!!! pyros are stunning animals i love them! arizona is an amazing state to herp! i wouldnt go back if i actually hated it!!! get over it!! i was kidding!

13. josh_r

john, i didnt find much. i hate to say... the desert is dying man. the lack of rain is starting to take a toll. its so bad that creosote is consistently dying over much of the state. they need rains bad to make everything bounce back. i didnt see very many tarantulas and what i did see were pretty dehydrated and skinny. not a good sign. there were VERY few wandering males which is odd. just about every snake i saw were dehydrated with flacid skin. the monsoons hit really late this year and havent been too great it seems. the second half of my week there, the rains did start hitting pretty hard i must say. i found myself running from rain storms in an effort to find stuff. i hope it continues to rain like that the rest of the year. the desert REALLY needs it.

i did find some tarantulas, some scorps, a few amblypygids, a gila monster, many rattlesnakes, some colubrids, and a giant centipede eating a snake. i took pictures :) ill post them as soon as i get the pics uploaded.

-josh

14. josh_r

i can give you some pointers, but i wont share exact localities. i will tell you all the info you will need to find the species desired (habitat preference, time of year, temps, habits, etc) but no exact localities. you will have to do the searching yourself. feel free to PM me.

-josh

15. AzJohn

Yah, what's wrong with you Josh. ;) Did you get down south yet, and did you get any pictures. I haven't done any exploring in that part of the state. I went out black lighting last week and found hundreds of P. utahensis (at least I think that's what they are). I'm still looking for H spadix.

John

16. josh_r

hey john, lol, ill try to straighten out my act. thank you sir may i have another {D

yeah i made it down south and it was an alright trip. i didnt find everything i wanted to find, but i found some cool stuff. i will definitely post pics as soon as i get them uploaded. hopefully within a few days ill have the pics up.

ill PM you some areas for spadix.

-josh

17. AzJohn

A tarantula and my first rattlesnake pictures.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2010
  18. AzJohn

Thanks Josh

19. AzJohn

It's that time of year.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2010
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.