Reasons I love AZ

psychoticpengwn

Arachnopeon
That snake there apears to be a garter snake im not 100% sure though i see those atleats once a summer out at my place. Btw what part of az did you find that cricket at I love those things but dont see to many out my way

Canth

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Night snake :) Cool little guys
And what do you mean you're not tall enough to catch the P. mexicanus?

AzJohn

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Hello, and thanks for the nice replys and discussions.

Last edited:

AzJohn

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Night collecting, Superstition Mts. Foothills
Early evening to 9:30PM
Feel Free to help ID some of the inverts

Last edited:

AzJohn

Arachnoking
Old Timer
It's crazy when you go out exploring, you see all kinds of inverts, scorpions, tarantulas, snakes. The only thing I was afraid to handle was a cricket. That thing was close to 2".

John

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
they make a hissing noise (at least species around southern CA do) and do these crazy like, gymnastics to make you put them down

pretty neat bugs. if you ever do decide to collect some don't put two in the same container... you just end up with one fat one :/

i've played with quite a few and i don't think i have ever been bitten. they are strangely intimidating, though. i was scared of them and roaches when i was a kid :)

AzJohn

Arachnoking
Old Timer
they make a hissing noise (at least species around southern CA do) and do these crazy like, gymnastics to make you put them down

pretty neat bugs. if you ever do decide to collect some don't put two in the same container... you just end up with one fat one :/

i've played with quite a few and i don't think i have ever been bitten. they are strangely intimidating, though. i was scared of them and roaches when i was a kid :)
They eat meat. Maybe I should have kept it. I just saw your bite report. I hate to say it, but I laughed out loud at the pictures. It reminded me of my dog not wanting to let go of it's bone.
http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?p=1416684#post1416684

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
silly thing didn't want to let go

have to admire her moxie

also, i don't think i have ever just found one potato bug in an area... they are usually one of the most common "big" bugs that i find. and they can get BIG! i have seen them well over 3" in the past and find ~3" somewhat regularily

Aundrea

Arachnopeon
LOVE the pics.. Im from Arizona and just miss it so much!!!! I live in Ohio now. Been here for 6 years now. All they have here is a bunch of trees and poison ivy!!!! I have that nasty rash all over UGH :8o :mad: :wall: I hope to go visit my family and friends in Arizona next year.. :D

josh_r

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i am going to arizona for a week in the middle of this month! im pretty stoked! i think ill be spending most of my time in the sky islands. will be good to be back for some good herping!

-josh

Sunset

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
the gecko is a banded gecko. i caught one in my desert saturday night. where is Kearny at.

AzJohn

Arachnoking
Old Timer
i am going to arizona for a week in the middle of this month! im pretty stoked! i think ill be spending most of my time in the sky islands. will be good to be back for some good herping!

-josh

I've yet to visit the sky islands. Arizona is such a big state. That's one of the places I need to see. That and the Colorado River. I'd like to really explore the hills around Parker on south to Yuma. Please post some pictures.

John

josh_r

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I've yet to visit the sky islands. Arizona is such a big state. That's one of the places I need to see. That and the Colorado River. I'd like to really explore the hills around Parker on south to Yuma. Please post some pictures.

John
ill be sure to post lots of pictures. have you talked to james hall lately?? that lucky sucker!!!

AzJohn

Arachnoking
Old Timer
No, what's James done, Or should I e-mail him.

John

josh_r

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
he is moving to fort worth texas.... reason being.... he got a job as the lead reptile caretaker at the dallas/fort worth zoo!! man... he is going to be working with some COOOOOOL species!!! like bothriechis aurifer, cryptelytrops kanburiensis, andrias japonica, chryptobranchus, etc. luck luck dog!!

-josh