Hello there, why not take a few seconds to register on our forums and become part of the community? Just click here.

Reasons I love AZ

Discussion in 'Field Trips (Natural Habitats)' started by AzJohn, Nov 28, 2008.

1. Advertisement
    Wow!

Your in herp/entomologist heaven! X-D

2. psychoticpengwn

psychoticpengwn Arachnopeon

That snake there apears to be a garter snake im not 100% sure though i see those atleats once a summer out at my place. Btw what part of az did you find that cricket at I love those things but dont see to many out my way

3. agama

agama Arachnosquire

is that a whip scorpion

4. AzJohn

AzJohn Arachnoking Old Timer

Yes, It's native to Arizona. The ones I've seen are very small. That one could fit on a dime. I genus name is Paraohyrynus mexicanus.

5. Night snake :) Cool little guys
    And what do you mean you're not tall enough to catch the P. mexicanus?

6. AzJohn

Hello, and thanks for the nice replys and discussions.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2010
  7. AzJohn

Night collecting, Superstition Mts. Foothills
    Early evening to 9:30PM
    Feel Free to help ID some of the inverts

8. AzJohn

A few more

9. cacoseraph

cacoseraph ArachnoGod Old Timer

10. AzJohn

It's crazy when you go out exploring, you see all kinds of inverts, scorpions, tarantulas, snakes. The only thing I was afraid to handle was a cricket. That thing was close to 2".

John

11. cacoseraph

they make a hissing noise (at least species around southern CA do) and do these crazy like, gymnastics to make you put them down

pretty neat bugs. if you ever do decide to collect some don't put two in the same container... you just end up with one fat one :/

i've played with quite a few and i don't think i have ever been bitten. they are strangely intimidating, though. i was scared of them and roaches when i was a kid :)

12. AzJohn

They eat meat. Maybe I should have kept it. I just saw your bite report. I hate to say it, but I laughed out loud at the pictures. It reminded me of my dog not wanting to let go of it's bone.
    http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?p=1416684#post1416684

13. cacoseraph

silly thing didn't want to let go

have to admire her moxie

also, i don't think i have ever just found one potato bug in an area... they are usually one of the most common "big" bugs that i find. and they can get BIG! i have seen them well over 3" in the past and find ~3" somewhat regularily

14. Aundrea

Aundrea Arachnopeon

LOVE the pics.. Im from Arizona and just miss it so much!!!! I live in Ohio now. Been here for 6 years now. All they have here is a bunch of trees and poison ivy!!!! I have that nasty rash all over UGH :8o :mad: :wall: I hope to go visit my family and friends in Arizona next year.. :D

15. josh_r

josh_r Arachnoprince Old Timer

i am going to arizona for a week in the middle of this month! im pretty stoked! i think ill be spending most of my time in the sky islands. will be good to be back for some good herping!

-josh

16. Sunset

Sunset Arachnoknight Old Timer

the gecko is a banded gecko. i caught one in my desert saturday night. where is Kearny at.

17. AzJohn

I've yet to visit the sky islands. Arizona is such a big state. That's one of the places I need to see. That and the Colorado River. I'd like to really explore the hills around Parker on south to Yuma. Please post some pictures.

John

18. josh_r

ill be sure to post lots of pictures. have you talked to james hall lately?? that lucky sucker!!!

19. AzJohn

No, what's James done, Or should I e-mail him.

John

20. josh_r

he is moving to fort worth texas.... reason being.... he got a job as the lead reptile caretaker at the dallas/fort worth zoo!! man... he is going to be working with some COOOOOOL species!!! like bothriechis aurifer, cryptelytrops kanburiensis, andrias japonica, chryptobranchus, etc. luck luck dog!!

-josh

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.