Reasons I love AZ

zonbonzovi

Creeping beneath you
Old Timer
bob- i concur.

josh r- save it. your posts are tedious & contribute absolutely nothing. we get it. you don't like AZ. stay home.

AzJohn

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I think it's sarcasm. Josh is actully very helpfull when it comes to Az inverts and animals. Even planning trips.

zonbonzovi

Creeping beneath you
Old Timer
my apologies- sarcasm doesn't always translate well online.

John Apple

Just a guy
Old Timer
I think it's sarcasm. Josh is actully very helpfull when it comes to Az inverts and animals. Even planning trips.
Yes Josh is VERY helpful when it comes down to all verts and trips

bamato

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I've lived in AZ since '94, and I can think of plenty of other places I'd rather be honestly. However, AZ does have its high points :) The wildlife her is extremely diverse :) It's a giant desert in the metro area, and you can drive 2 hours to lush green mountains :)

Canth

Arachnolord
Old Timer
i dont get why so many people love arizona.... everything there is ugly... the snakes, the scorps, the T's, everything... its all brown and dead looking. i've seen more species of tarantula there than most people. ive seen just about every species of snake and lizard the place has. ive seem trapdoor spider species that are undescribed and probably have never been seen before. i have found rare plants that very few people have seen.... its just all ugly. i'll never go back.
I don't think many people got it, man. I was laughing my ass off while reading this lol.

I'll be ALL over AZ this summer over the course of 10 days on my way to the ATS conference. The planned driving is a little over 3000 miles of driving, mostly in AZ. I'm going to be looking for dwarf Ts and S. heros sp. pedes. As well as some cool scorpion sp, if I can find any. As for herping, I'd really like to find some pyros and green rats as well as a few Crotalus! I can't wait!

josh_r

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
lol! i'm surprised it took so long to get anybody heated. i would have to say arizona is one of the BEST states to herp and collect inverts. there is more diversity found in arizona than just about any other state. i definitely will be doing trips in the future in arizona. if anyone taking a trip to arizona needs any tips to finding stuff or where to go, feel free to ask. i have seen more stuff there than i ever wished to see. arizona and southern california was a good experience for me.

so if you see me on here bashing on arizona... believe every word of it!! i'm serious! i wouldn't say it if it weren't true!

-josh

josh_r

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
bob- i concur.

josh r- save it. your posts are tedious & contribute absolutely nothing. we get it. you don't like AZ. stay home.
oh, if you check out some of my posts, they have contributed to alot. especially the native dwarfs.

anyhoo all this behind now. so, im curious... what undisclosed bog in washington do you live in??? i know a few bogs down in the olympia area where i live. a very interesting habitat. there is a lake here that has a giant floating matt of roots and sphagnum that you can walk on and every step you take feels like you are going to fall through into the water. the whole matt ripples and waves with each step... kinda like throwing a rock in water. same rippling effect. its pretty cool.

zonbonzovi

Creeping beneath you
Old Timer
i'll have to check out some of your AZ posts- going down for the ATS conference in July! maybe i can pick your brain on locating the elusive, native Scolopendra sp. they have in the region?:drool: :drool: :drool:

my bog is about 45 minutes N. of you, but I'm guessing your bog is somewhere near the Offut lake drainage area? or maybe Black river(cool place)? i fell through one of these floaters while fishing by the steel bridge & fortunately had a buddy to extract me from the muck. great place to see various salamander species...

Richard McJimsey

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i'll have to check out some of your AZ posts- going down for the ATS conference in July! maybe i can pick your brain on locating the elusive, native Scolopendra sp. they have in the region?:drool: :drool: :drool:

my bog is about 45 minutes N. of you, but I'm guessing your bog is somewhere near the Offut lake drainage area? or maybe Black river(cool place)? i fell through one of these floaters while fishing by the steel bridge & fortunately had a buddy to extract me from the muck. great place to see various salamander species...
You going to be driving?

zonbonzovi

Creeping beneath you
Old Timer
Hey Rick- my wife and I are flying down. Will rent a car and spend a few days exploring the desert before the conference. You going?

AzJohn

Arachnoking
Old Timer

I've got some great spots in Northern and Central Az. Rio Rico is farther south than i usually go. Their are some great sites in the mountains of southern Az.

zonbonzovi

Creeping beneath you
Old Timer
"I've got some great spots in Northern and Central Az. Rio Rico is farther south than i usually go. Their are some great sites in the mountains of southern Az."

Hey there- are there any locales in particular that you've had success in that you wouldn't mind sharing?

josh_r

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i have an posting at the ALIEN site with localities for just about any T you want to find in AZ along with pics of most. the only localities i dont give out are my behlei localities. there are probably a dozen or so species listed...

Richard McJimsey

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I've got some great spots in Northern and Central Az. Rio Rico is farther south than i usually go. Their are some great sites in the mountains of southern Az.
Watch what you say about the localities, you might find reptist down there digging up your burrows next time you visit.

reptist

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
???

What was that Dig for Rick, Hate to make you seem an idiot but ask anyone who Knows/has collected w/ me, I havent dug up a spider burrow yet and advise against it to all concerned, I collect at night when the spiders are out away from the burrow so have no need to dig up anything, you realy dont know me or anything about me so I'd appreciate it if you could keep the unimformed B.S. digs to yourself, why so self rightious when you clearly havent a clue, you dont know me, or anything about collecting in AZ, please dont pretend to, it makes you appear glib. PEACE B.

AzJohn

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Brandon is one of the few people I've ever shared sight info with. I've never seen Brandon selling a ton of inverts from those sights. (I've seen other dealers that have made me wonder). A lot of areas in the state are prone to development. New roads and housing units are poping up every where. In fact I'm going to hit an area pretty hard next weekend because of that. I'll post some pictures of what I'm talking about latter.

John

josh_r

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
inverts are soooo thick in arizona and most have ranges WAAAAAAY bigger than most people realize. i am not worried about giving out localities after learning what i have learned down there. there is hundreds of square miles of virtually unaccessible land down there and i dont see any of the species being exterpated or extinct..... or even my favorite spots being completely cleaned out. though... i must say, the pajarito mts have been picked pretty good in certain areas. just gotta find new spots. what can you do.... there are a few peoiple out there cleaning the hell out of populations and i dont think brandon is one of them... though i think his ego is a bit big, from what i hear from friends that know him personally, he is a legit keeper and doesnt destroy native populations. brandon, i gotta admit man, some of your posts crack me up dude! lol!!!! good stuff.

-josh