Potential Craigslist acquisition

Paiige

Arachnobaron
Alright so I'm going to pick up this big boy tonight. I'm assuming she has him in a 10gal enclosure...would it be better for the sake of transport to bring a smaller cup or deli container? I've never transported an adult before and I'd imagine the cold air will get into a 10gal much quicker than a deli cup. But I'm also skeptical to put a frisky MM into something smaller and stress him out.
Also she's giving him to me for less than $50 so that's cool and am arranging a day to bring him to my LPS this weekend :happy:
I hope he's able to do the deed!

Trenor

Arachnoprince
I'd move him into something smaller. Any snap top container the right size would work fine.

Paiige

Arachnobaron
I'd move him into something smaller. Any snap top container the right size would work fine.
Yeah I figured. I'm getting things ready now, it's going to be tough getting through a day of work.

Is it bad that I'm almost as excited for a full giant bag of eco earth as I am for the T? o_O:D

Trenor

Arachnoprince
Yeah I figured. I'm getting things ready now, it's going to be tough getting through a day of work.

Is it bad that I'm almost as excited for a full giant bag of eco earth as I am for the T? o_O:D
Haha, no. I like the extra stuff I get when buying Ts. We can all use extra substrate. On top of that, a 10 gallon tank modded will make some large arboreal T very happy. :)

Paiige

Arachnobaron
Price is down to $30. I did some research and that seems like a heck of a deal for a MM, eco earth and all his tank goodies (especially that heat mat! ;)) :D Today is a good day!

Trenor

Arachnoprince
Price is down to $30. I did some research and that seems like a heck of a deal for a MM, eco earth and all his tank goodies (especially that heat mat! ;)) :D Today is a good day!
That is a great deal even if he is a bit old. Nice score.

basin79

ArachnoGod
You lucky bar steward.

Ghost56

Arachnobaron
30 bucks is pretty much worth it for the tank alone and heat mat if you happen to keep reptiles or feel like reselling. Like cold blood said too, if he truly did molt 6 months ago, I'm sure he's still ready to do the deeds.

Paiige

Arachnobaron
30 bucks is pretty much worth it for the tank alone and heat mat if you happen to keep reptiles or feel like reselling. Like cold blood said too, if he truly did molt 6 months ago, I'm sure he's still ready to do the deeds.
I'm not a reptile keeper but I can't say that won't ever change so it's definitely a good thing to have on hand just in case. I'm excited to get to see this guy in person - he does look a little on the rough side but hopefully some good husbandry will keep him happy until it's time for him to do his thing. Worst case scenario, he becomes a snack and at least doesn't have to spend his final days wasting away.

Necromion

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Something to remember is Grammastola have been known to have post ultimate molts as MM, he could make it and live a while longer. Either way for the cost I would pick the poor guy up and at least try to get him a dance partner.

Paiige

Arachnobaron
Something to remember is Grammastola have been known to have post ultimate molts as MM, he could make it and live a while longer. Either way for the cost I would pick the poor guy up and at least try to get him a dance partner.
I have heard that. Now just out of curiosity, could he potentially do the deed and then continue living? From what I've heard they usually kick the bucket pretty shortly after being paired. Is it possible he will live on to knock up many more G. pulchra ladies?

He has a dance partner waiting and ready to go :D

Edit: Just found a thread from 2008 in which a person said all of his G. pulchra lived for 3+ years after their ultimate molt. Not sure if there was breeding involved but either way it's a good thing to know.

Last edited:

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
From what I've read/understood so far, it is not the pairing that makes a male deteriorate. It doesn't matter if a male has paired or not. Of course, the female eating te male in question makes for speedy deterioration after pairing :D

Paiige

Arachnobaron
From what I've read/understood so far, it is not the pairing that makes a male deteriorate. It doesn't matter if a male has paired or not. Of course, the female eating te male in question makes for speedy deterioration after pairing :D
I was thinking it was more that they've accomplished their life's purpose and just kind of...resigned

Necromion

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
mostly it all depends on his will to live i would say... I mean i had a MM rosea who lived for about a year and a half after i got him and he was hooked out when i got him.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
I was thinking it was more that they've accomplished their life's purpose and just kind of...resigned
But his life's purpose is to mate with as many females as he can to pass on his genes. So while he is able to move about he still has work to do. :D

cold blood

Staff member
Yes, but its super rare to see, and even rarer to see it successfully...I've only heard of rosies being successful personally....and even if he did molt successfully, he would no longer be viable.

cold blood

Staff member
But his life's purpose is to mate with as many females as he can to pass on his genes. So while he is able to move about he still has work to do. :D
Yep, I find that after a MM has successfully bred, future pairings will see that male being considerably more aggressive with females in an attempt to mate again.

I had an MM avic avic. The first 5 pairings he showed interest, but never sealed the deal, just a lot of chasing and following around. But once he finally was successful, he went straight to it with the next 4 females like it was his job....well, cause it was his job.

Last edited:

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer

Wait. So I've gotta be reclassified as a tarantula? Oh great, I bet there is a lot of paperwork involved... :eek:

Oh well. Guess I better start tagging.

@ Ladies of Arachnoboards

:D ;)