Potential Craigslist acquisition

Paiige

Arachnobaron
So he is 100% male, got a shot of his hooks. I'm a little worried about him dying within a few days since she said his ultimate molt was about six months ago. However she did say he JUST ate very well so I'm taking that as a good sign! I'm excited :D

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
So he is 100% male, got a shot of his hooks. I'm a little worried about him dying within a few days since she said his ultimate molt was about six months ago. However she did say he JUST ate very well so I'm taking that as a good sign! I'm excited :D
Make sure he still makes sperm webs

Paiige

Arachnobaron
Make sure he still makes sperm webs
They stop?

I've been fortunate enough to have all females until this point so I don't have a ton of experience with males and everything that goes into breeding. The woman said she cleaned up all of his webbing about a month ago when she changed his substrate but hasn't noticed anything since then...but I also know they can make a sperm web and tear it down within an hour if they choose to.

edit: if he ate fairly recently (within the last week) is it possible that he's not on a decline and "past his prime?"

Last edited:

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
They stop?

I've been fortunate enough to have all females until this point so I don't have a ton of experience with males and everything that goes into breeding. The woman said she cleaned up all of his webbing about a month ago when she changed his substrate but hasn't noticed anything since then...but I also know they can make a sperm web and tear it down within an hour if they choose to.
I seem to remember reading that there's a window of a few months where fertilization is the most likely to occur, but I am not a breeder or expert on the topic, so hopefully someone else knows for sure.

P.S. All females? ALL?

Paiige

Arachnobaron
Well, almost all. Except for (ironically) my G. pulchra. I don't count my hubby's GBB because he's his, a jerk, and we're not friends. :p

Hopefully someone does chime in soon. He molted about 6 months ago, give or take, so half of me is freaking out thinking he could keel over and die any second so I should go get him asap because store credit and more Ts... but the other half is picturing me taking a long drive, spending the money, bringing him to the LPS and finding out he's too old and then I wasted a bunch of time and now have to watch a handsome old chap waste away and die.

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
They stop?

edit: if he ate fairly recently (within the last week) is it possible that he's not on a decline and "past his prime?"
Yeah the males basically give up on living if they're too old or have mated already. A guy who works for a local pet shop told me he kept a MM alive for two years and decided to breed him, and the male died THE NEXT DAY. But yes they become impotent and stop making sperm webs in old age.

Paiige

Arachnobaron
Here's a photo of the old man's hooks while I'm waiting and fighting with myself over what to do :hurting:

Attachments

Paiige

Arachnobaron
Yeah the males basically give up on living if they're too old or have mated already. A guy who works for a local pet shop told me he kept a MM alive for two years and decided to breed him, and the male died THE NEXT DAY. But yes they become impotent and stop making sperm webs in old age.
So would it be safe to assume that if he's still eating and his abdomen doesn't look like a sad raisin that it's possible he hasn't given up yet?

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
So would it be safe to assume that if he's still eating and his abdomen doesn't look like a sad raisin that it's possible he hasn't given up yet?
Idk maybe. MM are really unpredictable. For example, TarantulaAddict from Youtube has kept males alive for years even if they had mated. If the male is eating then he's not gonna die soon, but I don't think that's an indication of his fertility. In one of his saddest feeding videos, TA said "Next up, we have Dave, my mature male A. chalcodes. He's retired now... he doesn't make sperm webs any more." And I couldn't help but feel sad :(

Paiige

Arachnobaron
Hey if you do happen to get a good egg sac before summer I'd like to buy some of the sling off of ya :)
I wouldn't be breeding him, he'd be going off to a very reputable LPS with an AF ready to go. Otherwise, slings for everyone! :D
I need one of the masters to chime in on this :(

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
I wouldn't be breeding him, he'd be going off to a very reputable LPS with an AF ready to go. Otherwise, slings for everyone! :D
I need one of the masters to chime in on this :(
Well then in that case, I shall begin the demonic chant to summon an expert of all trades. And by demonic chant, I mean I'm just gonna type @cold blood
Now he'll be alerted to this post :D

cold blood

Staff member
50 bucks for a MM is a good deal and a quick flip is in order. It's a desirable male.
Yes, very desirable male indeed! I would put pulchra as one of the top 5 most overall desirable species in the hobby...people freaking love these things. A typical MM price is about $50...for a valuable one like this, its more. Being that you have an outlet (the LPS) to trade with, its a good bet to do so.

It was advertised as female. I asked if it was confirmed and she said no. I think the price is firm, includes a heat mat (lol), enclosure and extra substrate.

And I might grab it if it's MM anyway, see if I can find someone who wants to breed him. It's about an hour and a half drive so hopefully he doesn't kick the bucket immediately.
And it comes with a heat mat!! That's the clincher.:D

If this was a fast grower like P. cam or something, I would tell you not to waste your time with a 6 month old MM...but being that pulchra is pretty much the opposite....I'd be surprised if he wasn't still viable. I've heard of them living for 2 years or more after maturing...in that respect, 6 months is practically fresh (its not, but you know what I mean).

Good luck.

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
Actually... I'm only just now reading the first few posts... I wouldn't waste your time on this. The current owner 1: advertised a tarantula with emboli as female, 2: is keeping it on rocks, 3: is apparently using a heat mat, and 4: said she didn't have him on the best diet but as soon as you told her it was a male she said he just ate "very well". Someone who thought a MM was a female and is doing these other things probably has no idea what they're doing or what the significance of a male is, and might be lying to you about the date of his last molt. Alarm bells are going off right now for me.

Paiige

Arachnobaron
Yes, very desirable male indeed! I would put pulchra as one of the top 5 most overall desirable species in the hobby...people freaking love these things. A typical MM price is about $50...for a valuable one like this, its more. Being that you have an outlet (the LPS) to trade with, its a good bet to do so.

And it comes with a heat mat!! That's the clincher.:D

If this was a fast grower like P. cam or something, I would tell you not to waste your time with a 6 month old MM...but being that pulchra is pretty much the opposite....I'd be surprised if he wasn't still viable. I've heard of them living for 2 years or more after maturing...in that respect, 6 months is practically fresh (its not, but you know what I mean).

Good luck.
Thanks for the info. The woman I've been dealing with has been very pleasant as well and overall it's been a good experience. She offered to lower the price for me (said she specifically wants me to have him because I'm kind and knowledgeable, and because I sexed him for her and explained what being a MM means for his life expectancy). She seemed really pleased that I'd be acquiring him for the purpose of breeding. I'm going to pick him up tomorrow night and will be talking with the LPS owner more tomorrow. Thanks for all the help here guys, I'll post pictures tomorrow when I've got him home safe. He's quite handsome and I'll be proud to know he may be helping bring more little black beauties into the hobby.

Actually... I'm only just now reading the first few posts... I wouldn't waste your time on this. The current owner 1: advertised a tarantula with emboli as female, 2: is keeping it on rocks, 3: is apparently using a heat mat, and 4: said she didn't have him on the best diet but as soon as you told her it was a male she said he just ate "very well". Someone who thought a MM was a female and is doing these other things probably has no idea what they're doing or what the significance of a male is, and might be lying to you about the date of his last molt. Alarm bells are going off right now for me.
The first question I asked her was if it was a confirmed female and she said no right off the bat - had just been calling it female.
She also said she hasn't been taking the best care of it but that doesn't mean she's not feeding it. And even before I brought up the possibility of him being male, she had told me approximately when the last molt was. She seems extremely genuine and it doesn't appear to be in a serious state of decline, just a MM with poor husbandry. If she hadn't offered to lower the price I'd be more skeptical. She also said that she wouldn't be upset if I decided he's not worth it and has been very kind. I can't imagine she'd be purposefully lying about something she doesn't understand the significance of.

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
The first question I asked her was if it was a confirmed female and she said no right off the bat - had just been calling it female.She also said she hasn't been taking the best care of it but that doesn't mean she's not feeding it. And even before I brought up the possibility of him being male, she had told me approximately when the last molt was. She seems extremely genuine and it doesn't appear to be in a serious state of decline, just a MM with poor husbandry. If she hadn't offered to lower the price I'd be more skeptical. She also said that she wouldn't be upset if I decided he's not worth it and has been very kind. I can't imagine she'd be purposefully lying about something she doesn't understand the significance of.
Well then in that case nothing seems sketchy

G. pulchra

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Contrary to what's been said above, $50 is worth the risk here if you know somebody who could give him a shot at mating. There is alway risk/reward in any transaction, this one seems like low risk to me.

Kayis

Arachnopeon
Even @50$ and the drive i'd take the risk, especially since you already have a someone in place for him. Worst case scenario your out gas and $50 or whatever price you can drive it down to. Best case scenario breeding is successful and you obtain slings that will definitely bring in funding for future purchases etc. That or just work out an immediate trade for it and once it's out of your hands you take no responsibility. Just make sure to disclose info on it to the person taking him on.