Species Poecilotheria metallica

BobGrill

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Beautiful. I would like to get one of these. It would be awesome if they got as big as the "Red Slates", but they're still very nice to look at. Definitely gotta buy one as a sling unless you have a good paying job :p.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I think it's prettiest species out there, but I'm partial to blue.

Tomoran

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Wow...they are so gorgeous. This is one of the species I like to show people who say Tarantulas are "ugly". Beautiful!

BobGrill

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
People who say that are stupid. Because all tarantulas are just plain brown spiders...

Tomoran

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Ha! Of course they are. I had two people refuse to believe that the pics I showed them of P. metalica and C. cyaneopubescens were real animals. "No way...those are Photoshopped." Ugh.

People who say that are stupid. Because all tarantulas are just plain brown spiders...

Remingtonsteel

Arachnopeon
Nice pics,over here in Ireland it'd be hard to get your hands on an A.mettalica!,most of the cooler species are so rare over here

shaneshac

Arachnosquire
Nice pics. You should decrease the aperture to get more of the spider in focus

powerpro23

Arachnopeon
I thought I would share the before and after of my female p.metallica. these are ventral shots but I still find that it is a big transition from sling to juvi. enjoy! 100_7507.jpg 100_7329.jpg

Enn49

Arachnosquire
Finally I can now get some half decent pics of this little guy/gal. It's been in a very opaque tub so although it's out and about most of the time pics were impossible but today I rehoused it. It's around 1.5 ins now.

New home

fuzzyavics72

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Very nice p metallica and enclosure!! I would get rid of those woods chips though. Where do you get those enclosures at?

Enn49

Arachnosquire
Very nice p metallica and enclosure!! I would get rid of those woods chips though. Where do you get those enclosures at?
Thank you. The wood chips are part of the ingredients of the Spiderlife substrate I buy, made by ProRep.

The tall enclosure that the P. metallica is in was from a local UK supermarket and the smaller one is from http://uk.search.yahoo.com/search?ourmark=1&ei=utf-8&fr=nectar-tb-v3&slv8-&type=61465&p=bugzarre, a UK online firm who will ship worldwide.

fuzzyavics72

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Why does ProRep. use wood chips in their substrate? Wood chips are so bad. And that's awesome, thank you so much!

Enn49

Arachnosquire
Why does ProRep. use wood chips in their substrate? Wood chips are so bad. And that's awesome, thank you so much!
I rang ProRep and asked and the info came from the guy who designed it. Apparently the wood chips are harmless unless ingested (unlikely a T would eat it) and are used to give bulk to the substrate for burrowers to reduce the risk of tunnels collapsing.

Rayenicole

Arachnopeon
I rang ProRep and asked and the info came from the guy who designed it. Apparently the wood chips are harmless unless ingested (unlikely a T would eat it) and are used to give bulk to the substrate for burrowers to reduce the risk of tunnels collapsing.
The rep seems to be misinformed. The woodchips can retain pesticides and chemicals and even if they don't they're abrasive. With an arboreal I could concede that it probably isn't likely to cause an issue. I would be wary of using that substrate for a terrestrial, especially those that like to burrow. The woodchips can cause abrasions or even lacerations to a heavy bodied T that is dragging itself through tight tunnels and digging.

Enn49

Arachnosquire
The rep seems to be misinformed. The woodchips can retain pesticides and chemicals and even if they don't they're abrasive. With an arboreal I could concede that it probably isn't likely to cause an issue. I would be wary of using that substrate for a terrestrial, especially those that like to burrow. The woodchips can cause abrasions or even lacerations to a heavy bodied T that is dragging itself through tight tunnels and digging.
I have rung ProRep again and am waiting for the guy who designed the substrate to get back to me (probably tomorrow) so I will post his response.

Most of our Ts don't burrow but now you have me worried that that may have been the cause of my tiny C. fasciatum's death as it spent all it's time underground and tomorrow I have 4 burrowers arriving and their new homes are all set up with Spiderlife.