Pink toe tarantula care

Beastie

Arachnoknight
So I went ahead and ordered the first one I posted and the cork bark which I'm hoping I can carefully cut to size if it's too long. For the night I pulled some of the BS that was crowding her cage out, gave her a better/clean water dish and a few small crickets since that is unfortunately all I have at the moment.

Beastie

Arachnoknight
Also, really stupid question.... how on earth do I tell if prekilled prey has been munched on? :lurking:

Trenor

Arachnoprince
Also, really stupid question.... how on earth do I tell if prekilled prey has been munched on? :lurking:
I place one pre killed prey in at them time and come back later to see if it has been moved or if part of it has been eaten. With the size of your T it will usually eat a whole cricket at the time so if it is gone the T is eating.

Beastie

Arachnoknight
I place one pre killed prey in at them time and come back later to see if it has been moved or if part of it has been eaten. With the size of your T it will usually eat a whole cricket at the time so if it is gone the T is eating.
What about with a .5"sling? (My other T)

Trenor

Arachnoprince
Cut the cricket to the correct feeding size and then leave it near the tarantula. Most of the time they will do the same but at time they will leave some leftovers.

Mauri

Arachnoknight
Currently have 5 avic slings and am using soup containers that I got from the supermarket. I previously used 32 oz containers (bought from the spidershop) which were ok but I think 2 big. The difference with my current ones is I used bits of cork bark stuck to the sides with Aquarium glue (leave for 48hrs before using).

I got 3 of the slings on saturday and have already started webbing. They like anchor points and prefer a narrower top. The shape of my current enclosures is still wide enough for maintenance but it seems to suit them more.

(only downside is they can web nr the top which makes things a bit tricky. The one though has made a nice carpet and hangs in mid air...looks very cool and makes feeding very easy. If you want a vid I have done on how to do these send me a pm.

I prefer to tong feed direct to the T whenever poss as it shows me he/she is hungry. Takes practice as u need to catch the leg of 2nd instar or smaller crickets. Usually their abs and the fact they dont grab at their food (which they will) should indicated a pre-moult. (not always and make sure your pre-killed is def dead).

p.s blacks are easier to catch than browns. :)

cold blood

Staff member
I'm trying to find the least expensive option as we have a pretty tight budget at the moment. I will look through those threads for suggestions. I don't want to move her until I have her set up right but I definitely want to do it sooner than later with her current conditions. Should I put the tp roll burrow in whatever new cage I set up?
The best, least expensive option is a sterilite tub, which can be had for $6. In fact all my set ups cost $10 or less, including everything but the t.
Where can I find cork bark?
If you are on a budget, you shouldn't even be looking at cork...its nice and all, but its really expensive...ungodly expensive when you think that there is free wood all over the planet waiting to be utilized.
Okay I think the plan is going to have to be to move her after next payday so I can get her set up good. In the meantime I know that her set up now absolutely needs to be cleaned, what is going to be the best approach for that?
With a sterilite set up, you shouldn't need to wait, you could probably find the $ in the couch cushions.

You're talking plastic right? Would something like a snack jar of similar size work? Would I be better off getting something like that or just using the KK on its side?
Snack jars like crone and hell showed (which are nice set ups) are something I will always avoid. Anything with a necked down top or area of entrance, is simply a hindrance to your ability to maintain the enclosure. Wide, easily accessible enclosures are 100 times better IMO.

Would something like this work? Or do I need to go bigger still? And yes I know cage furniture is a must.
Yes that would work, although I personally prefer a little more room for the t.

This is a set up in a sterilite tub...I love them because they are cheap, easily accessible, and offer plenty of room to set up a naturalistic type enclosure.

Attachments

Beastie

Arachnoknight
The best, least expensive option is a sterilite tub, which can be had for $6. In fact all my set ups cost $10 or less, including everything but the t.

If you are on a budget, you shouldn't even be looking at cork...its nice and all, but its really expensive...ungodly expensive when you think that there is free wood all over the planet waiting to be utilized.

With a sterilite set up, you shouldn't need to wait, you could probably find the $ in the couch cushions.

Snack jars like crone and hell showed (which are nice set ups) are something I will always avoid. Anything with a necked down top or area of entrance, is simply a hindrance to your ability to maintain the enclosure. Wide, easily accessible enclosures are 100 times better IMO.

Yes that would work, although I personally prefer a little more room for the t.

This is a set up in a sterilite tub...I love them because they are cheap, easily accessible, and offer plenty of room to set up a naturalistic type enclosure.
I got the one I posted which will work good for now I think, I went ahead and got the cork bark too it should be here tomorrow or the next day and then I can hopefully get this girl into a nice cozy set up. Is a spaghetti jar lid going to be alright for water?

cold blood

Staff member
I'd use something a little deeper...like the lid from peanutbutter (which is what you see in my enclosures I posted).

Oh, and like viper said, a t enclosure is no place for a tp roll.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
So I went ahead and ordered the first one I posted and the cork bark which I'm hoping I can carefully cut to size if it's too long. For the night I pulled some of the BS that was crowding her cage out, gave her a better/clean water dish and a few small crickets since that is unfortunately all I have at the moment.
The easiest way (not the fastest) to cut cork bark that is on the thick side is using a coping saw. You'll want fine tooth blade so you don't rip it apart.

Beastie

Arachnoknight
The easiest way (not the fastest) to cut cork bark that is on the thick side is using a coping saw. You'll want fine tooth blade so you don't rip it apart.
Yeah we have the tools to get it done I'm sure. :)

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I got the one I posted which will work good for now I think, I went ahead and got the cork bark too it should be here tomorrow or the next day and then I can hopefully get this girl into a nice cozy set up. Is a spaghetti jar lid going to be alright for water?
You can use it, but getting something deeper will mean you have to fill it up less. But yes, one may use that.

Also, don't tong feed your Ts, they can damage or lose a fang/fangs on hard metal. A good way of having your T die is when it loses both fangs.

They are perfectly capable of hunting prey alive or pre-killed as slings and adults.

Beastie

Arachnoknight
She came out today and I think she ate for the first time in a long time, now that I know she's hungry maybe I'll toss another cricket or two in for her. How many do adults usually eat at a time? I got large crickets this morning for her.

Attachments

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
She came out today and I think she ate for the first time in a long time, now that I know she's hungry maybe I'll toss another cricket or two in for her. How many do adults usually eat at a time? I got large crickets this morning for her.
How do you know the gender btw??

Depends on the specimen really, all individuals, and it depends on the temperature you keep them at. Higher temps equal faster metabolism.

Given its size, I've had some Avics eat 2-4 crix in a single meal. I have other larger Avics that only eat one at a time. You never know till you try and learn their behavior.

I'd give that Avic at least 3 and see how it does. They won't eat themselves to death.

Also it would be WISE of you to keep a notebook of the date it ate, and how many crix it ate too.

Beastie

Arachnoknight
How do you know the gender btw??

Depends on the specimen really, all individuals, and it depends on the temperature you keep them at. Higher temps equal faster metabolism.

Given its size, I've had some Avics eat 2-4 crix in a single meal. I have other larger Avics that only eat one at a time. You never know till you try and learn their behavior.

I'd give that Avic at least 3 and see how it does. They won't eat themselves to death.

Also it would be WISE of you to keep a notebook of the date it ate, and how many crix it ate too.
I do generally put a note in my phone of feeding schedule for my sling (though she isn't really eating at the moment) so I will definitely keep track of when I feed her. Should I put 2-3 in weekly and take them out after 24 hours until I learn her behavior?

Beastie

Arachnoknight
Oh and I was told gender by previous owner who was told by the dealer (not sure if it's correct or where she got her from).

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I do generally put a note in my phone of feeding schedule for my sling (though she isn't really eating at the moment) so I will definitely keep track of when I feed her. Should I put 2-3 in weekly and take them out after 24 hours until I learn her behavior?
I would do that yes.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
The temps in my house are staying in the mid 70's atm.
That's fine.

Oh and I was told gender by previous owner who was told by the dealer (not sure if it's correct or where she got her from).
You may or may not have a female. Molt confirmation is the best method, that is when one may view their internal organs. One looks at their old exoskeleton basically.

Beastie

Arachnoknight
So I got the container I ordered and decided it it indeed to small. I am going to go to the dollar store and see if they have a 27qt sterlite if not I'll pick one up at Walmart and set her up in that. She ate 2 out of three crickets that I put in (the other idiot drowned) she was out again yesterday during the day so I threw 2 more in and I don't see them anywhere so I think she ate them as well. We will fatten her up in no time. She seems happier since I took some of the crap out of her enclosure, I can't wait to get her into something bigger and better!