Pink toe tarantula care

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
So I got the container I ordered and decided it it indeed to small. I am going to go to the dollar store and see if they have a 27qt sterlite if not I'll pick one up at Walmart and set her up in that. She ate 2 out of three crickets that I put in (the other idiot drowned) she was out again yesterday during the day so I threw 2 more in and I don't see them anywhere so I think she ate them as well. We will fatten her up in no time. She seems happier since I took some of the crap out of her enclosure, I can't wait to get her into something bigger and better!
Eating is always a good sign. If you want a check of the new home once setup, post up pics in this thread BEFORE adding her in. We'd be happy to check it out.

Beastie

Arachnoknight
Her enclosure is clean and has fresh substrate and a new tube (I know I know but it's better than nothing for the next week until we can get her into her new enclosure with her corkbark hide) I just wanted to share a picture of her out of the hidey hole. I can't wait to get her into something better, we may even end up buying an actual Exo Terra enclosure since I will have income now too.

Attachments

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Her enclosure is clean and has fresh substrate and a new tube (I know I know but it's better than nothing for the next week until we can get her into her new enclosure with her corkbark hide) I just wanted to share a picture of her out of the hidey hole. I can't wait to get her into something better, we may even end up buying an actual Exo Terra enclosure since I will have income now too.
She looks better and so does the KK, thank god. Also if you go ExoTerra, you'll need to replace the screen lid w/acrylic. See here http://arachnoboards.com/threads/ex...rom-arboreal-to-terrestrial-pic-heavy.259864/

Beastie

Arachnoknight
The best, least expensive option is a sterilite tub, which can be had for $6. In fact all my set ups cost $10 or less, including everything but the t.

If you are on a budget, you shouldn't even be looking at cork...its nice and all, but its really expensive...ungodly expensive when you think that there is free wood all over the planet waiting to be utilized.

With a sterilite set up, you shouldn't need to wait, you could probably find the $ in the couch cushions.

Snack jars like crone and hell showed (which are nice set ups) are something I will always avoid. Anything with a necked down top or area of entrance, is simply a hindrance to your ability to maintain the enclosure. Wide, easily accessible enclosures are 100 times better IMO.

Yes that would work, although I personally prefer a little more room for the t.

This is a set up in a sterilite tub...I love them because they are cheap, easily accessible, and offer plenty of room to set up a naturalistic type enclosure.
What dimensions are those sterlite and are you using them for aboreal or terrestrial?

cold blood

Staff member
What dimensions are those sterlite and are you using them for aboreal or terrestrial?
Sterilite comes in all sizes, there's something for every species that works.

The ones I had posted both Have adult avicularis in them...one aciv avic, the other urticans.

12" long, 8" deep and 11.5" high.

Crone Returns

Arachnoangel

The ones I had posted both Have adult avicularis in them...one aciv avic, the other urticans.

I'm going to have to get something with those dimensions for my juvie M Avic avic. You're right. It's hard getting my hand in and out to clean his water dish. Sigh. He's so cute and fuzzy.

Beastie

Arachnoknight

Thanks! I just wanted to make sure the one I got was going to be adequate.

Beastie

Arachnoknight
I have a question, I have some coconut bark substrate that was put into a Tupperware container after being moistened to make it loose (it was the brick) it's been in there for about a month (it was given to me) I don't see any mold but am mildly concerned since it's been enclosed in there for awhile. My options are to bake sterilize it in the oven, use it without doing anything, or toss it and get some new.

Beastie

Arachnoknight
The best, least expensive option is a sterilite tub, which can be had for $6. In fact all my set ups cost $10 or less, including everything but the t.

If you are on a budget, you shouldn't even be looking at cork...its nice and all, but its really expensive...ungodly expensive when you think that there is free wood all over the planet waiting to be utilized.

With a sterilite set up, you shouldn't need to wait, you could probably find the $ in the couch cushions.

Snack jars like crone and hell showed (which are nice set ups) are something I will always avoid. Anything with a necked down top or area of entrance, is simply a hindrance to your ability to maintain the enclosure. Wide, easily accessible enclosures are 100 times better IMO.

Yes that would work, although I personally prefer a little more room for the t.

This is a set up in a sterilite tub...I love them because they are cheap, easily accessible, and offer plenty of room to set up a naturalistic type enclosure.
Cold blooded could I beg you for a few more pictures of your wonderful set ups? I'm getting ready to put mine baby's enclosure together and I need ideas! Also I notice in your two pics that one has vent holes right above the substrate as well as a few inches from the top and the other only has them towards the top; which would be better? I'm about the get out the drill.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
I have a question, I have some coconut bark substrate that was put into a Tupperware container after being moistened to make it loose (it was the brick) it's been in there for about a month (it was given to me) I don't see any mold but am mildly concerned since it's been enclosed in there for awhile. My options are to bake sterilize it in the oven, use it without doing anything, or toss it and get some new.
I wouldn't worry about it. If you can't see any mold it's likely fine.

Beastie

Arachnoknight
Okay folks, how do we look? The plants are stuck through vent holes right now should I glue them down? Do I need to add anything else the climb on other than the corkbark tube? I followed Cold Blooded's lead for my vent holes on the length sides, I only did the ones an inch above the substrate on the depth side. Will that be enough? Should I add more on the depth side? Do I need any in the lid? Can I make some kind of small hole in the lid that I can plug/cover to drop in food without disturbing her? I'm so anxious and excited to get her in here (her water dish will be added as well) so hurry up and answer me lol, kidding kidding.... kinda kidding. :angelic: :smug:

The last picture is basically option 2, I was thinking it would be a more attractive water dish and something else to climb on though I'm wondering if cleaning it out would be too difficult. Let me know your thoughts.

Attachments

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Okay folks, how do we look? The plants are stuck through vent holes right now should I glue them down? Do I need to add anything else the climb on other than the corkbark tube? I followed Cold Blooded's lead for my vent holes on the length sides, I only did the ones an inch above the substrate on the depth side. Will that be enough? Should I add more on the depth side? Do I need any in the lid? Can I make some kind of small hole in the lid that I can plug/cover to drop in food without disturbing her? I'm so anxious and excited to get her in here (her water dish will be added as well) so hurry up and answer me lol, kidding kidding.... kinda kidding. :angelic: :smug:

The last picture is basically option 2, I was thinking it would be a more attractive water dish and something else to climb on though I'm wondering if cleaning it out would be too difficult. Let me know your thoughts.
You want to make sure the plants don't fall. Do whatever works for you, hot glue etc.

I personally would put more cage furniture in the center of the container, plants mostly, it's a bit too sparse. Some people use those fake, bendable chameleon vines as support to add more plants on top etc. Some people use PVC pipes, or make PVC look like bamboo, some use bamboo or other woods. I also recommend cork because it's so mold resistant and it's light.

You can make holes to make husbandry easier as you wondered. I do that for watering.

Beastie

Arachnoknight
You want to make sure the plants don't fall. Do whatever works for you, hot glue etc.

I personally would put more cage furniture in the center of the container, plants mostly, it's a bit too sparse. Some people use those fake, bendable chameleon vines as support to add more plants on top etc. Some people use PVC pipes, or make PVC look like bamboo, some use bamboo or other woods. I also recommend cork because it's so mold resistant and it's light.

You can make holes to make husbandry easier as you wondered. I do that for watering.
Corkbark is what is in there now. Did you see the last picture? Would that work for extra cage furniture? I can put it anywhere in there if it would I used all of the fake plant I bought but can move them around as needed just tell me where would work best. I would like to use something I have (or can get outside) so I can get her in it today if possible.

Beastie

Arachnoknight
Also I'm totally open to pictures of other people's set ups so I can get an example.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I'd fill a lot of that empty space w/plastic plants, At least 1/3 of it, maybe even 2/3.

Beastie

Arachnoknight
I'd fill a lot of that empty space w/plastic plants, At least 1/3 of it, maybe even 2/3.
Can I get some cheap fake plants at the dollar store (only store in my town) and use them? Would they be safe? Would I be alright using the rock water dish in there as well the way I have it since it's much nicer to look at than a lid? Or would you keep that out?

Beastie

Arachnoknight
Or will this at least work until I can make it to town for more plants?

Beastie

Arachnoknight
I could also add this extra limb, I would need to bake it first. It needs to be wet down and baked at 200 for a few hours, correct?