Picky Dubias won’t eat?

444 critters

Arachnosquire
I have seen that a few times recently as well. Always after the eggs have been expelled. Someone in another thread made a funny comment about blowing things out, female wise. It seems that's, indeed, what is going on ;)

Photographed it once, though to be fair it had a crushed head then a P. metallica envenomation.

Prolapse like yours. The creepy thing was it would go in and out, for 20 minutes. Fully in, and fully out, every 30 seconds or so. Probably the venom and contractions?

For clarity, note the expelled/aborted eggs

Those are some great shots btw. 👌

Kada

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
Lots of blenders now are cheapy Chinese plaric types. If you use them, grind very little at a time as to not over heat those plastic gears! When you smell heated plastic fumes, stop.

Spice grinders are excellent. I pay about 210usd and I grind actual wood in them for over 15 years. Much cheaper than 40usd one needing replace the twice per year (15 years worth would be 1200usd).

If broke, good ol fashion elbow grease. Smash. As cheap as a free rock, as expensive as a mortar and pestel

444 critters

Arachnosquire
I personally just just steam rolled oats.. but if you are attempting to make a chow of some sort. A spice grinder is the way

Ultum4Spiderz

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter
I don’t know if they eat All the dog chow or just go crazy 🤪 for it … but they swarm it . I’ll know when I clean out the frass.

IMG_7595.jpeg IMG_7594.jpeg IMG_7593.jpeg
I personally just just steam rolled oats.. but if you are attempting to make a chow of some sort. A spice grinder is the way
I had one but don’t know if it broke or got moved. Instant oats look similar . The mealworms won’t eat unless ground but dubia eat them whole. Orange heads won’t touch them unless ground up.

444 critters

Arachnosquire
I don’t know if they eat All the dog chow or just go crazy 🤪 for it … but they swarm it . I’ll know when I clean out the frass.

View attachment 470747 View attachment 470748 View attachment 470749

I had one but don’t know if it broke or got moved. Instant oats look similar . The mealworms won’t eat unless ground but dubia eat them whole. Orange heads won’t touch them unless ground up.
Like previously stated. Dubia don't need extra protein . The dog food is not good for them. It creates alot of uric acid.. 🤷‍♂️

Fruits and oats work best for me..

Oranges
20240408_175342.jpg

Apples and cantaloupe
Screenshot_20240414_134730_Gallery.jpg

Ultum4Spiderz

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter
Ive had a lot of deaths lowered temps to 80 . I did feed a soft old banana with peel still on , but I don’t think that contributed mayeb there just getting old. IMG_8672.jpeg

Ultum4Spiderz

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter
Like previously stated. Dubia don't need extra protein . The dog food is not good for them. It creates alot of uric acid.. 🤷‍♂️

Fruits and oats work best for me..

Oranges
View attachment 470937

Apples and cantaloupe
View attachment 470938
I’ll try that.
Is it normal to have as many deaths as in my last post in 2-3 months?
I’m not sure if there running out of space but they are hanging out ontop the egg cartons a lot . Is 80 degrees on the heat pad too low to breed or not ?
IMG_8896.jpeg IMG_8894.jpeg

Ultum4Spiderz

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter
I had to add more ventilation I might carry the bin back upstairs for the extra average degree temperature. Is 80 degrees too low should I raise colony’s mat to 85?
IMG_8907.jpeg IMG_8911.jpeg

I think the air conditioning is causing the condensation since I added more holes.???

444 critters

Arachnosquire
I’ll try that.
Is it normal to have as many deaths as in my last post in 2-3 months?
I’m not sure if there running out of space but they are hanging out ontop the egg cartons a lot . Is 80 degrees on the heat pad too low to breed or not ?
View attachment 474188 View attachment 474189
The thermostat on my bin is set at 92°.. and deaths happen. I believe they only live for 2 years. Sometimes they can die from old age, bad molts, etc. I try to let mine be as much as possible.. I also have a healthy population of Buffalo beetles in all my dubia bins to take care of unwanted organic matter. From mold to dead roaches.

A water crystal bowl really helps with the molting process as much as a humidity bump and water source. I would suggest trying that out and keeping them dry away from that condensation. I have screen vents on the top of my bins. To let out moisture. Maybe you are just trapping too much In?

Ultum4Spiderz

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter
The thermostat on my bin is set at 92°.. and deaths happen. I believe they only live for 2 years. Sometimes they can die from old age, bad molts, etc. I try to let mine be as much as possible.. I also have a healthy population of Buffalo beetles in all my dubia bins to take care of unwanted organic matter. From mold to dead roaches.

A water crystal bowl really helps with the molting process as much as a humidity bump and water source. I would suggest trying that out and keeping them dry away from that condensation. I have screen vents on the top of my bins. To let out moisture. Maybe you are just trapping too much In?
yeah it was a mass death , all adults mostly I can try water crystals although they didn’t touch them they went crazy for a banana. .
I added a lot more holes I couldn’t check if I have any screen because a car parked in the garage in the way . I couldn’t buy new screen right now .

IMG_8968.jpeg IMG_8967.jpeg IMG_8964.jpeg
IMG_8965.jpeg

444 critters

Arachnosquire

Ultum4Spiderz

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter
My roaches LOVE a banana. Especially ones that are on the brown side
Yeah apples too ! They don’t care for potatoes.
think I fixed the ventilation problem. Added more holes. The larger drillbit. does crack it occasionally. I considered removing some roaches and placing them into another cage but I only have two good heatmats . So they would be unheated room temperature 71
IMG_9011.jpeg
before
IMG_8999.jpeg IMG_9001.jpeg

TheraMygalo

Accipitridae
Arachnosupporter +
A small spice grinder can go a long way. Even a store brand like master chef. I use one for flax and that is a greesy seed. Use a smaller grinder and smaller batches.

You could always use a good ole morter and work those biceps.

I need to read all the previous posts to learn how to care for Dubias for when and if they ever become legal here.

The key for feeder care is really just like tarantulas. It comes down to the elements. We only have Discoids here and purity of strain has an impact on how they thrive. Also the integration of new/fresh males.

Ultum4Spiderz

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter
A small spice grinder can go a long way. Even a store brand like master chef. I use one for flax and that is a greesy seed. Use a smaller grinder and smaller batches.

You could always use a good ole morter and work those biceps.

I need to read all the previous posts to learn how to care for Dubias for when and if they ever become legal here.

The key for feeder care is really just like tarantulas. It comes down to the elements. We only have Discoids here and purity of strain has an impact on how they thrive. Also the integration of new/fresh males.
yeah we had an electric spice grinder but my sister took it or it’s been moved . Or broke …
I searched upstairs for loose roaches I found nothing. :banghead: 😵💫
Discoids I’ve never kept .

TheraMygalo

Accipitridae
Arachnosupporter +
Spice grinders should be really cheap if you live in the USA. You can work magic with one of those so I really recommend you put that on your budget list.

If not, the mortar will do it but in the end, they cost more because they are made of pure stones. I have this jasper mortar that probably costs 100+ cad dollars. I wouldnt use it on dog chow hahaha, it is reserved for spellwork.

Also, read up on ingredient lists ans protein percentages.

Someone on fb marketplace has got to be giving a spicegrinder away, or possibly some swap group in your locality. People are tired of over paying for things.

I forgot to mention, Daves little beasties has one or more videos on the keeping of Dubias. I would watch those and compare whatever you are doing with what he suggests.

He is no idiot. And he definitely knows A thing or two.

I hope this is not considered infrigement of the rules: that is not my intent.

Ultum4Spiderz

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter
I forgot to mention, Daves little beasties has one or more videos on the keeping of Dubias. I would watch those and compare whatever you are doing with what he suggests.

He is no idiot. And he definitely knows A thing or two.

I hope this is not considered infrigement of the rules: that is not my intent.
I’ve watched it but I’ll watch it again , I can’t find those tanks anywhere Ive looked . Mine aren’t that tall .

My roaches LOVE a banana. Especially ones that are on the brown side
How should I split the dubia colony I gotta make sure enough females are in the heated tank or colony will die off . I got too many in one tank . They are sitting by ontop like meerkats and my parents not happy .🫤 I should had left them upstairs.

TheraMygalo

Accipitridae
Arachnosupporter +
I’ve watched it but I’ll watch it again , I can’t find those tanks anywhere Ive looked . Mine aren’t that tall .

It does not need to be exactly the same. Perhaps you can make something similar. Or find almost something similar: winners/marshalls… i do not know what stores you have where you live, but i am sure you have more options then i do.

The key is not necessarily to mimic the exact physical settings, but offer the same atmospheric elements.

Your parents seem to be an ecological menace. Perhaps there is an herbicide for that at walmart?

Just kidding, it was said with love. Maybe you need to find a way to work WITH your parents. Get them involved. You know, they arent set to go against you. They probably want to connect with you. If you find a way to get them to understand your needs and how much it matters to you, you could be surprised. Some old boomers just need to reconnect with their inner child.

I hope this works for you.

Ultum4Spiderz

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter
It does not need to be exactly the same. Perhaps you can make something similar. Or find almost something similar: winners/marshalls… i do not know what stores you have where you live, but i am sure you have more options then i do.

The key is not necessarily to mimic the exact physical settings, but offer the same atmospheric elements.

Your parents seem to be an ecological menace. Perhaps there is an herbicide for that at walmart?

Just kidding, it was said with love. Maybe you need to find a way to work WITH your parents. Get them involved. You know, they arent set to go against you. They probably want to connect with you. If you find a way to get them to understand your needs and how much it matters to you, you could be surprised. Some old boomers just need to reconnect with their inner child.

I hope this works for you.
I’ve probably kept dubia longer then he probably has considered I ever heard of his videos until 10 years ago . Nah I’m probably wrong he’s a lot older the goal is to mix techniques of care so that it works out better!
I don’t think they can be reasoned With they already made up there minds , I could have bought more spiders it would have kept the roach population down . I’d sell the extra roaches but I really don’t have enough and profit too low to make a difference. If anyone had local slings I could trade . In a few years I might not have enough if I sell some .

444 critters

Arachnosquire
When you get som

How should I split the dubia colony I gotta make sure enough females are in the heated tank or colony will die off . I got too many in one tank . They are sitting by ontop like meerkats and my parents not happy .🫤 I should had left them upstairs.
I don't know how many you have, but it honestly don't look like you have too many to worry about splitting. A few options I would suggest is, getting egg flats and have a more organized housing for them, that way they can Finn in the vertical space better, get a larger tote that way you dont sacrifice heat. I prefer the blacked out totes with yellow lids from home depot or lowes, if you really feel you need to separate, I would do it one by one, and do 1 male to every 3-4 females and put all nymphs in with the separated colony. All leftovers use as feeders. I NEVER feed my females off regardless how many I have. 💪