Phormictopus sp south hispaniola

Colorado Ts

Arachnoangel
These spiders use a lot of resources

96C9AC6F-5584-44BC-8C70-2F7FB9D7F638.jpeg

Here is the sling at the beginning of the moult, note the size of the abdomen.

85BF2C49-9544-4A3E-AF85-ED42801A3FE8.jpeg

Here’s the sling this morning, fangs black as night and acting like its starving. The abdomen of this sling is considerably smaller; a detail that I’ve noted on all 3 of the slings that have moulted in this cycle.

Don’t know if it means anything, but a detail of note. The size increase, though not yet fully set, is substantial. Usually a week post moult, I can get a good grasp as to how much size they will assume with the moult.

With this being my first group of Phormictopus, all I can definitively say is that they really put on size when they moult.

Last edited:

Colorado Ts

Arachnoangel
Phormictopus Threads of Note.

I did a search of Phormictopus in the thread title. These threads seemed to contain interesting content and information.

Colorado Ts

Arachnoangel
Moult Cycle Progressing

So earlier this week, PhorGrGld #4, #5 & #6 moulted.

30938102-2534-4480-AC05-10AA31348D1D.jpeg

Late yesterday PhorGrGld #2 moulted and this morning PhorGrGld #1 finished moulting.

The slings are loosing their blue coloration with this moult; and the carapace is taking on a pink metallic hue. Stripes are now firmly present on the legs and the femurs have noticeably darkened. One of the slings now has a greenish hue to its femur, though try as I might, I have yet to capture it in an image.

And Once Again...I’m shocked at the growth in size with this latest moult. The slings haven’t quite doubled in size...but yeah, I’ll be putting them into new larger enclosures in a few weeks.

My Phormictopus cautus and a couple other species will be in late this coming week. I must have had a brainfart or something, I had to scramble and order enclosures for 23 slings...Usually I’m ahead of the curve and have my enclosures premade and ready to go. So my free time this week will be spent readying those items.

Once those enclosures are done...then I’ll again focus on new enclosures for these 8 slings.

Colorado Ts

Arachnoangel
New Phormictopus thread

Goopyguy56

Arachnoangel
Well my 4 inch south hispaniolas are refusing food. That can only mean one thing!

Goopyguy56

Arachnoangel
My Dom Violet's turned down food as well. They are usually even better eaters than the South hispaniola.

Goopyguy56

Arachnoangel
Her sister is always a week or two behind so she should follow suit. Means I have two ladys. Might sell one but I have never shipped before which makes me a little nervous

moricollins

Arachno search engine
Old Timer
Her sister is always a week or two behind so she should follow suit. Means I have two ladys. Might sell one but I have never shipped before which makes me a little nervous
Unless you've actually sexed it, you shouldn't assume because they molt at the same time that they're both the same sex. While the likelihood is high that they're both the same sex, it's not a guarantee

Goopyguy56

Arachnoangel
Unless you've actually sexed it, you shouldn't assume because they molt at the same time that they're both the same sex. While the likelihood is high that they're both the same sex, it's not a guarantee
Oh they have both been sexed a long time ago

mjzheng

Arachnosquire
If you decide to sell please please consider me ! Signed , a huge Phormictopus fan

Goopyguy56

Arachnoangel
I still don't think she has full colors yet. But she looks better the more she hardens up

Goopyguy56

Arachnoangel
I would totally sell her. I have never packed a t though so I am a little hesitant. I am afraid to screw it up

mjzheng

Arachnosquire
I would totally sell her. I have never packed a t though so I am a little hesitant. I am afraid to screw it up
Totally understandable , I've also never packed. I saved containers from other spiders I have bought to hopefully replicate what they did one day . It is a scary thought to put a fragile thing in the mail lol