Phormictopus availability?

gabrielgartner

Arachnosquire
Any reason this genus seems to be less available than say Pamphobeteus? Some of the more colorful species seem to be rarely offered. Just curious.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I see this genus regularly offered a lot for the past few yrs

UtilityTurkey

Arachnopeon
It's a conspiracy. Watch Tom Morans videos he explains the true wonders of Phormictopus and exposes their criminal underratedness. Sure Pamphos are great, but so is Phormictopus. It's not really worthwhile comparing the two, they are distinctly separate genus. Only thing in common is they are both tropical, get large, and can get some great colours.

Even the P. Cancerides, with the common name "Haitian BROWN Birdeater" starts off as a sling BLUE, and as it gets "brown", it gets bronze and purple hues. Then you've got the green species and the purple species. It's a shame they're not more common in the hobby.

spideyspinneret78

Arachnoprince
I think that in general a lot of the more colorful Phormictopus just aren't as well known as the Pamphobeteus species. I think that when a lot of people hear "phormictopus" , they think of big, brown, inexpensive spiders, which of course couldn't be further than the truth.

It's a conspiracy. Watch Tom Morans videos he explains the true wonders of Phormictopus and exposes their criminal underratedness. Sure Pamphos are great, but so is Phormictopus. It's not really worthwhile comparing the two, they are distinctly separate genus. Only thing in common is they are both tropical, get large, and can get some great colours.

Even the P. Cancerides, with the common name "Haitian BROWN Birdeater" starts off as a sling BLUE, and as it gets "brown", it gets bronze and purple hues. Then you've got the green species and the purple species. It's a shame they're not more common in the hobby.
I agree, I watched his videos on the genus a while ago and it really opened my eyes to how incredibly beautiful these species are. Especially the vibrant, deep purple coloration that some species display. Very interesting. Since then I've become a huge fan of them and would probably even choose some of these over some of the Pamphobeteus species.

Colorado Ts

Arachnoangel
The Phormictopus species are truly beautiful, with both the males and females on full display. The color changes from sling through adult are incredible with each moult changing subtly until suddenly, in one moult, they have their full adult dressage.

I also love their sturdy ruddy behavior...they dig burrows, or rather excavate caverns as slings...but they do not seem to be wary and want to dart into cover when disturbed. I have a couple slings that will “saunter” into a burrow at feeding time, but the rest stand their ground and salivate, waiting for prey. With this last moult I've got 3 slings that won't even wait for me to drop the prey into the enclosure. These little dudes leap into the air and try to grab the prey off the tongs...never seen that before, very surprising.

The P. cancerides and the P. auratus are readily available in the hobby...

FA7741C4-27F4-4DBD-B458-60D5FE3BD563.jpeg

But if you’re looking to acquire some of the other species, you'll need to look around.

I found a seller that “had” 7 different species of Phormictopus, almost all of the ones that are on my list, so I just bought a group of the one that was highest on my list. When winter temps let up, I went back to order the rest that were on my list, and BLAMO...gone.

So, now I’m working through the same vender, and trying to get groups of 8-10 slings of 6-8 different species. It gets pricy at those numbers and Phormictopus are NOT really cheap to begin with...

Make a list of what you want and just keep looking...every once in awhile, something will pop up. But be ready to purchase when you see it, or it might be gone once word gets out. Seems there's more than just a few of us looking to get Phormictopus...

49430733-DCDA-475B-A0D2-A02403C35DDB.jpeg

Last edited:

Goopyguy56

Arachnoangel
You have to check on a regular basis for the hard to find ones. Kind of a shame. Imo they are probably the best nw terrestrial. Way better than pampho!

clive 82

Arachnoknight
The Phormictopus species are truly beautiful, with both the males and females on full display. The color changes from sling through adult are incredible with each moult changing subtly until suddenly, in one moult, they have their full adult dressage.

I also love their sturdy ruddy behavior...they dig burrows, or rather excavate caverns as slings...but they do not seem to be wary and want to dart into cover when disturbed. I have a couple slings that will “saunter” into a burrow at feeding time, but the rest stand their ground and salivate, waiting for prey. With this last moult I've got 3 slings that won't even wait for me to drop the prey into the enclosure. These little dudes leap into the air and try to grab the prey off the tongs...never seen that before, very surprising.

The P. cancerides and the P. auratus are readily available in the hobby...

View attachment 342758

But if you’re looking to acquire some of the other species, you'll need to look around.

I found a seller that “had” 7 different species of Phormictopus, almost all of the ones that are on my list, so I just bought a group of the one that was highest on my list. When winter temps let up, I went back to order the rest that were on my list, and BLAMO...gone.

So, now I’m working through the same vender, and trying to get groups of 8-10 slings of 6-8 different species. It gets pricy at those numbers and Phormictopus are NOT really cheap to begin with...

Make a list of what you want and just keep looking...every once in awhile, something will pop up. But be ready to purchase when you see it, or it might be gone once word gets out. Seems there's more than just a few of us looking to get Phormictopus...

View attachment 342759
Love the green hues on that first spider, what a beautiful T. Green sp?

Colorado Ts

Arachnoangel
Love the green hues on that first spider, what a beautiful T. Green sp?
Near as I can tell it goes by several trade names:
Phormictopus sp southern hispaniola
Phormictopus sp green femur gold carapace
Phormictopis sp green femur

The genus Phormictopus is in a terrible state and needs to be cleaned up

clive 82

Arachnoknight
Near as I can tell it goes by several trade names:
Phormictopus sp southern hispaniola
Phormictopus sp green femur gold carapace
Phormictopis sp green femur

The genus Phormictopus is in a terrible state and needs to be cleaned up
So I understand. Phormictopus is a genus I don't own yet but think I should dip my toe as they are stunning. Is the one in your pic male or female?

Colorado Ts

Arachnoangel
So I understand. Phormictopus is a genus I don't own yet but think I should dip my toe as they are stunning. Is the one in your pic male or female?
Phormictopus is the genus...yes.

The image that I posted is an internet stock image. I have 8 slings that were sold as Phormictopus sp southern hispaniola. The slings were on the larger end of 1”; when purchased...they have amazing feeding response, and growth has been rapid, thus far.

I have a list of 8 Phormictopus species that I'm wanting to collect...they are not common, so will take some hunting.

If you are wanting to get Phormictopus right away, the Phormictopus auratus is readily available in the hobby. This species originated in Cuba, so the slings will be varying shades of brown. Species that originate outside of Cuba will have slings that will have a distinct bluish shade.

Another species readily available is Phormictopus cancerides...these slings will have a bluish tint. As they grow, they will develop various shades of gold, pink, and red, on a very dark brown/ black background.

In my collection, I've got the one species at the moment. As soon as opportunity knocks...yes, I will be getting more species of Phormictopus.

Last edited:

clive 82

Arachnoknight
Phormictopus is the genus...yes.

The image that Imposted is an internet stock image. I have 8 slings that were sold as Phormictopus sp souther hispaniola. The slings were on the larger end of 1”; when purchased...they have amazing feeding response, and growth has been rapid, thus far.

I have a list of 8 Phormictopus species that I'm wanting to collect...they are not common, so will take some hunting.

If you are wanting to get Phormictopus right away, the Phormictopus auratus is readily available in the hobby. This species originated in Cuba, so the slings will be varying shades of brown. Species that originate outside of Cuba will have slings that will have a distinct bluish shade.

Another species readily available is Phormictopus cancerides...these slings will have a bluish tint. As they grow, they will develop various shades of gold, pink, and red, on a very dark brown/ black background.

In my collection, I've got the one species at the moment. As soon as opportunity knocks...yes, I will be getting more species of Phormictopus.
It is the subtle shades of colour that I like plus the fact they are big, bold and have a great feeding response.

Colorado Ts

Arachnoangel
I’m curious, those of us looking for various species of Phormictopus...What species are you looking for? Do you have a priority list?

Or am I the only one that does this...

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
This is very true, and at the same time difficult for me to pursue, as my interest is not narrowly limited to tarantulas.

Anyway, there is a green species of Phormictopus (the name escapes me at the moment) that a friend of mine showed me and is a glorious, solid green. That is one species on the list...

Thanks,

Arthroverts

gabrielgartner

Arachnosquire
I’m curious, those of us looking for various species of Phormictopus...What species are you looking for? Do you have a priority list?

Or am I the only one that does this...
I’m looking for almost anything other than auratus but particularly sp. green or Dominican purple. I don’t have any at this point but I’m very particular about what spiders I keep. I don’t want a giant collection.

Colorado Ts

Arachnoangel
I’m looking for almost anything other than auratus but particularly sp. green or Dominican purple. I don’t have any at this point but I’m very particular about what spiders I keep. I don’t want a giant collection.
I have 7 species of Phormictopus on my list. At the very top of my list was Phormictopus sp green femur "Gold Carapace"....I have a group of those now.

So now onto the next Phormictopus species on my list...Phormictopus sp Dominican Purple. Very excited to one day find a group of them.

<edit>

Last edited by a moderator:

mjzheng

Arachnosquire
<edit>

Phormictopus tax
IMG_20200405_091001.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Colorado Ts

Arachnoangel
My Phormictopus cautus are in the US...I will pick them up on Friday.

So now it’s time to start researching and looking through my Phormictopus list, and start selecting my next Phormictopus species acquisition.

...and I'm torn. Here is my next section of my priority list:

Phormictopus sp blue “azule”
Phormictopus sp green
Phormictopus sp violet

But I'm really thinking about Phormictopus auratus...and even Phormictopus cancerides...

And there is so much confusion as to exactly what is a P.cancerides....so yeah, there's that.

Thoughts... :bag: