Phormictopus sp south hispaniola

Goopyguy56

Arachnoangel
Are phormictopus sp south hispaniola the same thing as sp green femur. I just ordered 2 from fear not t's. So many phormics with alot of different names. Either way I wanted more phormics

MissouriArachnophile

Arachnoknight
Only when it comes to the 3 greens. The rest isn't really that muddy. The same one can be found as emerald or some other variation of phormic sp south hispaniola. Its more of sticking to one name by the vendors.

Goopyguy56

Arachnoangel
Well there is also phomictopus sp purple as well as "dominican purple" also, "platus" is supposedly really "Auratus". Just a logjam. Can't always be sure about what you have with this genus. Have a blue sling that is supposed to be auratus. Turns out auratus slings are supposed to be brown

Goopyguy56

Arachnoangel
Ok well according to a video by tom moran, it is thought that phormictopus sp green femur is the same as south hispaniola

MissouriArachnophile

Arachnoknight
Ya, I've seen them for sale as phormictopus sp. Emerald something as well. Same thing, still like phormics regardless.

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
What is sold as ‘South Hispaniola’ is the same as ‘Green Femur’. It is instead labelled with locality. Though there is another colour form which is blue femured and purple carapace.

Phormictopus sp. ‘Purple’ is not the same as ‘Dominican Purple’. The former being a variant of P. cancerides, and the latter being a different species.

Pretty much all non-Cuban Phormictopus are blue as slings and will go through many colour changes on the way to adulthood.

Goopyguy56

Arachnoangel
Yeah. I saw some sp purple for sale and glad I read up on them. I havent seen any dominican purples for sale ever. If I do, and there not too pricey, I will order immediately and my wife can yell at me later.

SpiderDan1981

Arachnopeon
What is sold as ‘South Hispaniola’ is the same as ‘Green Femur’. It is instead labelled with locality. Though there is another colour form which is blue femured and purple carapace.

Phormictopus sp. ‘Purple’ is not the same as ‘Dominican Purple’. The former being a variant of P. cancerides, and the latter being a different species.

Pretty much all non-Cuban Phormictopus are blue as slings and will go through many colour changes on the way to adulthood.
So what is the correct "common name" for Phorm. sp South Hispaniola?

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Couple years ago i bought 2 juveniles marked as "south hispaniola" i later found out that they are the same as "green femur"

SpiderDan1981

Arachnopeon
Lol.

You would be better off ignoring the common names altogether, its confusing enough as is.
I've just learned that all other names are irrelevant. The only proper name is "wicked fast little SOB."
It only molted this a.m. and now it's teleporting around its enclosure. Scared the $#it outta me!

Colorado Ts

Arachnoangel
Are phormictopus sp south hispaniola the same thing as sp green femur. I just ordered 2 from fear not t's. So many phormics with alot of different names. Either way I wanted more phormics
I've come to the conclusion that, YES, Phormictopus sp south hispaniola and Phormictopus sp green femur and Phromictopus sp green femur gold carapace are all probably the same species...Some body really needs to go through this genus and organize it.

Colorado Ts

Arachnoangel
I checked all my slings this morning and fed the ones that were interested in prey items. My Phormictopus slings seem to be less interested in food at this point. These are all images of different Phormictopus sp southern hispaniola...they are also known as Phormictopus sp green femur, and Phormictopus sp green gold carapace.

BF30E1D5-01D0-46EC-B4B8-29A3781095DA.jpeg

Most food offerings are resulting in threat poses. 2 of the slings threw threat poses and then promptly grabbed the prey item and proceeded to enjoy a meal.

Judging by the size and gradual darkening of the abdomens of all the slings, we’re getting close to moulting. I’m excited to see what kind of size they put on as they moult. This is a pretty cool and impressive genus.

1CAE23B3-D73D-4FD1-9DF3-61DB7E24B678.jpeg

The growth of all the slings is impressive, totally unexpected. They don’t even compare to what they looked like just a few weeks ago. They have lost some of the intense blue that they had when I first got them...some more than others. But the thing that just surprised me is the shear volume of substrate that they move. One of the 8 slings move mountains of debris on an almost daily basis...I might name this one Bob...Bob the Builder.

9855148F-55AC-46F0-8459-A1F77518A62A.jpeg

As a group, they are very inquisitive. When I open the enclosures, it is not surprising to have a sling come up the sides and explore, even gently climbing onto my hand as I'm trying to carefully guide them back into their enclosure...I could see this behavior getting rather intimidating, if it continues as they grow and approach 8”.

I was going through my images that I took this morning, here’s a shot of what I would call my most beautiful sling. For the most part, each of the Phormictopus slings has lost some of their bluish hues, but this sling has still maintained the nice blue while its gained sizeand approaches moult.

Even though its getting closer to moulting...it has not refused a meal, when offered. Such a pig...

D622D94F-5F53-4D85-819B-EE2775A3CEE5.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

Goopyguy56

Arachnoangel
Im still waiting on mine to get the green femurs. Mine have blue femurs so far. I was thinking they would get adult colors soon. After watching Tom Moran, his went through several color changes before the green showed up. Of the three Phormictopus species I own these are probably the least aggressive eaters. My Auratus and Dominican purples will chase prey. These guys wait for it to get close before pouncing. I have 2 females atm. One will stand her ground and strike at anything. The other, pretty shy and never had a threat pose. Two sisters with completely different personalities