Phormictopus sp south hispaniola

Colorado Ts

Arachnoangel
These are not shy at expressing their displeasure...at all. The last time I was threatened this much in one day...my wife had sent me out to buy toilet paper...

CE2B32DA-986F-4880-904A-436EE3AAEC23.jpeg

Threat posturing seems to be their 2nd favorite thing next to...eating.

6C33612E-B9D5-429D-8BD4-BBEA111C7BB2.jpeg

I don’t think I’m as bad as they think I am.

1B3B95E1-31BD-402E-8943-9D465DD3FF3D.jpeg

Phormictopus sp southern hispaniola

I cannot wait to see their full adult coloration...their full adult size.

Last edited:

Goopyguy56

Arachnoangel
I have 2 that are systers. One has never given me a threat pose the other one acts just like my mother in law anytime she is disturbed.

Colorado Ts

Arachnoangel
Going through the sling enclosures today, mostly checking up on my tiny tiny slings in their soufflé cups. Checking on who’s moulted, is there enough moisture, anyone looking hungry (feeding time is Friday), etc.

I took advantage of having the cabinet open and went through the Phormictopus slings, and the Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens slings this morning.

135158E0-A9AA-4C04-8134-00F3F59BC558.jpeg

3 of the 8 Phormictopus slings have opened up large pits in one of the corners of their enclosures.

09E6E699-1506-43CC-BACA-2DFA14958E33.jpeg

Yeah that’s a face only a mother could love...I pulled a couple of uneaten roaches. Abdomens are getting noticeably darker, moulty, moulty...

Goopyguy56

Arachnoangel
Yeah my Auratus slings will molt soon as well. My 2 south hispaniola molted a few weeks ago. I have a few Dominican Violet's that are getting dark for molting soon as well

Colorado Ts

Arachnoangel
Yeah my Auratus slings will molt soon as well. My 2 south hispaniola molted a few weeks ago. I have a few Dominican Violet's that are getting dark for molting soon as well
You need to post images...I'd love to see them, read your thoughts, what you've learned and over time...watch them grow and progress.

Goopyguy56

Arachnoangel
Well hears one of my lady south hispaniolas after her molt a few weeks back. I was hoping she would get her green femurs but she still looks the same so far. She's probably 4 inches diagonally

Attachments

Colorado Ts

Arachnoangel
Well hears one of my lady south hispaniolas after her molt a few weeks back. I was hoping she would get her green femurs but she still looks the same so far. She's probably 4 inches diagonally
I see hints of bluish green on the femurs...what size was she when you got her? How long have you had her?

If I inundate you with too many questions, just let me know :bag:

Goopyguy56

Arachnoangel
I need to take some pics of the Dominican Violet's. Right now they are just little blue slings like alot of other Phormictopus

Colorado Ts

Arachnoangel
I’m really enjoying the Genus Phormictopus. I'm looking to add P. sp blue, P. sp Dominican Republic, P. auratus, P. Sp green, and P. sp purple...those are my next acquisitions. After that I'll take a short break.

I would enjoy seeing images of your purples...heck all your Phormictopus.

Goopyguy56

Arachnoangel
Well I have just the three species I just posted. Im keeping my eyes out for full greens. Haven't seen any for sale since got into this genus. If I do get a chance I will get several then worry about my wife later.

Colorado Ts

Arachnoangel
As I understand it...slings from species outside of Cuba are typically blue and slings of species that originate inside of Cuba are typically brown. Does that sound familiar to you?

My wife is pretty understanding, though right now, she’s more concerned about this hobby of mine. Once Covid-19 runs its course...then back to usual...I hope.

Goopyguy56

Arachnoangel
Yes the auratus were brown when I got them as slings. The south hispaniolas and Violet's are blue as slings. At least mine were

Colorado Ts

Arachnoangel
Yes the auratus were brown when I got them as slings. The south hispaniolas and Violet's are blue as slings. At least mine were
Dangerous...we start chatting and You got me going... :cool:

I started making calls and trying to source Phormictopus slings (again)...same, same...my contacts either have none in stock or onesies and twosies of the species that I want.

Things are just in limbo for the moment.

On the plus side, once things break out and shipments resume...I'll be content.

Goopyguy56

Arachnoangel
Oh you will never be content my friend. I thought I would be content once I got the violet Phormictopus. Nope, it was only a matter of time before something else I wanted showed up on an availability list and it was on again. Tarantulas keeping is an endless endeavor. If you could be satisfied you would stop buying

Colorado Ts

Arachnoangel
Oh you will never be content my friend. I thought I would be content once I got the violet Phormictopus. Nope, it was only a matter of time before something else I wanted showed up on an availability list and it was on again. Tarantulas keeping is an endless endeavor. If you could be satisfied you would stop buying
I like the way you think...we will get along fine. :cool:

2D898A3C-84B4-4FD8-A45E-4F115C83EBC4.jpeg

And another P. sp green femur image

Colorado Ts

Arachnoangel
It’s started....

BE062F45-B85D-4C04-99A7-C23130118231.jpeg

The first of 8 slings has moulted. The 7 remaining slings are looking more and more ready to follow suit.

FDA8B733-E1E3-483C-9EB6-5FD98B0EE841.jpeg

The sling has dug a labyrinth tunnel system in the bottom of the AMAC container. The blues of the sling are vibrant after a moult.

Last edited: