Petco... Now offering 25 species of tarantulas. Thoughts and rants

Crone Returns

Arachnoangel
Peta has been known to kill dogs and cats they see outside, even if it's in someone's backyard. They're a special kind of messed up.
Do you have proof of that? Can you find links to that? Where are you getting that information?

BorisTheSpider

No this is Patrick
Old Timer
Assuming that the laws are the same in your state , then you can be considered liable if you give someone information and the get injured based on what you told them . If a clerk picks up the phone and calls you to ask you a question and then they turn around and pass that info onto a customer you are responsible for what they say . The lawyers from Petco will argue in court that you presented yourself as an expert in tarantulas and that the clerk was merely passing on the info that they were told . They will gladly pass the buck onto you and will march that employee into court to testify that you went into the store and provided your phone number so that you could available for the answering of questions . You are responsible for every word that leaves your mouth . That's why when I am asked a second hand question by a firearm student I tell them I will only answer questions presented to me "face to face" . This is word for word what my attorney said to me . Be careful answering questions or giving advice .

Exoskeleton Invertebrates

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
It does not do any good to for us to go back and forth on this thread. Even though I like the thread to educate others but the reality is Petco corporate office need to hear us, they are not going to hear us on this forum.

Exoskeleton Invertebrates

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
This is their phone number 1 877 738 6742 I'm on the phone with them now please call them and state your complaint. Let them get sick of us so something can be done.

Toxoderidae

Arachnoprince
If this is true--and I'm pretty convinced it is I am gobsmacked. The way I understood, PETA was just a radical rescue group. I had no idea it had shelters. And a high kill shelter??? I don't get it. Thank you for the link and if you have more please pm via profile. I'll answer.
Oh there's a lot on PETAs all kill shelters, and more. After I get done fencing I'll PM you somever links.

crlovel

Arachnopeon
Crone, there's tons of information online, too. Google "PETA Kills Animals" - you'll come back with tons. The two PETA workers driving to shelters, picking up dogs, murdering them in their van, and dumping the bodies in a dumpster ranks. So does the one where PETA workers STOLE A DOG off its front porch and killed it. PETA is evil, nothing but.

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
I just saw the title of this thread. Another way to possibly try and stop this is to share on social media. Talk about the cruel and horrid keeping conditions these spiders are kept in and warn others against it. Tell them to spread the word. Next time I'm at a PetCo, I'm gonna take a pic of one of their t enclosures and point out everything that is wrong with it. Also, of course warn them against the new t's PetCo may be carrying. Stupid PetCo!:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

Kymura

Arachnoknight
Too many folks to quote. I agree this could be devastating to the hobby as a whole. :(
Let's all write and complain, suggest and demand they get someone educated in there to deal with them and perhaps put an adults only on sales?

crlovel

Arachnopeon
I sent an email. I used common names, because 1) they're on the care sheet, and 2) whoever the person is that reads this, if it's even read, won't know the Latin.

Hello,

I recently saw the announcement of PetCo carrying multiple species of tarantulas for sale. As a long time hobbyist, I admit, I was shocked and dismayed by the species you're choosing to carry.

Are you aware that Old World species such as baboon spiders and ornamentals are not only highly defensive, but that they also carry a venom that is far more potent than your typical New World species, such as the Rose Tarantulas? Are you aware that you are opening yourselves up to massive law suits, not only from the customers that are sold these dangerous tarantulas by your unwitting employees, but by your unwitting employees as well, when they get bitten?

As a hobbyist who is very familiar with all of the species that you are carrying, I am terrified of the impact that this could have - not only on the legal aspect of these animals being sold in the United States, but also on the impact on the continuity of your business after people are injured by the animals they buy from you.

In addition, my primary concern is for the animals themselves the care sheets for many of these animals, and the conditions in which PetCo maintains them, are detrimental and incorrect. With all due respect, your company, and your employees, are not educated in the care of arachnids, leading to a very dangerous situation.

Thank you,

crlovel (I gave them my real name)

cold blood

Staff member
https://www.petco.com/shop/PetcoCon...e-center/caresheets/tarantula-care-sheet.html

OMG , here's a care-sheet courtesy of Petco that says care for pinktoes and rosehairs . Apparently you are suppose to keep them all exactly the same way and with lots and lots of humidity . We have been doing this wrong folks .
Just based on the sizes of the slings and the care sheets they offer, I feel confident in saying that...THERE IS NO HOPE! There will be only a very small percentage of these spiders they buy and sell that make it even a year. The care sheet is literally one of the worst I have ever seen...and that's standing out amongst thousands of total crap online care sheets.

Their recommended care is despicable.:banghead::banghead: I mean, consult your local vet...wtf is a vet gonna do other than tell them to go away...I can only imagine the look on my vet's face if I brought in my ts for physicals. And to say all inverts are known carriers of infectious disease...where do they get this crap?? Clean out and bleach the enclosures weekly, wtf x 100. I mean I could go on for pages...it is really that bad!
PETA and folks like that, and serious Theraphosidae keepers doesn't mix. Mark my words.
Agreed...its like using the mafia to help your cause...you may get what you want now, but it will end bad in the future. Stay as far away from organizations like this as you can....the looney bin has more sanity within its walls than does PITA....the only difference is that the people in the looney bin know they are crazy, people within PITA are completely delusional and believe its everyone else that's crazy.

I was going to post this yesterday so now it's time. Here in Midvale, Utah Petco is one of the first to get some of this wonderful species. Unfortunately is sad to know that every single one will most likely parish do to that the employees will have to keep the spiderlings in this wonderful containers that Petco is using.
If you wish to contact Petco contact the corporate office. Do not call Petco stores they cannot do anything about your claim.

It's obvious that the corporate office is not educated. Every container has some sort of sponge for substrate to keep the humidity. This spiderlings are all new born how many will parish if people don't purchase them? I was told that the price of this spiders are $19.99 with the containers.

Thanks for those pics Jose....like TX said, it says it all....most of these slings will die well fefore the public is even aware they are selling them....despicable and irresponsible.

What's PETA
People Eating Tasty Animals...of course:astonished:

Last edited:

Toxoderidae

Arachnoprince
This is what the petco rep's response was to my complaint...
Screenshot_2016-04-28-19-34-33.png
I can't believe this.

billrogers

Arachnoknight
Even if a little kid gets a OBT or ornamental, isn't it most likely to die before reaching maturity because of the despicable care info customers are given? Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't the baby OWs not as big a threat as adults? Don't get me wrong, an OW in an OW, but it seems that most are going to die long before they are adults with full potency venom?

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
Even if a little kid gets a OBT or ornamental, isn't it most likely to die before reaching maturity because of the despicable care info customers are given? Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't the baby OWs not as big a threat as adults? Don't get me wrong, an OW in an OW, but it seems that most are going to die long before they are adults with full potency venom?
Sure, but a bite from an OW sling like a Poecilotheria can and will send a child to the ER.

cold blood

Staff member
This is what the petco rep's response was to my complaint...
View attachment 209488
I can't believe this.
That's not even a response...its just someone still trying to figure out how e-mail works....how does an adult, in an executive position, not know how to tell if there is a picture attachment.....he's probably the same dude that put together the care sheet page.