Petco... Now offering 25 species of tarantulas. Thoughts and rants

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
The care sheet says to completely break down the tank once a week and clean with a bleach solution. Oh dear lord

BorisTheSpider

No this is Patrick
Old Timer
I agree 100% that this isn't a very good idea on Petco's part however they earn four billion dollars a year (according to Forbes) and if they think that selling Ts could increase that number then they are going to do it . Their attitude is that they are our side an that they only want to help foster growth and understanding in our hobby . And don't forget that also will be stocking all the things that we will be needing to keep our little eight legged friends happy thus eliminating the need to pay for expensive shipping costs . They will be more then happy to have everything you need right here in your friendly neighborhood Petco , the whole time giggling at your angry letters . The point is they don't care if we don't like it . And yes Toxoderidae you could not be more correct , they cheaper to import the better . There's a good profit margin in those .

Toxoderidae

Arachnoprince
Well guys, when tarantulas are banned because of this, it'll be like praying mantids. We talk about them, but we don't "talk" about them. ;)

dragonfire1577

Arachnodemon
Just contact PETA I read an article they posted a while back and they voiced that they believe tarantulas don't belong in captivity (which pissed me off especially since the article was filled with blatant lies about tarantulas) but I bet they could manage to make a pretty big deal about this against petco.

BorisTheSpider

No this is Patrick
Old Timer
Well guys, when tarantulas are banned because of this, it'll be like praying mantids. We talk about them, but we don't "talk" about them. ;)
They will just become one thing are bought and sold underground . There are already thousands of people keeping thousands of animals that their local governments have deemed illegal .

Toxoderidae

Arachnoprince
They will just become one thing are bought and sold underground . There are already thousands of people keeping thousands of animals that their local governments have deemed illegal .
yup, the mantid hobby is one of those. Also alligators, hot snakes, chinchillas, lots of rodent species, etc.

BorisTheSpider

No this is Patrick
Old Timer
yup, the mantid hobby is one of those. Also alligators, hot snakes, chinchillas, lots of rodent species, etc.
Actually here in SC you can own almost any kind of animal that you want . The Repitcon shows here are so popular because you walk right up to a table and buy a cobra without even showing an ID . The guy might ask if you have any experience but normally they just want to know how you are paying .

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Just contact PETA I read an article they posted a while back and they voiced that they believe tarantulas don't belong in captivity (which pissed me off especially since the article was filled with blatant lies about tarantulas) but I bet they could manage to make a pretty big deal about this against petco.
PETA and folks like that, and serious Theraphosidae keepers doesn't mix. Mark my words.

dragonfire1577

Arachnodemon
Yeah I have to say everything posted them regarding Ts got on my nerves (a guy getting urticating hairs in his eyes is not an unhappy spider lashing out at its "captor") but I was thinking they might oppose petco and have more leverage than us.

BorisTheSpider

No this is Patrick
Old Timer
PETA and folks like that, and serious Theraphosidae keepers doesn't mix. Mark my words.
"This selfish desire to possess animals and receive love from them causes immeasurable suffering, which results from manipulating their breeding, selling or giving them away casually, and depriving them of the opportunity to engage in their natural behavior. They are restricted to human homes, where they must obey commands and can only eat, drink, and even urinate when humans allow them to."

~ quote from Pet's website~
Let's not ask for help from these folks . I don't think that they will see our side , I get the impression that they dislike Petco and us at the same time .

dragonfire1577

Arachnodemon
Yeah bad idea nevermind I just don't want these spiders being sold in petcos. Maybe we should just get the queen baboon (pbuh) to lead her spider army to war and free the spiders in these stores.

YagerManJennsen

Arachnobaron
I have a feeling that the first time an employee gets tagged by an OBT while cleaning or feeding they will realize what they've done and what they're selling. Maybe.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Yeah I have to say everything posted them regarding Ts got on my nerves (a guy getting urticating hairs in his eyes is not an unhappy spider lashing out at its "captor") but I was thinking they might oppose petco and have more leverage than us.
Petco and co. are corporations, and, those, at the "higher roofs", give a damn about everything save for cash, commercials, "presence" in the territory and the other things that (every, and that's quite normal) corporation do.

The fact that you can find a somewhat "skilled" (please note the " " ) employee or kind, listening people means nothing. It's like a mirage in the desert.

Now i could be wrong, but i view those just like McDonald's (here in Italy)... those who works in such place are students or utter broke people (nothing wrong about), definitely, a time-limited job. No one is interested, when things are like that, in "education".

PETA are nothing IMO but screaming bizarre Social Justice Warriors, they can't tolerate people like us keeping Theraphosidae in captivity. We are the "evil" guys, for them.

PETA helped Germany keepers quite well in the discussions about the (genus) Poecilotheria Ban in some Lander.

gypsy cola

Arachnoknight

PETA in the USA might as be a domestic terror group. There is a reason why PETA in other countries do not associate with US.

8Legs8Eyes

Arachnosquire
Please no PETA. They will make it even worse with their "they should only be in the wild" mentality, especially when the only chance for the survival of many species IS to be in captivity.