Petco... Now offering 25 species of tarantulas. Thoughts and rants

BorisTheSpider

No this is Patrick
Old Timer
I'm already going to my local petco to do volunteer work to educate employees about these spiders, and be the guy who cares for them if possible, to ensure people don't mess this hobby up.
For legal reasons they can't allow that . Outside training of staff members is almost always frowned upon . Also they aren't going to listen . They are Petco and they know what they are doing . Thus the reason for all those Avics being housed in terrestrial setups . But again they appreciate your concerns and will strive to provide the best animal care that profits allow .

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
I've called three Petcos near me, and none of them had any idea what I was talking about. Are we sure this isn't blown out of proportion or just a hoax? I can't find an official statement by Petco anywhere.

gypsy cola

Arachnoknight
You're wrong. A random kid with an OBT can wind up in an emergency room and that video can go viral. That can have all kinds of ramifications.
maybe I should of put some emphasis that it was a sarcastic quote. I honestly did imagine a sales associate get bit first before a kid. But if they are selling slings... a kid is going to get bit and we will be screwed.

Magenta

Arachnosquire
NOOOOOO!! :(

Just yesterday, I went to a Petco to buy substrate and left immediately because the whole store smelled like the cages hadn't been cleaned in months. You could smell the stink before the doors even opened, poor animals :(. I'll be going back to the same store today to complain to the manager. From now on, I won't be buying anything from them.

I bet all the Ts will be labeled "rose hair", regardless of species.

Maybe we could start a petition? Do petitions ever do anything?

Last edited by a moderator:

gypsy cola

Arachnoknight
https://www.petco.com/shop/PetcoCon...e-center/caresheets/tarantula-care-sheet.html

OMG , here's a care-sheet courtesy of Petco that says care for pinktoes and rosehairs . Apparently you are suppose to keep them all exactly the same way and with lots and lots of humidity . We have been doing this wrong folks .

I did like this part though

"Handling tarantulas is not recommended; if feeling threatened, they may bite or even run and fall. Even a short fall can cause serious, even fatal injury."

xFujimoto

Arachnopeon
Ugh this is ridiculous. Honestly, it's bad enough they were selling one or two occasionally. While I love the idea of this kind of availability of Ts in stores--as a hobbyist with experience and knowledge on them--they're usually never cared for properly, have horribly inaccurate "care" sheets, and who knows how many people just pop in like 'Hmmm this is a scary bug, I'm gonna scare the crap outta my friends and family. It eats rats right, 10"+ yeah??? Let's put it on sand!'

But now there's going to be more aggressive species out there...and I don't even want to think about the children that get these beautiful Ts as pets. Concerned for the children as well as the poor T :(

This is pretty upsetting to hear. I once saw a p.irminia in a local PetCo and I was distraught for days. I hope the person that bought it was someone in the hobby...

8Legs8Eyes

Arachnosquire
It's strange, I read this several hours ago and followed the link they had (https://community.petco.com/) and found a long article that I read through also, full of all sorts of misinformation, but then I went to eat and now that I am looking for it again I can't seem to find it. It had great stuff like spiders who molt don't molt their head and fangs, you should mist the tropical species twice a day, etc.

I like the idea of them offering more species - I love more people getting into the hobby, but we all know that they aren't going to train their staff, who in turn are going to make up answers for the people inquiring about their new spiders. I don't like where this is heading at all.

TheInv4sion

Arachnobaron
It's strange, I read this several hours ago and followed the link they had (https://community.petco.com/) and found a long article that I read through also, full of all sorts of misinformation, but then I went to eat and now that I am looking for it again I can't seem to find it. It had great stuff like spiders who molt don't molt their head and fangs, you should mist the tropical species twice a day, etc.

I like the idea of them offering more species - I love more people getting into the hobby, but we all know that they aren't going to train their staff, who in turn are going to make up answers for the people inquiring about their new spiders. I don't like where this is heading at all.
Makes me want to work at petco just to help avoid this issue. Maybe we can go to local petcos and give them correct info to give to staff?

8Legs8Eyes

Arachnosquire
Makes me want to work at petco just to help avoid this issue. Maybe we can go to local petcos and give them correct info to give to staff?
It's a nice thought, but I've tried pointing things out to my local petco before and it was pointless. I asked to see a molt they had so I could sex it and when I determined it was male the employee said "That's what I thought, because it was so bright." It was a RCF rose hair, and he didn't realize that they came in different colors.

BorisTheSpider

No this is Patrick
Old Timer

They are going to have them read that care sheet and that's it . Then they will tell them to push all the extra stuff that a customer will need for their new pet . It's in the accessories where they really make their money .

You don't want that . Second hand info can be very dangerous . You could be held legally responsible for what they tell a customer . I teach a concealed weapons permit class on the weekend and when a student asks me a question about something a friend of theirs wants to know I always say they need to have their friend contact me directly . I won't answer go between questions. I'm not getting sued because someone misquotes me . The best thing that a Petco employee can do is direct new T owners to this board and then we can hopeful set them straight and show the the right way to keep Ts .

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Rather than rant here, rant to petco. Call, send emails, do everything to annoy them to the point where they will have to change.
I've already emailed 2 employees of PetCo and a news paper reporter who covered Petco. This is going to be an ongoing progress for me at least. I don't think Petco would like lawsuits, and that's what they will get out of people living in this country. I can't imagine who they consulted for species selection, let alone how they decided on which OWs to get.

8Legs8Eyes

Arachnosquire
I've already emailed 2 employees of PetCo and a news paper reporter who covered Petco. This is going to be an ongoing progress for me at least. I don't think Petco would like lawsuits, and that's what they will get out of people living in this country. I can't imagine who they consulted for species selection, let alone how they decided on which OWs to get.
Thank you for your effort, Viper. I will be drafting a letter as well. I know I'm just one person but I hope others on this board will try to be heard as well.

Spidermolt

Arachnoknight
If they sell the old worlds then at some point this WILL HAPPEN. Someone who has never even seen a tarantula before will buy a baboon or a pokie, Then will get bit because they are inexperienced and wont know better, Then will go to the hospital (or let a little child hold it and they might die", then will complain about the "dangerous monsters" that Petco has, Then It will be a huge problem because or irresponsible people but it will reflect on all of us, Then tarantulas will be banned in that state it happened in, And then finally it will spread like cancer to the rest of the states until Tarantulas are banned in the United states!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is a ridiculous idea and we need to stop this large chain from doing this or else none of us in the U.S. will be allowed to own Ts!

xFujimoto

Arachnopeon
I have a few local PetCos, I think I'll be contacting them. Not sure how much I could do, I don't want to give them second hand info that could land me in potential trouble if something goes wrong...But perhaps suggesting arachnoboards would help or something. I know two employees at one store that at least own one T, maybe they'd be more invested than others.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
There are social media sites that people use to raise awareness and to force companies to make corp wide company changes. This is where the change needs to come from so that the info can spread life wildfire. Speaking to local stores is only helpful in a small way.

I don't know the names of these social change sites, but they do exist.

gypsy cola

Arachnoknight
Could you post your email to the boards?

Anyone else who is interested could use the template and send themselves as well

Toxoderidae

Arachnoprince
They probably chose by most colorful/cheapest. OBT and P. regalis/miranda/subfusca are the cheapest ones.