Petco... Now offering 25 species of tarantulas. Thoughts and rants

Abyss

Arachnoknight
I'll be on a conference call with some of Petco Corporate tomorrow.
Just read through an all i have to say is "NO WAY"!!!!!!!
This is bad on so many levels. I am VERY glad you will get the opportunity to speak to them in person!!!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
Last edited by a moderator:

Formerphobe

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Just contact PETA I read an article they posted a while back and they voiced that they believe tarantulas don't belong in captivity (which pissed me off especially since the article was filled with blatant lies about tarantulas) but I bet they could manage to make a pretty big deal about this against petco.
Oh, let's NOT contact PETA. Those fools don't believe ANY animal should be kept in captivity, including dogs, cats, horses, cattle, guinea pigs.....
Any big stink they would make, could potentially be a strike against the rest of the hobby, too.

Abyss

Arachnoknight
Agreed. @Abyss did I say something offensive in this post? If so, I'm sorry.
No not at all? Nothing offensive (i dont get offended anyway haha)
Im just in sheet amazement at petco is all (thats why i said "NO F***'n WAY) not sure what your referring to buddy?

Formerphobe

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Actually here in SC you can own almost any kind of animal that you want . The Repitcon shows here are so popular because you walk right up to a table and buy a cobra without even showing an ID . The guy might ask if you have any experience but normally they just want to know how you are paying .
You might want to check your local laws. While dealers can sell certain animals in many jurisdictions, it's frequently illegal for residents to own them.

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
No not at all? Nothing offensive (i dont get offended anyway haha)
Im just in sheet amazement at petco is all (thats why i said "NO F***'n WAY) not sure what your referring to buddy?
Ah, there was a "dislike" by you on my post. Guessing it was a misclick?

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
The pet shop I go to gets an occasional OW in, and they label those "for experienced keepers' only". They also will not sell to anybody under 18.

Abyss

Arachnoknight
I dont have any good ones around me i have found (atlanta are believe it or not)
The one "exotic" pet shop close to my house basically neglects their T's till they are dead smh. And they wont order any species i want.
Come to think of it, they really arent even that friendly in there and seem to not want my business lol.

Toxoderidae

Arachnoprince
All the shops in the ATL area Abyss are crap. Two of them got closed recently after numerous reports of animal abuse and decrepit conditions. You're better off going the 2 hour drive to SC to find some legit stores.

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
I meant to put my two cents in concerning PETA. They are less an organization to protect animals and more of a cult, in my opinion. They may have a time or two done SOME good, like revealing inhumane conditions in the meat industry, but I don't believe that out weighs their fanaticism. As has been suggested upthread, NEVER contact them. they are loons that not only want to stop the fur industry and animal testing but ALL animal ownership. (The first I can get behind, the second sometimes, depending on the sort of testing being conducted and the necessity of it.) but want to stop ALL animal "exploitation" and that includes ALL animals, including traditional pets.
Now, I will add that some of the members are well meaning and not necessarily on board with the complete ceasing of animals as companions, but some of them, and probably ALL of the ones running the show, are loons.

cold blood

Staff member
All the shops in the ATL area Abyss are crap. Two of them got closed recently after numerous reports of animal abuse and decrepit conditions. You're better off going the 2 hour drive to SC to find some legit stores.
Actually you are better off just buying them from a reliable place/person and get them shipped.;)

Andy00

Arachnoknight
Wowwwww can't wait to see the HORRIBLE care they take of these beautiful T's :( this is awful