P.Murinus bite

Status
Not open for further replies.

efmp1987

Arachnoknight
The last time I heard a Scot say the S-word was during the beheading of Mary the Queen of Scot. The axe missed most of her neck and she said S***, be on with it lad will ye?"

efmp1987

Arachnoknight
I ACCEPT THE CHALLENGE. ALLOWED MYSELF TO GET TAGGED BY THIS MONSTROSITY. I'M OKAY, BUT IT WAS VERY PAINFUL.
<Removed for Copyright violation>

Disclaimer: Photo courtesy google images.

Last edited by a moderator:

boina

Lady of the mites
"Anaphylaxis can occur in response to almost any foreign substance.[17]
Well, that's technically right... Some substances, however, are much more likely to be allergens than others - with proteins being much much more likely allergens than anything else and even among proteins not all are created equally allergenic. From what we know tarantula venom has low allergenic potential (see the link Andrea provided) and allergies to tarantula venom have never been described. Moreover, an allergic reaction does not occur at first exposure - he would need to be bitten twice.

efmp1987

Arachnoknight
Let us not throw or use the term "anaphylaxis" with wanton abandon. Anaphylactic shock is a complication of an allergic reaction. You don't exactly immediately develop anaphylaxis if you are allergic to tarantula venom (which is already unlikely for reasons noted above), just as how you don't immediately develop hypovolemic (a.k.a. hemorrhagic) shock after getting cut by a knife. But of course, you still need to be on your guard for symptoms, as envenomation via intravenous (blood vessel), subcutaneous or probably intramuscular routes facilitate the faster systemic spread of an allergen. But still, we think too much of anaphylaxis when no one can even name a person who experienced it. Just my 2 cents.

boina

Lady of the mites
No, does not. You need to be sensitized first.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK10756/

Allergic reactions at first exposure are extremely rare and involve cross reactions and cross reactions to tarantula venom is more than unlikely.
Yes, an allergic reaction at first exposure is not completely impossible - in medicine nothing ever is completely impossible - just extremely unlikely, as in: Please write a medical report about it if it happens, because reports are so rare. Why do people always want to include the most unlikely scenarios in their evaluations??

(This 'may not' you find on all the american allergy sites is American doctors protecting themselves from law suits...)

Kendricks

Arachnoknight
No, does not. You need to be sensitized first.
Yes, an allergic reaction at first exposure is not completely impossible - in medicine nothing ever is completely impossible - just extremely unlikely
So what is it now? :D

I agree with you on the level of possibility, but I surely did not want to resist a chance to rattle your cage either. :troll:

SingaporeB

Arachnopeon
I watched the video expecting to see the OBT clamped onto his finger. I never saw that because it never happened.

There won't be a bite report because no bite occurred. If he attempts to leave a bite report it should be removed.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
I watched the video expecting to see the OBT clamped onto his finger. I never saw that because it never happened.

There won't be a bite report because no bite occurred. If he attempts to leave a bite report it should be removed.
I think you probably need to (re)watch this well, man:

At the end, more or less at 0:40 if you pause you can see the 'OBT' out of the enclosure clearly.

Here my screenshot v

2017-09-18_175928.png
If the P.murinus didn't tagged him and (according to your words) everything is 'fake', clearly Shampain88 had the Goddess of Luck on his side.

SingaporeB

Arachnopeon
No luck involved. You're not familiar with cameras. His finger is at least several inches from the OBT. Show this video to a YouTuber who does camera reviews and such and they will easily debunk it as fake. Maybe Tony Northrup?

The blood looks like red water paint.

Status
Not open for further replies.