New Invertebrate Club in Southern California!

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
Club Meeting Update:
1. We all (as in everyone who attended the meeting) liked the idea of perhaps doing a group buy from a vendor, so were looking into maybe doing that ahead of this coming meeting.
2. Getting a club table at a reptile show looks like a real possibility sometime in the future.
3. I don't think paying a club membership fee will be necessary; just so long as we all participate and work together on club projects.
4. We have quite a few members with lengthly experience in the invertebrate/reptile hobby (I'm looking at you @RTTB, @Jasonic, @chanda...), so we may be able to source a guest speaker from within our ranks, as well as from other organizations.
5. Working out our deals in the parking lot of IHOP went smoothly, other than a few stares ;)...
6. If you haven't seen @BoyFromLA's and @SamanthaMarikian's tarantula and isopod photos, you are missing out big time!
7. Thanks to everyone who wore an invertebrate-related shirt! It sure helped out with us finding complete strangers at IHOP. I am looking into making club T-shirts so we can recognize each other better at meetings and reptile shows.

8. And finally, thank you so much to everyone for getting this club going! I am looking at you @korg, @BoyFromLA, @chanda, @Jasonic, @SamanthaMarikian, @socalqueen, @RTTB, @NYAN, @lostbrane, @wetwork, @aphono, @Jacobospider5, @pigbloodpond, @REEFSPIDER, @sr20det510, @CAtarantulaGuy, @ArachnoDrew (am I missing anybody?)!

I am thinking March 23rd, 10:00-11:30 AM for the next meeting. It will be closer to LA, and we will see if we can find an invertebrate friendly location.

Thanks,

Arthroverts

NYAN

Arachnoking
I am thinking March 23rd, 10:00-11:30 AM for the next meeting. It will be closer to LA, and we will see if we can find an invertebrate friendly location.

Thanks,

Arthroverts
I work at a nature center/ preserve. I have that Saturday off, so I’ll see if we can meet at that location. I’m a bit far from the original location but I know several of us are in the LA area where I work/live. I’m around 45 mins from downtown for reference. My friend would be interested in coming to the meeting also as long as it’s closer than the last one.

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
I work at a nature center/ preserve. I have that Saturday off, so I’ll see if we can meet at that location. I’m a bit far from the original location but I know several of us are in the LA area where I work/live. I’m around 45 mins from downtown for reference. My friend would be interested in coming to the meeting also as long as it’s closer than the last one.
@NYAN, @BoyFromLA, what about Pasadena, or somewhere near there?

Thanks,

Arthroverts

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
O.K, thanks for the suggestion. Let's see if we can find a park or a library club room where we can meet.

Thanks,

Arthroverts

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
Im not sure if I’ll be available that day now.
O.K, I may have misunderstood. @NYAN, you were offering for us to meet at the nature center/preserve, but now that might not work?
I am going to get the location hammered out here in the next few days (Pasadena?), most likely going to be at a library in a meeting room if the nature center does not work out. I am also looking for a guest speaker to come talk for a little bit this time around; @Jasonic, would you like to demonstrate your packing method for invertebrates? Or @RTTB, @socalqueen, @chanda, would you like to share some of your collecting experiences? I know it may be a bit too far for you to travel though.

Thanks,

Arthroverts

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I don't think I'll be able to make it on the 23rd. I'll most likely be driving my son to a track meet.

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
O.K, so Pasadena it is then. I'll look for a library for us to meet at over the weekend.

Thanks,

Arthroverts

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
I am looking at the Pasadena Public Library, and I will call tomorrow to see if they have an available meeting room. Sound good fellow Invertebrate-Enthusiasts?

Thanks,

Arthroverts

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
Alrighty! I called the library but I couldn't speak with an actual person, so I will have to keep trying. I look forward to seeing you all there!
@RTTB, would you perhaps be willing to share some of your invertebrate finds with us at the meeting? Not specific locations or anything, but maybe just what species you've found in the area and how you collect them.

Thanks,

Arthroverts

lostbrane

Arachnobaron
I posted in the google group but just to cover me bases. I can't attend any Saturday meetings due to my work schedule so it will probably be some time before I can actually make it to one.

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
O.K @lostbrane, we will certainly miss you though! I do hope to have some collecting trips/hikes that aren't on Saturday sometime, so hopefully you will be able to make it to some of those.

Thanks for letting me know,

Arthroverts

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
O.K everyone, I couldn't reach the Pasadena Public Library to find out if we could use one of their meeting rooms, and I have a sneaking suspicion that they would charge us to use them.
Therefore, I propose meeting at the Arlington Garden (Arlington Garden in Pasadena, 275 Arlington Dr, Pasadena, CA 91105). It is friendly to pets (which means that I believe we can bring our creatures if were discreet about it), and it looks like it might even offer some collection opportunities. Everything else is the same (time, date, etc etc), we would just be moving the location; a map of the garden is located at the following link, http://www.arlingtongardenpasadena.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/ArlingtonGarden_Map-08-22-top.pdf.
Admission is free and you simply park on the street. There is a slight chance that it might rain, yet everything I've read has suggested that the garden is just as nice in the rain. We would probably all meet at the entrance and then go inside to find seating. I'll bring world famous doughnuts from Donut Man!

Sound good?

Thanks,

Arthroverts

Pinchednerve

Arachnosquire
Hello,
I'm in Long Beach CA and would like to find out more about the club
thank you ~Jack

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
Hey everyone, so far we have only three people who say they are going to be coming. With such a small group, it may not be worth the time and effort to try and get everything together. Therefore, I am going to say that if we don't have 5+ people coming to a meeting (in this case, the meeting this Saturday), we will just have to cancel it and reschedule for next month. Don't get me wrong, I really, really don't want to cancel, but it is just not worth the time and effort for me and my family to try and get down the hill from the High Desert.
So, is anybody else planning and going to make an effort on coming? If so, please let me know!

@Pinchednerve, if you read the first page of this thread you can find out most of the info for this club. If you would like to join the club, please PM me your email and I will add you to our Google Group, and if you have any specific questions, just post them here or PM me.
Thanks for reaching out, I hope to see you at one of the meeting's in the future!

Thanks,

Arthroverts

NYAN

Arachnoking
Hey everyone, so far we have only three people who say they are going to be coming. With such a small group, it may not be worth the time and effort to try and get everything together. Therefore, I am going to say that if we don't have 5+ people coming to a meeting (in this case, the meeting this Saturday), we will just have to cancel it and reschedule for next month. Don't get me wrong, I really, really don't want to cancel, but it is just not worth the time and effort for me and my family to try and get down the hill from the High Desert.
So, is anybody else planning and going to make an effort on coming? If so, please let me know!

@Pinchednerve, if you read the first page of this thread you can find out most of the info for this club. If you would like to join the club, please PM me your email and I will add you to our Google Group, and if you have any specific questions, just post them here or PM me.
Thanks for reaching out, I hope to see you at one of the meeting's in the future!

Thanks,

Arthroverts
Next month there is the Costa Mesa expo. I will be attending it with a friend most likely on Sunday.