New Invertebrate Club in Southern California!

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
Hello all, the new Invertebrate Club of Southern California (ICSC, this will be the name of the club unless otherwise noted) is forming now! All hobbyists who can attend are welcome!

This club will seek to increase the understanding and knowledge of invertebrates of all kinds (roaches, tarantulas, true spiders, scorpions, centipedes, millipedes, ants, butterflies, insects of all other kinds, isopods, crabs and other crustaceans, slugs and snails, Echinoderms, Cnidarians, and pretty much all other kinds of invertebrates: Note, this list is not arranged according to how much preference will be placed on discussing the various invertebrate groups above) amongst invertebrate hobbyists as well as the general public. We will have monthly meetings on such subjects as:

(1) The care of certain species propagated in the hobby,

(2) Creating and maintaining habitats, plants, and materials for our creatures,

(3) Discussions on new species entering the hobby,

(4) Discussions on certain aspects of the hobby,

(5) Promoting understanding of the various regulations regarding importing and propagating certain species,

(6) Reviewing invertebrate vendors,

And hopefully, we will be able to host guest speakers to talk on various issues and aspects of this amazing hobby. We would also like to be able to display our own creatures at these meetings, and provide a space to trade and sell our livestock amongst each other.

Some benefits of this club, hopefully, would be:

1. An area where we can get information and help from each other for the creatures within our care.

2. A fun time to collaborate and talk with each other about the invertebrate hobby.

3. Club trips to collecting sites.

4. Importing our own creatures from abroad.

5. Hosting a table at reptile/invertebrate shows and expos where members can sell their livestock.

6. Regular raffles for equipment and animals.

7. Outreaches to the community to educate the public on this incredible area of creation, invertebrates.

8. Make visits to each others homes to view their collections (with consent of the owner of course).

Hopefully this list will get larger in time.

Requirements to join the club would be:

1. One must have an interest in invertebrates (obviously), whether just observing them in the wild or keeping them in captivity.

2. One must treat others in the club with respect and honor, even if you disagree with them on certain styles of care, collecting, or handling, and since this is an invertebrate club, religion, politics and other such subjects will not be discussed at all during club functions.

3. You must be in good standing with the invertebrate community, scammers or people who are found to cheat others will be stripped of their membership. Also, people who fight invertebrates against each other, dramatize invertebrates in a way that promotes fear and misunderstanding, or regularly mishandle their animals in a way that is dangerous to themselves or others, will not be allowed to join. Honesty and integrity are expected here.

4. A willingness to participate in club activities and to advance the invertebrate hobby with respect and kindness.

(a note on communication: it would be helpful, if not necessary, to have an Arachnoboards and/or a Roach Forums account and an email address that we can reach you by).

This club will be law-abiding in every way possible. We will not illegally import nor take endangered species from the wild without the proper permits.

A yearly entry fee will be discussed at the first meeting, and, if it is decided to be used, it would be reasonable ($20-$30 a year), and the money would be used to purchase raffle prizes, import animals, and rent tables at reptile shows. All members will hold each other accountable when it comes to money and other such things.

Our suggested first meeting time is February the 23rd, 10:00 AM to 11:30 AM, at IHOP, 7228 Archibald Ave, Rancho Cucamonga, CA 91701. This would be a sort of planning and get-to-know-each-other meeting, figuring out where we want to go as a club, discuss entry fee (if necessary), and invite local reptile and invertebrate shops to support us. Also, you are encouraged to bring along your livestock to trade, sell, or display (not too many creatures, unless you are making a large trade arranged beforehand, and no highly venomous species please)!

Any suggestions, comments, or constructive criticism would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Arthroverts

BoyFromLA

Spoon feeder
Arachnosupporter +
Hello all, the new Invertebrate Club of Southern California (ICSC, this will be the name of the club unless otherwise noted) is forming now! All hobbyists who can attend are welcome!
Was there a previous one?

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
There was an earlier unaffiliated club called S.C.A.B.I.E.S, but it appears to have become defunct. That is why I am launching ICSC.

Thanks,

Arthroverts

BoyFromLA

Spoon feeder
Arachnosupporter +
I would love to be part of it.

1. How often do we get to meet each other?

2. Can meeting place be at different location time to time? (I live near Downtown, Los Angeles)

3. Just be there on Feb 23? Or do I reserve my place first?

4. Thanks for the awesome social meeting!

Are you also interested @NYAN?

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
Awesome! In answer to your questions, (1) we would meet once a month (this may change during the holidays), maybe twice depending on collecting trip dates, home visits, etc etc. (2) I don't see why we couldn't meet somewhere else, just so long as the list of places we meet is no more than two or three, to avoid confusion. (3) Yes, just show up! Even if there were a hundred people coming I would find a larger place to meet so as everyone could come. No sense in turning away interested people!

Thank you again for the interest, if you or anybody else has any other questions, just let me know!
I may also tag other California members here to get the word out, and feel free to spread the word yourself!

Thanks,

Arthroverts

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
Well, like @BoyFromLA said, we could move the meeting place occasionally to accommodate more people. We would definitely love to have you join us!

Awesome @lostbrane! Glad to have you joining us!

Thanks,

Arthroverts

RTTB

Arachnoprince
I’m all in as well as my fiancée SoCalQueen. Been looking forward to something like this. Location for first meeting works great for us.

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
@RTTB, @lostbrane, @BoyFromLA, @socalqueen, @NYAN, what invertebrates do you keep? What group of invertebrates would you like to see featured and discussed in the meetings? Naturally, we couldn't make them the center of every meeting, but I am curious to see what all of you are interested in.

Thanks,

Arthroverts

NYAN

Arachnoking
@RTTB, @lostbrane, @BoyFromLA, @socalqueen, @NYAN, what invertebrates do you keep? What group of invertebrates would you like to see featured and discussed in the meetings? Naturally, we couldn't make them the center of every meeting, but I am curious to see what all of you are interested in.

Thanks,

Arthroverts
I keep deserta buthids, Latrodectus, Loxosceles, Sparassids, Ctenids, Scolopendra and some Therephosidae.

I am interested in most predatory invertebrates. I also enjoy chatting about various aspects of the hobby.

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
Great! I like the look of those Sparassids, I have had trouble keeping them though. Looking forward to talking more with you at the meeting!

On a side note for ICSC, would all of you perhaps mind sending me a PM with your email so that we could start up an email thread for the club? This would be so we can let each other know what we are bringing to trade or sell at the meetings without violating the Arachnoboard rules. I will still make announcements and communicate with y'all through this thread or others, but this would help in making sure we don't violate forum rules.

Many thanks,

Arthroverts

BoyFromLA

Spoon feeder
Arachnosupporter +
what invertebrates do you keep?
I keep:

Tarantulas

0.1.1 Brachypelma hamorii
0.0.1 Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens
0.0.1 Lasiodora difficilis
0.0.1 Brachypelma baumgarteni
0.1.0 Grammostola pulchripes
0.0.1 Brachypelma klaasi
0.1.2 Caribena versicolor
0.0.1 Dolichothele diamantinensis
0.0.2 Neoholothele incei
0.1.0 Brachypelma schroederi
0.0.1 Ephebopus cyanognathus
0.0.1 Idiothele mira
0.0.1 Encyocratella olivacea
0.0.2 Grammostola pulchra
0.0.1 Pamphobeteus antinous
0.0.1 Harpactira pulchripes
0.0.1 Pterinochilus murinus
0.0.1 Chilobrachys fimbriatus
0.0.1 Theraphosa blondi
0.0.1 Thrixopelma ockerti
0.0.1 Grammostola iheringi
0.0.1 Orphnaecus philippinus
0.0.1 Chilobrachys Sp. Electric Blue
0.0.1 Ornithoctonus aureotibialis
0.0.1 Ephebopus murinus
0.0.1 Hysterocrates laticeps
0.0.1 Aphonopelma bicoloratum
0.0.2 Aphonopelma mooreae
0.0.3 Bumba cabocla
0.0.1 Avicularia perpurea
0.0.1 Aphonopelma joshua
0.0.4 Cyriocosmus elegans
0.0.1 Acanthoscurria geniculata
0.0.1 Brachypelma boehmei
0.0.1 Phormingochilus sp. rufus
0.0.1 Phormictopus cancerides
0.0.1 Brachypelma annitha
0.0.1 Brachypelma auratum
0.0.1 Xenesthis sp tenebris
0.0.1 Pamphobeteus sp. paisa
0.0.1 Lampropelma nigerrimum
0.0.4 Brachypelma albopilosum
0.0.1 Brachypelma albiceps
0.0.1 Xenethis immanis

Scorpion

0.0.1 Hadrurus arizonensis

Mantis

0.0.1 Phyllocrania illudens

I personally want to know more about snakes, geckos, turtles, snails, frogs.

lostbrane

Arachnobaron
I was into Hercules beetles for a bit but the grub I had died and so I lost interest. Then moved back into tarantulas (I’m at 18 now).

Want to get into Sparassids and some trapdoor species at some point, hopefully soon.

As to discussion I’m down for whatever.

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
@NYAN, no worries! Where are you located? If you don't mind me asking, so we can perhaps move the next meeting a little closer to where you are so that you can attend. Also, I have seen some of your widows, absolutely amazing! Hopefully we can work something out for you to visit next time.

@BoyFromLA, that is quite a collection! How large are your Ephebopus cyanognathus, Idiothele mira and Encyocratella olivacea? Those are certainly species on my watch list...

@lostbrane, nice! I've always liked those beetles, their lifespan is too short for me though. I like darklings and their relatives as well. Like I said above, I really like the Sparassids, and I am also starting to really appreciate the trapdoors, thanks to RezonantVoid's work with them in the Land Down Under.

Thanks all of you for your quick reply,

Arthroverts

BoyFromLA

Spoon feeder
Arachnosupporter +
that is quite a collection! How large are your Ephebopus cyanognathus, Idiothele mira and Encyocratella olivacea? Those are certainly species on my watch list...
They are now all about 3”, I always getting tarantulas as slings.

RTTB

Arachnoprince
My primary focus is native US centipedes, scorpions, and true spiders. I field collect a lot Spring-Fall. I have branched out into non US centipedes.
As far as numbers go, umm.. close to 150 centipedes, a dozen species of true spiders, and dozens of scorpions.
Scolopendra polymorpha is a particular favorite with about 60 or so I keep from 4 different states and about 12 localities.
I have a passion for the smaller US species ala Scolopocryptops, Scolopendra viridis, and Hemiscolopendra marginata. Can’t get enough wolf spiders(Hogna, etc) and am looking to acquire native Loxosceles, trapdoors, and pursewebs.

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
@RTTB, Wow! That is the largest collection of centipedes I have ever heard tell of! I live right next to a patch of desert with decent amounts of Scolopendra polymorpha, usually reaching sizes of 5+ inches. I enjoy observing viridis as well, but their short lifespan is keeping me from getting one.

@BoyFromLA, be sure to bring some pictures of those tarantulas for us! The blue fangs are incredible on the cyanognathus.

@lostbrane, thanks for getting me your email. Once I have everybody's email I will start up a group thread so we can make trades and post what were bringing for sale. I have a few cool things that will hopefully fill in before the meeting.

<edit>

Thanks,

Arthroverts

Last edited by a moderator: