Naming your T's!

14pokies

Arachnoprince
golly, who dropped hairs in your undies?

I don't wear underwear...

Don't take it personally post whatever you like It's not my place to tell you or anyone else what to say or not to say.. I just think it's a little typical...
Atleast when I joined the boards I posted about usefull things like.. What type of tarantula you would keep in a zombie apocalypse as perimeter defense... You know the pertinent stuff... Lol

14pokies

Arachnoprince
Fair point, but I think there are still quite a few topics on this board that are pretty in depth and cover lots of great areas of interest regarding different species and genus. I just don't really see the point of getting too worked up (not that you are) about something like this as long as it doesn't interfere with the OP learning other things as well (natural habitat, husbandry, etc). Seems somewhat harmless to me and isn't in any way directly taking away from other, more scientific or keeping-focused posts. Remember, this is Tarantula Chat....its there for a reason.
Ya I get what your saying but there has been so many of these threads lately that I know every members T's names by heart and none of mine even have names..
Threads like these are like car accidents you have to slow down and checkem out..
I just miss the days of people posting really interesting stuff in T chat (where I completely agree it is kind of a catch all for anything T related)
.. I just miss the variety, It left with some of the members that were here when I joined and then I stopped posting whackey crap too...

I feel a wich T would you use in an apocalypse as an attachment to your melee weapon thread coming.. (Maybe)..

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Being relatively new to the forum (though a long-time arachnoboards lurker) I have no problem with new threads on a recurring theme like the naming of tarantulas. I actually like it better than a resurrected thread from a week or month or year ago because it doesn't already have 47 pages of comments for me to wade through before posting my own. Sometimes a thread that has gotten too long can be a little intimidating to jump into.

As for names for my own wee beasties, most of them are nameless. They are pets and I am attached to many of them - particularly those that I've raised from slings - but it's hard to name something if you don't know whether it's male or female - and may not know for months or even years. (I've had terrible luck with sexing any of my t's until after they've matured because they rarely leave me an intact molt. The legs and carapace are fine, but there's never much left of the abdomen.)

The exceptions are my Chilean Rose (Rosie) who was named by some of my students, my B. albopilosum (Surly Temple) who started out as a sweetheart but has gotten grumpy in her mature years, and my A. versicolor (Romeo) who has turned out to be male - and spends most of his time on a "balcony" he created between the cork bark and the glass. (I'd really hoped that he would be a "Juliet", but no such luck.)

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
I only name some of my tarantulas. The ones that I share a real bond with over time. They start to show character the more they grow so then I give them names.

A. Chalcodes - Kulta (f)
B. Albopilosum - Furfur (f)
B. Auratum - Naga (f)
B. Boehmei - Nuri (f)
B. Emilia - Ember (f)
B. Klaasi - Bubblegum (f)
B. Smithi - Basia (f)
B. Vagans - Mortisha (f)
C. Cyaneopubescens - Irnbru (f)
C. Cyaneopubescens - Fiji (f)
C. Fasciatum - Durga (f)
C. Fasciatum - Sex Panther (m)
E. Pulcherrimaklaasi sp. Blue - Lilla (f)
E. Pulcherrimaklaasi sp. Blue - Alpha (m)
G. Porteri - Craig (f)
G. Pulchra - Manson (m)
G. Pulchra - Simone (f)
G. Pulchripes - Rise (f)
G. Rosea RCF - Scarlett (f)
T. Cyaneolum - Jewel (f)
T. Lagunas - Neptune (m)

MrsHaas

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I only name some of my tarantulas. The ones that I share a real bond with over time. They start to show character the more they grow so then I give them names.

A. Chalcodes - Kulta (f)
B. Albopilosum - Furfur (f)
B. Auratum - Naga (f)
B. Boehmei - Nuri (f)
B. Emilia - Ember (f)
B. Klaasi - Bubblegum (f)
B. Smithi - Basia (f)
B. Vagans - Mortisha (f)
C. Cyaneopubescens - Irnbru (f)
C. Cyaneopubescens - Fiji (f)
C. Fasciatum - Durga (f)
C. Fasciatum - Sex Panther (m)
E. Pulcherrimaklaasi sp. Blue - Lilla (f)
E. Pulcherrimaklaasi sp. Blue - Alpha (m)
G. Porteri - Craig (f)
G. Pulchra - Manson (m)
G. Pulchra - Simone (f)
G. Pulchripes - Rise (f)
G. Rosea RCF - Scarlett (f)
T. Cyaneolum - Jewel (f)
T. Lagunas - Neptune (m)
What makes you name some but not others? How many do you have?

MrsHaas

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Ya I get what your saying but there has been so many of these threads lately that I know every members T's names by heart and none of mine even have names..
Do you know any of mine by heart baby cakes? :kiss: :p

ao4649

Arachnopeon
no offence but @14pokies you really just sound like

like im not trying to attack you or anything but it really seems unnecessarily hostile to come into a thread just to complain about it existing it costs $0 to keep scrolling my guy
besides there is
literally a seperate forum for scientific discussion. this one is, to my knowledge, for general chattery on the topic of t's.

14pokies

Arachnoprince
no offence but @14pokies you really just sound like

like im not trying to attack you or anything but it really seems unnecessarily hostile to come into a thread just to complain about it existing it costs $0 to keep scrolling my guy
besides there is
literally a seperate forum for scientific discussion. this one is, to my knowledge, for general chattery on the topic of t's.
I've bean called Mean,defensive offensive,stupid,crazy ,amatuer and I'm sure many many more names but hostile thats a new one..

Yup a grumpy old man bout sums me up.. What else you got ya young whipper snapper?

Ps.. I forgot bizzare but I took that as a compliment...

Last edited:

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
I have to admit that I have been delinquent in naming most of mine because they are so small! Please don't hold me to these names because they might change for some of the younger ones...
G. rosea/porteri (bought her in 1999 as a rosea, but I think she is a porteri) - Evelyn
G. pulchripes female - Portia
G. pulchripes male - Brutus
B. albopilosum female - Audrey
B. albopilosum unsexed - Sage
B. verdezi female - Ginger
E. campestratus unsexed x2 - Calypso and Graffiti
Euathlus sp Red unsexed x2 - Totem and Oracle
G. pulchra unsexed x2 - Raven and Onyx

MrsHaas

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Who could forget princess lilly butt... It's the color of your eyes that I can't remeber! LoL... Probably because I'm a hostile old man... Yuuup!
Looooo!! I was prepared to have my heart broken! But I can always count on you , 14P! And they are a blue/green... Like the ocean... How romantic, eh? Xo

Haemus

Arachnosquire
I'm naming my T's after South Park Characters. I have Mr. Garrison (who changed sexes during a molt), Cartman, and Bebe.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
I'm naming my T's after South Park Characters. I have Mr. Garrison (who changed sexes during a molt), Cartman, and Bebe.
You need two of the same species one male and one female for Butters and Margarine. :)

Haemus

Arachnosquire
You need two of the same species one male and one female for Butters and Margarine. :)
"Butters" is a perfect name for a calm and docile spider, awesome suggestion. I miss those classic south park episodes. There was very little social commentary in those ones, just about the kids believing in a future telling device :)

Ryuti

Arachnopeon
I only have 4 tarantulas right now (well tomorrow it will be 4, getting two new ones)

My A. Chalcodes is named Socrethar
My G. Pulchripes is Anthriss
My P. Irminia will be called Lilith
and I don't have a new name for my P. Cambridgei! Someone help me with a name!!!

Sana

Arachnoprince
Wow the war hasn't started yet. Jeni you better get that Drama Llama ready.

twinkleyell

Arachnopeon
These are all such beautiful names! Everyone has such lovely collections.

Mine's rather small, but:
B. Smithi - Butterscotch (my Boy insists on calling him Ghoul, however)
G. Pulchripes - Toffee
L. Parahybana - Peach
H. Columbia - Nutmeg

They/Them is fine. Thank you for asking!
hi! love your icon! parsee is one of my fav th characters. my bro used to also have a tarantula named peach. it was a sad day when she died.
i name my tarantulas all the time! my b.albopilosum is named annie because of her curly hair. i have an a.purpurea named ursula since she will be purple when she grows up and a b.vagans named ruby. truthfully, i even try to name them ahead of time when im coming up with t wishlist.

Iska

Arachnopeon
I just wanted to post about one of the best Tarantula names I've ever come across..
and that is a woman that has named her Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens Mystique.
RANK 1 NAME.