My millipede collection

The Odd Pet

Arachnoknight

Marika

Arachnoangel
That second one is so beautiful. I wish I could find some. I'm starting to like my millipedes more then a lot of my isopods. I do love the A. gigas. I have an adult pair as well as my juvenile pair. In your experience how long before they usually breed?
I don't have much experience in breeding A. gigas. I've had one small batch of pedelings, but I accidentally let the substrate dry out too much and only one of the babies survived :banghead: He's the one in the pics, he's my only A. gigas atm. This was over 3 years ago, but I think the adults mated almost right away after I had gotten the female (I only had a male for a couple of years) and then she laid eggs pretty soon after that. The male died a few months later.

The Odd Pet

Arachnoknight
I don't have much experience in breeding A. gigas. I've had one small batch of pedelings, but I accidentally let the substrate dry out too much and only one of the babies survived :banghead: He's the one in the pics, he's my only A. gigas atm. This was over 3 years ago, but I think the adults mated almost right away after I had gotten the female (I only had a male for a couple of years) and then she laid eggs pretty soon after that. The male died a few months later.
Sorry to hear that. I actually thought one of my juveniles that I first got had died. Turned out is was my largest chocolate desert millipede. I had them in together till I got my gigas tank setup. I was so happy when I saw her come up. A friend who doesn't collect millipedes also came into a bunch of adults so I got another pair. Hopefully they breed soon. I would love to see some little peds show up.

Marika

Arachnoangel
Sorry to hear that. I actually thought one of my juveniles that I first got had died. Turned out is was my largest chocolate desert millipede. I had them in together till I got my gigas tank setup. I was so happy when I saw her come up. A friend who doesn't collect millipedes also came into a bunch of adults so I got another pair. Hopefully they breed soon. I would love to see some little peds show up.
I hope you get lots of pedelings :)

The Odd Pet

Arachnoknight
I hope you get lots of pedelings :)
Thanks. I hope I get lots of all of the species I have. Especially the albino Narceus americanus and Florida ivories. I just made a trade for 35 Tylobolus sp. I'm not sure exactly what they are but they are very beautiful. Only about 4" long black with dark red stripes. I'm sure they will breed pretty fast having that many.

The Odd Pet

Arachnoknight
Thanks. I hope I get lots of all of the species I have. Especially the albino Narceus americanus and Florida ivories. I just made a trade for 35 of a Tylobolus sp. I'm not sure exactly what they are but they are very beautiful. Only about 4" long black with dark red stripes. I'm sure they will breed pretty fast having that many.

Marika

Arachnoangel
Thanks. I hope I get lots of all of the species I have. Especially the albino Narceus americanus and Florida ivories. I just made a trade for 35 Tylobolus sp. I'm not sure exactly what they are but they are very beautiful. Only about 4" long black with dark red stripes. I'm sure they will breed pretty fast having that many.
Yeah, with that many I'm sure you'll have pedelings in no time. Do you have any pics?

The Odd Pet

Arachnoknight
Yeah, with that many I'm sure you'll have pedelings in no time. Do you have any pics?
No pics of those yet. I haven't figured out how to post pics on here yet anyway. I've only tried from my phone though. I'll get some pics later. I think they are Tylobolus castaneus but not a 100% on that. Either way it was a good trade. I'm trying to make more trades for my isopods for millipedes but I haven't figured out how to post in the sales trade or I can't yet. I still have to figure out how this forum works. It's been years since I've been on a forum so I'm very rusty.
I'll see if I can get pics to load here.
A. gigas
IMG_20190601_075108_865.jpg
Narceus americanus and Narceus gordanus
IMG_20190530_053732_883.jpg
Albino Narceus americanus

Edit: Looks like it worked. IDK why the one is so little.

Attachments

Joey Spijkers

Arachnoprince
These are so beautiful, I wish they were available in Europe.
Thespidershop.co.uk has them available, if you're comfortable shipping them over such a distance. I ordered from them once, the animals arrived here in 2 days and were packed amazingly. I'm from the Netherlands.

Marika

Arachnoangel
Thespidershop.co.uk has them available, if you're comfortable shipping them over such a distance. I ordered from them once, the animals arrived here in 2 days and were packed amazingly. I'm from the Netherlands.
They seem to have the normal colorform, I've seen those available from time to time and actually had one a few years ago. But I haven't seen anyone selling the albino ones, they are the ones I'm drooling over, lol. I haven't ordered anything from The Spider Shop (yet), but I have ordered most of my millipedes from the UK.

Catherine31

Arachnosquire
I have previously posted some photos of my millipedes, but I thought I'd start my own thread :). I got my first pede 3 years ago and noticed that it's impossible to only have one :D

So, this is what I currently have in my collection.

Anadenobolus monilicornis. I bought 4 juveniles and now I have...well, a lot :D.

Anastreptus sp. These were sold as Anastreptus strongylotropis constrictus, but what I got are two different species. One of them has babies, I'm not sure which one, because I had them in the same tank at first and the pedelings are two small to be identified.

Aphistogoniulus hova. My very first pede was A. hova, he passed away a year ago. He's in the first pic. At the moment I have one adult female, a juvenile female and a bunch of pedelings.

Archispirostreptus gigas, adult female and pedelings :).

Arthrosphaera cf. brandtii. I know this is a risky species, but I also know these have been previously bred in captivity, so I decided to try. At the moment I have two of these, one of them I've had for over a year and the other for 5 months I think. One time I happened to see some courting behavior, so hopefully I have both sexes.

"Cameroon giant millipede". It was tiny when I got it, has grown a lot.

"Cameroon grey/cream stripe millipede". These two are probably adults now, but they are never on the surface, so I don't have any newer photos of them :D.

1.0 Centrobolus sp

Tons of Centrobolus splendidus :D. I started out with one female and two males. I thought I had separated all the males from the females, but I have new babies again...

Chicobolus spinigerus, one female, two males and tons of babies :).

2.0 Colossobolus giganteus

Dendrostreptus macracanthus
, juvenile male.

0.1 "Ghana blonde legged millipede"

1.0 Ophistreptus guineensis

1.1 Spirobolus walkeri. I'm so hoping these will breed.

0.2 Spirostreptidae sp 8. I love their color <3.

0.1 Spirostreptus gregorius

1.0 Spirostreptus cf. ibanda

0.1 "Tanzanian black yellow leg"
Gorgeous pictures!!!! The babies are so stinking cute!!

Marika

Arachnoangel
Mozambique caramel and Spirostreptidae sp. 8
DSC07305 – kopio.JPG
DSC07312 – kopio.JPG

Her exoskeleton looks pretty weird, I hope she's ok...
DSC07307 – kopio.JPG

Marika

Arachnoangel
I hope so. Maybe needs to molt or not eating enough calcium.
Yeah, I hope she's just going to molt, but they usually get darker when they are in need of a molt. For example, this was one of them when I had just gotten her and after she had molted:
P1310664.JPG
P1320839.JPG

Well, I guess time will tell. I do add calcium powder to their substrate, but I could offer some extra in case she needs it.

The Odd Pet

Arachnoknight
So beautiful. I also add calcium powder and pulverized limestone to their ss but also keep cuttlefish bone on top for them. I'm by no means an expert and am still learning my self.

Marika

Arachnoangel
So beautiful. I also add calcium powder and pulverized limestone to their ss but also keep cuttlefish bone on top for them. I'm by no means an expert and am still learning my self.
I have also given them a cuttlefish bone a few times, but I've never seen them eat it. Do yours eat it? I put a small amount of calcium powder in a couple of different spots and she went to investigate but didn't eat it.

A fungal infection is one thing I've been thinking about. I lost one millipede to it (different species) and there was a noticeable color change before any visible fungal growth. She also grooms herself a lot. I've had her for 4 years and she was pretty large when I got her, so she could be getting old.