My millipede collection

Marika

Arachnoangel
Well, my "collection" is a lot smaller than it used to be. I've lost some, sold some, haven't bought anything new and no new babies afaik.

I haven't named all my millipedes, but this girl is called Fobia :p She was my first of this species, I've had her for almost 4 years now.
DSC05888 – kopio.JPG
Don't know what she's been doing, she has a dent on her collum.
DSC05895 – kopio.JPG
DSC05898 – kopio.JPG
DSC05899 – kopio.JPG
DSC05901 – kopio.JPG

silveralex

Arachnopeon
She's so beautiful!!! I wish there was more variety in the United States, I just started my collection and I have 2 giant gold, 1 desert, and 1 African Giant.

WyrmSwarm

Arachnosquire
I have previously posted some photos of my millipedes, but I thought I'd start my own thread :). I got my first pede 3 years ago and noticed that it's impossible to only have one :D

So, this is what I currently have in my collection.

Anadenobolus monilicornis. I bought 4 juveniles and now I have...well, a lot :D.

Anastreptus sp. These were sold as Anastreptus strongylotropis constrictus, but what I got are two different species. One of them has babies, I'm not sure which one, because I had them in the same tank at first and the pedelings are two small to be identified.

Aphistogoniulus hova. My very first pede was A. hova, he passed away a year ago. He's in the first pic. At the moment I have one adult female, a juvenile female and a bunch of pedelings.

Archispirostreptus gigas, adult female and pedelings :).

Arthrosphaera cf. brandtii. I know this is a risky species, but I also know these have been previously bred in captivity, so I decided to try. At the moment I have two of these, one of them I've had for over a year and the other for 5 months I think. One time I happened to see some courting behavior, so hopefully I have both sexes.

"Cameroon giant millipede". It was tiny when I got it, has grown a lot.

"Cameroon grey/cream stripe millipede". These two are probably adults now, but they are never on the surface, so I don't have any newer photos of them :D.

1.0 Centrobolus sp

Tons of Centrobolus splendidus :D. I started out with one female and two males. I thought I had separated all the males from the females, but I have new babies again...

Chicobolus spinigerus, one female, two males and tons of babies :).

2.0 Colossobolus giganteus

Dendrostreptus macracanthus
, juvenile male.

0.1 "Ghana blonde legged millipede"

1.0 Ophistreptus guineensis

1.1 Spirobolus walkeri. I'm so hoping these will breed.

0.2 Spirostreptidae sp 8. I love their color <3.

0.1 Spirostreptus gregorius

1.0 Spirostreptus cf. ibanda

0.1 "Tanzanian black yellow leg"
What a cool collection you have :) I’m curious, where did you find/buy all these guys from? Do you go through a specific breeder?

Marika

Arachnoangel
What a cool collection you have :) I’m curious, where did you find/buy all these guys from? Do you go through a specific breeder?
Thanks! I bought most of them from BugzUK and some were from other sellers/breeders. There are plenty of species available in Europe.

Last edited:

Marika

Arachnoangel
If your pills ever reproduce I'll gladly purchase
My last pill millipede died about 1.5 years ago and they didn't produce any offspring. I've decided not to buy more, unless people start having success in breeding them and I can find CB babies for sale. Also, I'm in Europe, so unfortunately I wouldn't be able to sell to you.

ErinM31

Arachnogoddess
Arachnosupporter
My last pill millipede died about 1.5 years ago and they didn't produce any offspring. I've decided not to buy more, unless people start having success in breeding them and I can find CB babies for sale. Also, I'm in Europe, so unfortunately I wouldn't be able to sell to you.
Sorry to hear that! Those are uniquely beautiful millipedes, but it seems pill millipedes must have rather specific requirements to thrive in captivity. :( Strangely, the difficulty seems to scale with size. My Glomeris pustulata seemed to be doing well for a few years, but it turned out that only one of their offspring survived and they gradually died off. I have had success with North American pill millipedes but they are tiiiny!

Marika

Arachnoangel
Sorry to hear that! Those are uniquely beautiful millipedes, but it seems pill millipedes must have rather specific requirements to thrive in captivity. :( Strangely, the difficulty seems to scale with size. My Glomeris pustulata seemed to be doing well for a few years, but it turned out that only one of their offspring survived and they gradually died off. I have had success with North American pill millipedes but they are tiiiny!
That's great that at least some species do well in captivity, even if they are tiny. Do you have any pics? I almost bought some Glomeris sp when I saw a few different species for sale a couple of years ago, but then decided to pass. It might be interesting to try keeping them though (maybe Glomeris pulchra, because G. pulchra is my favorite tarantula species, lol). Oh, how I wish Zoosphaerium neptunus could thrive in captivity, one of my dream species...

ErinM31

Arachnogoddess
Arachnosupporter
That's great that at least some species do well in captivity, even if they are tiny. Do you have any pics? I almost bought some Glomeris sp when I saw a few different species for sale a couple of years ago, but then decided to pass. It might be interesting to try keeping them though (maybe Glomeris pulchra, because G. pulchra is my favorite tarantula species, lol). Oh, how I wish Zoosphaerium neptunus could thrive in captivity, one of my dream species...
I think they’re a species of Onomeris endemic to the southeastern U.S. They were found in a wood pile in Georgia by another member here (can’t remember his AB name). I keep them in their own enclosure with millipede substrate from BugsInCyberspace enriched with extra decaying wood. Here’s a pair mating:
85FF3F22-F26A-43AD-92C5-F730024C512D.jpeg

I’ll take better photos when I can. They are significantly smaller than Armadillidium isopods.

Oh indeed! The pill millipedes of Madagascar are incredible! :wideyed:

Marika

Arachnoangel
My largest Spirostreptidae sp. 8 female has been digging in different spots lately and has spent the last 24 hours or so like this:
DSC05982.JPG

Hopefully it means something... Of course, she could be doing something else, but my A. gigas female acted like this when she was laying eggs. My only sp. 8 male has died, so I really hope he got the job done.

Marika

Arachnoangel
Sorry about the bad quality, I need to clean calcium stains from my enclosures to get better pics without disturbing the animals... Anyway, my C. spinigerus female and S. walkeri male have a thing going, lol.
DSC06056 – kopio.JPG
DSC06066 – kopio.JPG

Marika

Arachnoangel
Yay, at least one of my "Mozambique caramels" is still alive! I can't even remember the last time I saw them...
DSC06075 – kopio.JPG
DSC06072 – kopio.JPG