Introduce Yourself

Scubacat

Arachnopeon
Hello all! I am brand new to having an invert as a pet, or rather one that I didn’t catch myself and release later on. I have recently (as in about a week) purchased a centipede. I am not sure 100% if it is a Vietnamese centipede, but it is beautiful and awesome! I also don’t know if it is a male or a female. Most of my life, I have just had snakes, frogs, even an iguana at one point.

I am super new to all of this and I found this site the day I got my “little” one. 9 inches is huge to me for these crawlers. Lol. I have already learned about the dangers also associated with these sweet critters, but I am cautious. Already have the environment set up and they already ate! Seems super healthy and happy. I hope to learn more and be pretty active here! Thank you all for the warm welcomes!

Madnesssr

Arachnoknight
Hello! I have been in the invertebrate hobby for a little over a year. It all started with 2 leopard geckos and 1 African fat tailed gecko. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. I got tired of purchasing feeders, so I started growing my own. I breed mealworms, waxworms, Dubia and Eublaberus for them. When I decided to make their tanks bioactive, I purchased my first isopods. And it has grown from there.

I currently keep of 30 different isopods (close to 50 cultures do to breeding my odd balls). I also have 7 different type of millipede. My dream millipede is a Tonkinbolus dolfusii from pre-ban ancestors. LOL. I never thought those words would come out of my mouth..."dream millipede."

DARAPTOR

Arachnopeon
Hi everyone my name is Josh and I have owned 2 Ts and a lot of mantises including my current one, Vert

Lubed Tweezer

Arachnolord
Hi all. Nice to see some other hobbyists here. I'm just wandering around, have a look what to put in my new glass box.

KaroKoenig

Arachnobaron
Just signed up to this community. Tarantula keeper for about half a year now (a 2-year-old Brachypelma hamorii and a young adult Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens). I have been hanging out in some german-language forums and I'm looking forward to opening the horizon "over the pond".

prslaughter

Arachnopeon
Hello everyone, I'm pretty new to the arachnid scene, although I have kept insects of varied species in the past: mantids, roaches, walking sticks, beetles, etc. As mentioned in my profile, I started to find myself fascinated recently by spiders in general when I kept finding little jumpers running around on my apartment walls after the weather got cold this year (it stayed warm unseasonably long and then suddenly turned cold, and I think many inverts were surprised and confused by the unusual switch). Worried they would be killed off the next time our complex did their routine pest treatment, I homed each one in a large deli cup (I have lots since I've been actively keeping critters). There are four, and I am relatively sure they are all females (although admittedly I am nowhere near expert at sexing them). Two of these made eggcases in the cups after fattening up on roach feeders, one of which appears to be infertile since it has been two months without hatching and mama has basically abandoned it. The other I think I may have accidentally ruined the last time I opened the lid to add a feeder, as I opened it quite clumsily and seem to have torn a hole in the case. I am hoping I did not kill the babies as they are mighty cute and I have plenty of mini cups and feeders for them. I have enjoyed these little spiders SO much that I have been reading more about tarantulas, scorpions, and vinegaroons and these inverts are every bit as amazing and cool as their insect relatives. (Plus their larger size is easier for me to observe their behavior.) I am interested in getting some of these but am here to learn more before I take the plunge; so please don't be concerned about my lurking as I am trying to learn as much as possible before deciding what I want to adopt!

ratbaby

Arachnopeon
Hey!
Complete newbie to Tarantulas here. My names Holly.
I currently own alot of small animals and am doing a course in Exotics which opened the door to Tarantulas for me. I currently have 3 (2 Avic Avics) and one Caribena Versicolor. I have an Avic Kwitara and Tlitocatl Albopilsum on the way though! Looking to learn a lot and ad much as I can! Thanks

natobean19

Arachnopeon
Hi, my name is Natalee and I'm new to the forum and tarantula ownership in general. My husband owned a Chilean Rose Hair when we met and I was pretty horrified due to some extreme arachnophobia. His name was Frodo and he passed away several years ago. In the last couple of years I've overcome my fear of tarantulas (although not all spiders, lol) and had talked to my husband about getting another one, possibly a pink toe of some sort or another. A close friend of ours ended up getting a few tarantulas and gave us a B. vagans sling (hopefully that is the correct terminology). I finally decided to join Arachnoboards after reading here for the last several months, as I have a few questions regarding our new baby. Glad to be here and look forward to learning more from everyone.

Poonjab

Arachnoking
Been lurking here since 07. Just recently decided to start an account and interact. Been keeping T’s for quite some time. Still don’t consider myself a professional. Still lots to learn

ChrisBo4

Arachnopeon
Hi I'm new to the Tarantula hobby. It began as I was researching tarantulas as a Christmas gift for my daughter. The more I learned however, the more interested I became. My daughter's Christmas gift is an Aphonopelma Chalcodes... and my wife and I own together now a GBB, Aphonopelma Seemanni, and a Tliltocatl Albopilosum.

ohminsun

Arachnopeon
Hi all,
I'm Lynn from Illinois in the USA. I've owned mammals for forever (horses, cats) and got into reptiles a couple of years ago (Kenyan sand boa, monitors), followed by spideys within the last 6 months-ish. I have a jumper named Plum and just got my first two Ts a few days ago: A Brazilian Black named Zara and a Nicaraguan Curly Hair named Arturo. Long time listener but first time poster now! I used to have arachnophobia but thanks to YouTube channels like Dark Den and Tarantula Collective, Ts have really grown on me :)

LuluandJordie

Arachnopeon
Hi everyone, I’m Louise, I’m 31, I’m quite new to the hobby, I have one adult and one sling currently, I’m a tattoo artist by trade and my boss is kind enough to let me take my pets to work from time to time :) we also have other exotic animals at that place so for us it’s totally normal thanks for reading!

Ian14

Arachnobaron
Hi all. I've been keeping and breeding snakes for just over 30 years. I got into exotics just before my 12th birthday, after going to a local herp society show. I really wanted a Mexican red knee sling, just £1! My mum said no, I sulked, got a garter snake for my 12th birthday instead.
31 years later, having bred numerous western hognoses, Mexican hogs, barons racers, radiated rats, Aesculapians, garters, and many many others, I have moved into inverts. I have a P. sazimai sling that has just had it's second molt and doing great, along with a cb S. mutilans pedeling, again doing great
In the new year Im looking to add an OBT sling and a Guatamalan tiger tump.

newscorpionowner

Arachnopeon
I'm Tom,

I'm 24 years old in Georgia. My wife and I have just started this hobby about 3 months ago. Which started with scorpions, And now has turned into T's we have 4 T's and 3 scorpions. We love to watch them and feed them definitely a hobby worth trying.
We have 2 pink toes
1 Mexican red knee
1 curly haired
And 2 forest scorpions

Tom & Mal

faceinvader

Arachnopeon
Hi everyone - just starting out here, I'm a complete noob but I'll read any and all info I can get my hands on. My partner's an arachnophobe, which is a fun challenge but I've got a p regius sling that's been extremely well-received. I'm hoping after a little desensitization therapy, I'll be able to introduce a couple of cute T slings, or a small juvenile, so the slow growth won't mean there's suddenly a big hairy monster in the house and they can get used to them gradually. :anxious:

Any advice on jumper slings and awkward partners, very much welcome - spiders seem much easier to deal with :happy:

Ilov3lucy

Arachnopeon
Hello all,

I am super excited about joining Arachnoboards. I had been contemplating this move for a while and just never got around to joining.

I currently have 5 Ts. 4 of them (all NW) have been with me since they were slings and are now 6 years old.

Two days ago I adopted an Indian ornamental, however I do not think it's a Regalis (I think it's an Ornata, will post pic soon and get y'alls feedback).

I believe I have two Curlyhair Ts, however one is much bigger than the other (thought I had one of each sex but they are both 6 years old). Will post pic soon and maybe y'all can help identify.

SEE LIST, of my babies, below.

Rio Grande Gold - Hera
GBB - Aphrodite
Curlyhair - Medusa
Curlyhair - Akasha
P. Regalis (or Ornata, not sure yet) - Athena

Hope you all are having a great day!

Alfonso Faustino

Arachnopeon
Hi, all.

My name is Alfonso Faustino.

After doing ~4 months of researching tarantulas, on 18-December-2019, @ 1307 Hours PST, I purchased a Brachypelma Hamorii spiderling; I named him Arogog. He is my first tarantula.

I'm really happy with him; because, he doesn't hide; he is calm; he seems to trust me; he hasn't flicked hairs at me; and, he hasn't taken an aggressive posture with me.

He goes to the vial whenever I need to landscape his enclosure. After I'm done, I put the vial back in his enclosure, and he gets out of the vial on his own.

I think Arogog is a pretty smart and aware tarantula; and, I wanna make sure I make him happy, safe, and comfortable, which is the reason I joined this community -- to learn from you.

Thanks, in advance, for your guidance and support.

Check 6!
/s/ Alfonso Faustino

Last edited:

Thomas Jay

Arachnopeon
Howdy Everyone, my name is Thomas. I'm from southwestern Missouri, USA. I don't currently have any arachnids, though I have kept other invertebrates and reptiles for several years, and I've had plenty of interactions with wild arachnids (including the Aphonopelma hentzi I found in Greene County, Missouri that is in my avatar picture). I'm interested in getting more into keeping arachnids, especially Amblypygi and Heteropoda species.

On a professional level, I've been working with dogs and cats (and the occasional exotic mammal or bird) in the animal rescue industry for the past 6 years, as well as having spent two terms as a fish hatchery technician with the US Fish & Wildlife Service, and citizen scientist and docent for the Association of Zoos and Aquariums and Dickerson Park Zoo. As a docent, I've been able to interact with a few different tarantula species as part of educational outreach programs.

So that's a bit about me. Thanks, All.