Important Conservation Efforts...

Tarantulaguy2001

Arachnopeon
My apologies, I took it as tracking tags. What about their natural range? With it being changed into farmland/village expansion, how would you compete against that? As sad as it is to say, not many people are thrilled with the idea of spider conservation when there are larger, more popular animals out there as well. Then there comes the issue of import/export laws, which will be pretty pricey as well.
We need people to join so we can come together and stand against, and even sue if we have to, these nasty deforesters. We need a organization who is willing to reforest the native habitat of the species. If you want to join us, contact me via Email at:
firealarmdude01@gmail.com

Tarantulaguy2001

Arachnopeon
And as soon as the t molts, you go get the tag??
The tags need to be injected (carefully!) into the abdomen or any area away from vital organs. We need an aracneaologist for that. The anatomy is important and I don't want to have an amateur to inject it incorrectly, so if you know a professional to join. If you want to join or contact me, email me at:
How are these tags going to survive a molt ?

Tarantulaguy2001

Arachnopeon
No way is there enough wild Poecotheria metallica to breed from in just the wild. The species is doomed in the wild. You could introduce captive bred individuals into the wild if you could get the permits. This sounds like a long shot though. Also, how are you going to have the time to individually feed and take care of thousands of slings by yourself? Would you hire volunteers?

Personally, I'd start smaller. We don't know for sure how large the wild population of this species is. An estimation of the number of would individuals would be a massive help to conservation efforts. An easy Lincoln Peterson mark recapture test would be the best thing you could do IMO.

Also, I'm not normally a stickler about this, but if you're going to do this you should at least learn the correct way to write a scientific name. Poecilotheria metallica or Poecilotheria metallica are the correct ways to write the name. The genus name should be capitalized and the species name should be lower case. The whole name should be underlined or italicized. The binomial P. metallica is less formal and should be avoided in scientific writings. You're papers will look more professional if you use these rules.
I am using a phone. I cannot italicize. Don't judge me . Anyway, we need as much people as possible to join. We need enough supporters to either file a lawsuit, or sue if we have to. Deforesting these natural habitats should be against the law. Help stop this by joining me at:
This is via email by the way.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
@Tarantulaguy2001

I'm not interested in getting into the debate and discussion of conservation, but may I suggest a more professional and relevant email address? No offense, but that email doesn't scream "dedicated conservationist", especially when you consider that new email accounts are absolutely free.

Tarantulaguy2001

Arachnopeon
@Tarantulaguy2001

I'm not interested in getting into the debate and discussion of conservation, but may I suggest a more professional and relevant email address? No offense, but that email doesn't scream "dedicated conservationist", especially when you consider that new email accounts are absolutely free.
I know. I am trying to make an email address for this. Any good name ideas? Suggest some!! I am out of ideas.

Tenevanica

Arachnodemon
I am using a phone. I cannot italicize. Don't judge me . Anyway, we need as much people as possible to join. We need enough supporters to either file a lawsuit, or sue if we have to. Deforesting these natural habitats should be against the law. Help stop this by joining me at:
You can italicize on a phone, I do it all the time. ;) Don't worry too much about it, but in any official writings you should write the names properly.

What are we going to sue for? Who are we going to sue? The Indian government? The logging company? There was no personal damage done to you. I'm not a lawyer, but even I can tell you we don't have grounds to sue. The people deforesting the habitats didn't break any laws, and you're unlikely to find anyone outside of the tarantula hobby that would be very sympathetic to this cause. Hell, I know a few people that would love to see more spider species going extinct. They'd start petitions to kill them off! It's sad, but there isn't much hope for this cause using this method.

cold blood

Staff member
The tags need to be injected (carefully!) into the abdomen or any area away from vital organs. We need an aracneaologist for that.
Interesting, I wasn't aware that was even possible. Is this a proven tagging technique for spiders?

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
Suing people for 'deforesting natural habitats' wouldn't work out to well (not that it's even possible there). But under that rule shouldn't we all be breaking the law? One way or another we're all connected to destruction of natural habitats. Don't mean to be a Debbie downer, but you won't be getting anywhere. If you want to help make a difference, and if you're still interested in it by the time you're getting ready to go to college, go for a conservation biology/ecology/zoology major.

Tenevanica

Arachnodemon
@Tarantulaguy2001 I'm telling you, your best bet is to fund a Lincoln Peterson index of the wild population. If you can gather the funds, (and I'll happily contribute) I'm sure you can find an entomologist or arachnologist with the permits to run the study. An estimation of the wild population size is something we desperately need if we're going to do anything involving saving this species in the future.

Tenevanica

Arachnodemon
If you want to help make a difference, and if you're still interested in it by the time you're getting ready to go to college, go for a conservation biology/ecology/zoology major.
I +1 this, the world needs more entomologists.

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
We need people to join so we can come together and stand against, and even sue if we have to, these nasty deforesters. We need a organization who is willing to reforest the native habitat of the species. If you want to join us, contact me via Email at:
And let me just add, they are not all 'nasty deforesters'. Sure there are some people that are illegal loggers, but others are just trying to provide for their families. We all would be doing the same if the area we live in currently wasn't already cleared away. You're not going to be able to reforest a native habitat while there are people living there still. You're going to need millions of dollars for relocation fees at least, and then comes the question of where are the people going to go? I'm not against conservation, hell that's what I'm majoring in, but you have to be logical with these things. Take your drive/love of conservation and focus them in a more plausible area.

Tenevanica

Arachnodemon
It's pretty hard to find a good program that offers a arachnology focus (I'm a senior majoring in fish & wildlife conservation).
I'm a junior majoring in biology with a focus in entomology. There are very few true arachnolgists. Most people who study arachnids would describe themselves as "entomologists who study arachnids" and nearly all of them have entomology degrees. There are a lot of great entomology programs, as it is a very important field.

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
I'm a junior majoring in biology with a focus in entomology. There are very few true arachnolgists. Most people who study arachnids would describe themselves as "entomologists who study arachnids" and nearly all of them have entomology degrees. There are a lot of great entomology programs, as it is a very important field.
There are, but not many are geared towards the study of spiders. I mean it's very possible to do it, but it requires a larger effort on the part of the student. Off topic, but where do you go to school if I may ask?