Important Conservation Efforts...

magicmed

Arachnobaron
I'll just put my 2 cents in, looks like everyone's got everything about covered, but here's my belief..

Natural extinction as much as I hate to admit it is inevitable for many species of animal, it is increased dramatically by human intervention via destruction of natural habitats and mass collection for food, product, or pet trade. Once an animals natural habitat is beyond repair for that species (whether that be their homes, food source, camouflage, etc) it is just a lost species (in nature)

That does NOT mean that the captive population has to die out. If enough experienced keepers began breeding and relocating the species to like minded hobbiest, then the animals "natural" habitat would essentially become the husbandry of the accepted enclosure. More and more people breed the species, and it becomes a solely captive bred species. Unless you have a TON of space, funds, food, and a crazy ecosystem machine to duplicate the animals natural habitat on a LARGE scale, that's just the only way to go about saving a species with such a selective habitat.

I hope you don't take this as insulting or anything like that, just offering reasons why naturally, some species wI'll just die off and that's turbo charged by humans

Tenevanica

Arachnodemon
I'll just put my 2 cents in, looks like everyone's got everything about covered, but here's my belief..

Natural extinction as much as I hate to admit it is inevitable for many species of animal, it is increased dramatically by human intervention via destruction of natural habitats and mass collection for food, product, or pet trade. Once an animals natural habitat is beyond repair for that species (whether that be their homes, food source, camouflage, etc) it is just a lost species (in nature)

That does NOT mean that the captive population has to die out. If enough experienced keepers began breeding and relocating the species to like minded hobbiest, then the animals "natural" habitat would essentially become the husbandry of the accepted enclosure. More and more people breed the species, and it becomes a solely captive bred species. Unless you have a TON of space, funds, food, and a crazy ecosystem machine to duplicate the animals natural habitat on a LARGE scale, that's just the only way to go about saving a species with such a selective habitat.

I hope you don't take this as insulting or anything like that, just offering reasons why naturally, some species wI'll just die off and that's turbo charged by humans
Amen! My exact thoughts! Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Tarantulaguy2001

Arachnopeon
There is a marked difference between pessimism and realism. You have nowhere to throw any money you may have when it comes to 'saving the species'. We understand your passion --that's what unites every hobbyist here--but you did not come to this thread with realistic expectations. You came with 'dreams', and ideas, which, while respectable, is not enough to accomplish what it is that you want.

Calling the choir you're preaching to 'pessimistic' is counterproductive; many of us are already contributing to the current captive population by breeding and promoting the species, given that is is likely to be extinct in the wild in twenty, thirty years. I recommend you join the effort (as we can see that you do care very much) by listening to some of these members here, especially given that there were some very thoughtful and informative posts in this thread.
I agree. Its time for me to come out of my shell. I apologize for disagreeing with you. This species is doomed to Be a domestic species forever. I am sorry if I was rude. I am also autistic, with aspergers syndrome, so it is hard for me to socialize since I cannot agree with other people easily. Please, find it in your heart to forgive me. All of you actually. Thank you and everyone else for your support. I am going to raise domestic P.Metallicas and promote the breeding of domestic ones. This may be the only way. You are right. I don't have that kind of money. Plus, I'm only 14. I am so sorry if I was rude to you.

Tarantulaguy2001

Arachnopeon
It's called reality, something teenagers fight all the time. The British Tarantula Society, with their influence and resources haven't been able to make much progress with the Indian government regarding Poecilotheria. Last I knew, the relationship had deteriorated significantly. And you're going to waltz in with the miracle solution no one else could come up with? You, a 14 year old with no money? Good plan. Who in England and India's even going to listen to you?

Contact the BTS and see what the status is on their Poecilotheria efforts and then get back with us.
I am going to go to the bts webpage and see it. Thanks for the suggestion. Again, you are right. They are doomed. I'm sorry for disagreeing with you. Being 14 with aspergers syndrome makes me very... Optimistic and stubborn once I prove my point. I am sorry if I was rude at any point.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
I am going to go to the bts webpage and see it. Thanks for the suggestion. Again, you are right. They are doomed. I'm sorry for disagreeing with you. Being 14 with aspergers syndrome makes me very... Optimistic and stubborn once I prove my point. I am sorry if I was rude at any point.

Enthusiasm & passion is good, you don't want to lose that. When you can focus that into action, is when you accomplish things. If you're willing to live in India, you would be able to do great things in conservation.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
I'm not able to figure out how this Theraphosidae rescue/save nonsense match with 2016 reality. Are we serious? We are reaching the point that elephants and lions (and other animals) are next to disappear at this rate if things continue this way (and I have the slightly feeling that things will continue this way), and probably our nephews would see those animals using a sort of Internet 5.0 with a 4/5 D hologram devices, and we are talking about saving spiders from: "third world nations that aren't anymore exactly completely third world like once and in a full crazy run of modernization at the cost of mother nature but oh who cares?", ah ah?

The people supporting/helping the big, supposed powerful, worldwide famous organizations supposed to protect the animals (and those animals environment) stated above fail hard, their dreams crumbling against a lot of things and issue, things and issues/reasons that, no matter the nation, starts and ends with the word 'cash'.

The only serious thing we can do on that sense for Theraphosidae is CB breed those. The rest are words made nothing of dreams and illusions.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
"third world nations that aren't anymore exactly completely third world like once and in a full crazy run of modernization at the cost of mother nature but oh who cares?", ah ah?
This is every country that went through modernization/industrialization periods which is almost all countries.

Awareness for animal conservation has gone up but lets be honest. We can't feed and take care of our own species so what makes you think we will fair any better with these other animal species?

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
This is every country that went through modernization/industrialization periods which is almost all countries.
No doubts, but in today era IMO is worst and pushed to another level. Italy, for instance. We went through that as well, but existed always a sort of respect for the boot environment/nature/life, sadly, not anymore today, because speculation prevail at all levels.

Awareness for animal conservation has gone up but lets be honest. We can't feed and take care of our own species so what makes you think we will fair any better with these other animal species?
I don't disagree. On a cash only themed world who cares about? That's the problem for me: lack of respect, uneducation, and 'cash' above everything. Above life.

Tenevanica

Arachnodemon
Being 14 with aspergers syndrome makes me very...
Damn, you really remind me of myself. I've the exact same syndromes. I did not, however, propose a multimillion dollar effort to save a critically endangered species that very few people care about. ;)

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
@Tarantulaguy2001

I'm sorry man, but I don't have the idea of what I have to clarify about post # 108 but let me rephrase.

We are living in a world that doesn't care at all about everything, aside for cash, power, control. And for mantain those 'values'. There's, as I've said, the serious risk of extinction of elephants (and other animals) if things continue this way, and things doesn't seem to change IMO. Do you think, then, that someone will care about spiders? Really?

I wish you the best, your intentions are noble and worth of respect, but reality, sadly, says another thing.

Respect for nature and wildlife in this era is reduced to a 'fashion' thing, like the brand new condo but "wow, with a couple of trees in the middle of those".

There is also the weather issue to consider, the "revenge" of mother nature. Talking about genus Poecilotheria in general (so not only P.metallica) there's not only India to consider, but Sri Lanka as well, and the situation isn't that good.

Those floods and landslides how much life snuff in minutes?

As I've said, the best is to CB breed those Theraphosidae. This is what we can do.

Tarantulaguy2001

Arachnopeon
@Tarantulaguy2001

I'm sorry man, but I don't have the idea of what I have to clarify about post # 108 but let me rephrase.

We are living in a world that doesn't care at all about everything, aside for cash, power, control. And for mantain those 'values'. There's, as I've said, the serious risk of extinction of elephants (and other animals) if things continue this way, and things doesn't seem to change IMO. Do you think, then, that someone will care about spiders? Really?

I wish you the best, your intentions are noble and worth of respect, but reality, sadly, says another thing.

Respect for nature and wildlife in this era is reduced to a 'fashion' thing, like the brand new condo but "wow, with a couple of trees in the middle of those".

There is also the weather issue to consider, the "revenge" of mother nature. Talking about genus Poecilotheria in general (so not only P.metallica) there's not only India to consider, but Sri Lanka as well, and the situation isn't that good.

As I've said, the best is to CB breed those Theraphosidae. This is what we can do.
That was a mouthfull, but you clarified it. Thanks. Also, you talked about the good and the bad outcomes for this. I kinda sorta agree with some of it, but I actually found a part of it offensive. I hope you know that the Wildlife Conservation Society (WCS) or the Wildlife Protection Society is actually protecting all of the endangered animals-- all except for the P. Metallica tarantulas. I hope you can understand me.

Tarantulaguy2001

Arachnopeon
@Tarantulaguy2001

And, my intentions are true and noble to their word. I swear it on a stack of bibles.

Tarantulaguy2001

Arachnopeon

This would be a horrible suggestion, but it would really work: STOP HUMANS FROM REPOPULATING!!!

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
That was a mouthfull, but you clarified it. Thanks. Also, you talked about the good and the bad outcomes for this. I kinda sorta agree with some of it, but I actually found a part of it offensive. I hope you know that the Wildlife Conservation Society (WCS) or the Wildlife Protection Society is actually protecting all of the endangered animals-- all except for the P. Metallica tarantulas. I hope you can understand me.
I don't care nor IMO matters to me if you (or others) think that what I've said, or part of, sounds offensive. I'm used to that, and I'm talking about "real life", the one that matters.
I do know that there's people, worldwide, struggling for defend and protect animals and the environment. As I know well, that, on the "higher roofs", no one cares. It's called "today reality".

Trenor

Arachnoprince
No doubts, but in today era IMO is worst and pushed to another level. Italy, for instance. We went through that as well, but existed always a sort of respect for the boot environment/nature/life, sadly, not anymore today, because speculation prevail at all levels.
I'm not disputing what you said. I agree with it mostly but when Italy was going through industrialization it was still early in the industrial era so a lot of changes/effects were more gradual. They are trying to catch up with the rest of us in one big swoop which ends up like we are seeing. We have some of the same issues here as well. There are cities in the US I would never live unless I had no other choice because of the pollution. This is the world we live in.

I just find it odd that we seem to expect more from everyone in the world in regards to protecting animals when most people could care less about other people. If we can't be bothered to care about each other how can we be bothered to care for animal <insert any animal besides humans here>?