I have no clue what's wrong with it

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
I have no idea what to about him. His legs looked like they were moving slightly, but I don't know :(
its probably dehydrated, if you bothered reading my previous post, youd know that the sub is too dry and a water bowl should be installed.

cold blood

Staff member
its probably dehydrated, if you bothered reading my previous post, youd know that the sub is too dry and a water bowl should be installed.
Yep, theyre a very moisture dependent species...even if they weren't super fast, skittish, large, and highly venomous, that moisture requirement alone would still keep them in the advanced species side.

Moisture is a hard thing for new people to dial in on, get it slightly wrong, and the t suffers. Add enough moisture to that enclosure and you might see mold and mushrooms by morning. Venom's set up was much much better.

Keep in mind op, that only a few species are this moisture dependent. Which just adds to it being one of the worst first t choices you could have gotten. It really bothers me that someone would sell this species to a beginner....what was the sellers rationalization on that? Did she even warn you about all the specifics on this species. I just can't imagine a new keeper, fully informed, even thinking about taking one of these home. I turned down some 5 years ago, and at that time I had more than a decade of experience with NW.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
I have no idea what to about him. His legs looked like they were moving slightly, but I don't know :(
Its enclosure looks very dry. Try to get the humidity up a bit by pouring a little water down the sides into the substrate. I'd also give it a waterdish, a bottle cap is big enough. Maybe it is slightly dehydrated.
Have you read what people (and i) posted about it being an OW and not very good starter?

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Yep, theyre a very moisture dependent species...even if they weren't super fast, skittish, large, and highly venomous, that moisture requirement alone would still keep them in the advanced species side.

Moisture is a hard thing for new people to dial in on, get it slightly wrong, and the t suffers. Add enough moisture to that enclosure and you might see mold and mushrooms by morning. Venom's set up was much much better.

Keep in mind op, that only a few species are this moisture dependent. Which just adds to it being one of the worst first t choices you could have gotten. It really bothers me that someone would sell this species to a beginner....what was the sellers rationalization on that? Did she even warn you about all the specifics on this species. I just can't imagine a new keeper, fully informed, even thinking about taking one of these home. I turned down some 5 years ago, and at that time I had more than a decade of experience with NW.
It probably went a little like this:
Seller: hey dude, you wanna spider?
Buyer: yeah sure, yolo right?
:shifty:

Tori1013

Arachnopeon

She said she needed it gone. She didn't tell me any specifics. I tried looking stuff up, but didn't find much

Tori1013

Arachnopeon
Its enclosure looks very dry. Try to get the humidity up a bit by pouring a little water down the sides into the substrate. I'd also give it a waterdish, a bottle cap is big enough. Maybe it is slightly dehydrated.
Have you read what people (and i) posted about it being an OW and not very good starter?
I have, and I had no idea

cold blood

Staff member
She said she needed it gone. She didn't tell me any specifics. I tried looking stuff up, but didn't find much
Ahh, so she learned about it and was like, "forget that, I need this out of the house"

Post an ad, maybe you can find someone local or semi-local to trade it for a more appropriate NW species.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
That's actually not how it went.
Glad to read i was wrong.
Try applying more moisture, the spider needs it, especially since it is small. Have you considered what you will be doing? (keeping or return it/trade it?)

Edit:
just read how you got it. That is some friend to dump an OW on a non-suspecting beginner....

Tori1013

Arachnopeon
Ahh, so she learned about it and was like, "forget that, I need this out of the house"

Post an ad, maybe you can find someone local or semi-local to trade it for a more appropriate species.
No clue, she said she has like 7 tarantulas, so maybe.

Tori1013

Arachnopeon
Glad to read i was wrong.
Try applying more moisture, the spider needs it, especially since it is small. Have you considered what you will be doing? (keeping or return it/trade it?)

Edit:
just read how you got it. That is some friend to dump an OW on a non-suspecting beginner....
I mean, I want to keep it. I've wanted one for a while. I can't return it. But if I can't take care of it, I'll have to give it to someone who can.

cold blood

Staff member
I mean, I want to keep it. I've wanted one for a while. I can't return it. But if I can't take care of it, I'll have to give it to someone who can.
Trade, don't sell, there's literally 100's of really cool species, most of which as a new keeper, you will be able to enjoy much more than this one.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Are you sure it is a Borneo Black? (common names suck, it is hell to identify a spider by its common name alone).
Can it be a Brasilian Black?
the nymph is a 1st instar.... she has maybe a 5th instar. not surprised it looks different.