I have no clue what's wrong with it

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Okay, assuming that it is indeed a Borneo Black, it needs water. Before you open its enclosure, make sure you know where it is located in there.
Make sure you are in the middle of a wide open space, or put it in the bathtub with the drain plugged. Make sure you can't be disturbed. Put the enclosure in another, bigger tub, this creates more walls he has to climb to get away, giving you more reaction time, in the event he might make a run for it.
If you have a seringe or an eye dropper, this would come in handy right now, but a cup or glass is also fine. Fill it with water (before opening the enclosure).
Very gently open the enclosure for as wide as needed to pour the water in, but keep it as closed as possible. Pour the water in down the sides, not on or near the spider since this could trigger a bolt. Close the enclosure, and make sure it is closed before putting it away.

Edit:
Darn it, i forgot to mention the catch cup. Before opening the enclosure, make sure you have some (4, 5) plastic cups within arms reach. This way, you can recapture it if it bolts on you.

Shudragon

Arachnopeon
Echoing Andrea and Venom, get some water near him but not on him. If you have tongs (I wouldn't put my hand anywhere near that enclosure) you could do a water dish using a bottlecap or similar, then using what andrea described to fill that as well.

Edit: Also not mentioned, always keep a deli cup w/lid or cardboard nearby incase he bolts, you can use this to trap him and put him back in.

Tori1013

Arachnopeon
Okay, assuming that it is indeed a Borneo Black, it needs water. Before you open its enclosure, make sure you know where it is located in there.
Make sure you are in the middle of a wide open space, or put it in the bathtub with the drain plugged. Make sure you can't be disturbed. Put the enclosure in another, bigger tub, this creates more walls he has to climb to get away, giving you more reaction time, in the event he might make a run for it.
If you have a seringe or an eye dropper, this would come in handy right now, but a cup or glass is also fine. Fill it with water (before opening the enclosure).
Very gently open the enclosure for as wide as needed to pour the water in, but keep it as closed as possible. Pour the water in down the sides, not on or near the spider since this could trigger a bolt. Close the enclosure, and make sure it is closed before putting it away.

Edit:
Darn it, i forgot to mention the catch cup. Before opening the enclosure, make sure you have some (4, 5) plastic cups within arms reach. This way, you can recapture it if it bolts on you.
I don't think he'll bolt. He hasn't moved. Also, he's in the corner he burrows in, so wouldn't the water run down there if I pour it in??

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
I have no clue. I'm not at home right now. I'm going to mist it when I get home.
dont bother misting, that bumps humidity and gives it a water source for like 5min. pout some water down the sides and put a water dish in.

Shudragon

Arachnopeon
I don't think he'll bolt. He hasn't moved. Also, he's in the corner he burrows in, so wouldn't the water run down there if I pour it in??
Depending on the substrate type, itll mostly just get directly absorbed wherever you pour it. And yes, he will be okay, just a little stressed if he gets directly hit.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Try pouring it down a side that is opposite from him, maybe tilt the enclosure a little, and don't pour it in too fast. I would not mist, since it doesn't help much, and within such a small enclosure, you run the risk of getting your sling wet, and it won't like that.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
From the picture of him you provided, it looked like he has eaten well, judging by the size of its abdomen (or butt). It could also make ready to molt, causing it to be so inactive. But I don't know how this species looks when in premolt.
@Venom1080 might know more about that.
I'm off, it's past my bedtime already, I have a five year old waking me in about seven hours ;)

Tori1013

Arachnopeon
yes.
i cant say 100% on if its in premolt or not. id say yes based on the size of the abdomen, but i dont know if its still taking food.
I think he ate once since I've had him. He looks like his abdomen is really small now

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
I put the bottle cap in, and poured some water in the tank itself. The darker spot in the upper left corner is him

Edit: How long should it take for him to start showing signs of improvement??
the sides should all be dark, indicating theyre wet. if theres a few dry spots thats fine. you may need to pour more water in.
it looks very stressed, put something for it to hide in or behind.

Last edited:

cold blood

Staff member
it looks very stressed, put something for it to hide in or behind in.
Yes, it desperately needs something to both climb on and get under. Ts don't like to be exposed..Lampros really really hate to be exposed.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
i really urge you to trade it to someone more experienced in your area for a better beginner species. im a fairly optimistic person, but i cant see you successfully raising that spider.

Tori1013

Arachnopeon
He has something to climb and hide under. I took it out to pour water in and put the bottle cap in. I'll see if I can find somewhere to trade him

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
He has something to climb and hide under. I took it out to pour water in and put the bottle cap in. I'll see if I can find somewhere to trade him
its more fun to have a tarantula you dont stress over every day. :)