Has anyone here ever eaten their tarantula?

mack1855

Arachnoangel
Arachnosupporter +
HUUUMMM.Chocolate covered rosehairs.Ok,the more I think about it......

LD67

Arachnopeon
Right, I could have used Google there and saved me the embarrassment :confused:. But you have to forgive me, I´m Norwegian and as a non-EU country we have heavy taxes on any imported goods that might compete with Norwegian agricultural products. It´s a good thing, really! We have this, it looks the same as what Google claims kit-kat to be, but it´s produced in Oslo: We might even have kit-kat here, but I don´t eat much sweets and the imported products would be much more expensive than ours.

View attachment 222972
You have that strohmming there. THAT sounds gross! Not sure how you spell it. All i know is it's that fermented rotten fish.

cold blood

Staff member
Right, I could have used Google there and saved me the embarrassment :confused:. But you have to forgive me, I´m Norwegian and as a non-EU country we have heavy taxes on any imported goods that might compete with Norwegian agricultural products. It´s a good thing, really! We have this, it looks the same as what Google claims kit-kat to be, but it´s produced in Oslo: We might even have kit-kat here, but I don´t eat much sweets and the imported products would be much more expensive than ours.

View attachment 222972
Try them, they are really good.

Olan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I made waxworm tacos once. Ordered a tub of them, gave half to the tarantulas and fried up the other half. I was inspired by the idea of inverts as a more sustainable protein source. The flavor was not bad, but I couldn't look at the tacos as I bit into them. A moderately successful experiment.

TownesVanZandt

Arachnoprince
You have that strohmming there. THAT sounds gross! Not sure how you spell it. All i know is it's that fermented rotten fish.
No, you are mixing us with the Swedes, I´m afraid. Surstrømming is a Swedish dish of rotten herring, we have our own called rakfisk, which is rotten trout. On Iceland they also have a dish of rotten shark. I suppose we Norsemen enjoy our fish rotten and fermented from time to time :)

Trenor

Arachnoprince
Well, they can if they're highly stressed or ill.

Even then, I've had to force feed baby Malayan pit vipers that were perfectly healthy, for a year and half before they would eat for themselves. Some snakes that are obligate amphibian feeders when young for example, simply will not take mice/rats at all, and will starve to death.

I even left one of the babies (they were around 4 inches, so very small), 2 months without food and it still wouldn't eat and started to lose condition, so i had to start force feeding.
My ball python will not eat pre-killed food or even stunned food. Partly because he is well fed/plump and partly because live food is all it's ever eaten. I've no doubt, if I were to try and hold out long enough for him to have to worry about the next meal he would change his eating habits.

In the case of your vipers their instincts tell them how they should hunt/eat prey and you've removed their ability to behave as instinct tells them to. They don't know how to eat in other ways yet and so they don't eat the food. That's not because the animal chooses to stare to death rather than eat something it doesn't like. It doesn't know how to eat the food provided and starves.

Kinda like giving putting a cheeseburger down beside a newborn baby and when it doesn't eat thinking it chose to starve. It didn't know how to consume the meal provided and that was more the issue than choosing not to consume the food.

Some animals will. I'd rather not try and wait out a picky tarantula who won't eat dubia vs just getting it something it WILL eat. I wouldn't force myself to go without food until I gave up and got hungry enough to eat something I didn't want in the first place, so why would I do it to my animals? Who wins by trying to be more stubborn than a spider? I want to raise these things, not get in a battle of wills with them. Well, more often than I already do! :rolleyes:
We often over feed out pets (and our kids) since we associate a eating animal as healthy. You hear this all the time, "My pet was doing great and he was eating just fine the other day." When food is plentiful the animal can be as picky as he wants (This is why we are so picky in America, lots of food choices and a large quantity of food).

We take an animal that is able to go months without food and we see them not eat for a week or two (when offered a different/new food item) then think they are starving themselves rather than eat that item. When, in reality, it is more like your still really full from a large meal and then deciding you don't want an extra kale salad but you'll take a bit of chocolate cake.

I grew up on a farm, kept lots of exotic pets and have owned 60+ Ts. I've yet to see a healthy animal that would not eat when hungry and offered a food item it was able to consume. You don't win at evolution by being picky.

LD67

Arachnopeon
No, you are mixing us with the Swedes, I´m afraid. Surstrømming is a Swedish dish of rotten herring, we have our own called rakfisk, which is rotten trout. On Iceland they also have a dish of rotten shark. I suppose we Norsemen enjoy our fish rotten and fermented from time to time :)
I'll stick with pizza.

JohnDapiaoen

Arachnobro
Old Timer
hmmm I'd eat someone else's tarantula or a wild one but none that I've put effort into raising. kinda like when I had pet chickens, I didn't eat them when their time came, but I freaking love KFC and Popeyes.

-JohnD.

EDIT: Of course only if I HAVE to.

Last edited:

kevinlowl

Arachnoknight
While I would have no qualms on eating a tarantula just because it's a tarantula, I'm not going to eat a fifty dollar pet that I've raised, cared deeply about, and possibly named just to see what it's like. If I saw one on a menu at a restaurant, or otherwise had the chance to eat one I had no connection with, I would probably try it. I've had both crickets and mealworms from my supply of feeders, this wouldn't be all that different.
You eat your feeders? :eek: I have to ask, what does the mealworm taste like? I tried crickets in Thailand and they tasted like shit.

Jeff23

Arachnolord
There is only one reason to eat tarantulas or feeders unless you are a starving person in some remote place.... So you can say you have done it. Sorry but there is no prize. This whole thread is repulsive and should be deleted.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
No, but since things aren't that well here in Italy (despite Matteo Renzi garbage... live from Washington DC) I have ready my 0.1 Megaphobema robustum, a tomato, extra virgin olive oil and a piece of bread for the struggle. She will give me the strenght for fight another day :-s
If the Goddess 0.1 Pelinobius muticus PBUH (Peace Be Upon Her) doesn't eat the male, do you not eat him as penance for proffering an inferior consort not even fit to be eaten by Her Excellency?

KaptinKrunch

Arachnopeon
They eat them in Indonesia and places like that. I seen a few documentaries on eating spiders, bugs and insects. I don't think there's anything wrong with eating them if you enjoy them but I wouldn't be cooking my T's under any circumstance. I can't imagine they taste very nice either.

Jeff23

Arachnolord
Man ludicrous questions like this shouldn't be allowed on the forum..
It's like going to a cat forum and asking how many members have eaten kittens..
^^^^ This sums it up.

We should talk about eating them in a cooking or kitchen forum, not a forum where some people cry or get depressed about their deaths.

user 666

Arachnobaron
And to those that say some tarantulas won't eat a dubia, I say they haven't let their spider get hungry enough yet :)

An animal won't starve itself to death given the option.
My pet bird is such a picky eater that he nearly starved to death the first month I had him.

He had food in his dish, but I hadn't realized he wasn't going to eat any of it until it was nearly too late.

Belegnole

Tarantula Guy
Old Timer
Once upon a time I went on a lengthy road trip with a friend of mine. We traveled out west and then up the coast. Somewhere we stopped at this place that seemed to have every odd food known to man. Since we were on a adventure we decided to give some of the things a try. We spent awhile finding the oddest things we could and then went back to camp.

Over the years I've had all sorts of things. Bugs are nothing. Heck I'm a motorcyclist, and now you know how we get road snacks....lol

Would I eat my Ts.... No. I don't eat things that die of old age or illness. Nor do I rest my pets.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
If the Goddess 0.1 Pelinobius muticus PBUH (Peace Be Upon Her) doesn't eat the male, do you not eat him as penance for proffering an inferior consort not even fit to be eaten by Her Excellency?
I directly throw him into my Scolopendra subspinipes 'Colosseo' (Coliseum) enclosure :troll:

Paramite

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
There is only one reason to eat tarantulas or feeders unless you are a starving person in some remote place.... So you can say you have done it. Sorry but there is no prize. This whole thread is repulsive and should be deleted.
Do you eat meat?

Edit: It's basicly the same when people can't understand that anyone could eat a dog or a cat, but they have no problem eating a pig. I don't see a difference.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Do you eat meat?

Edit: It's basicly the same when people can't understand that anyone could eat a dog or a cat, but they have no problem eating a pig. I don't see a difference.
The differences are in taste: cats meat is a more IMO crappy rabbit one. Dogs meat is poop, according to people I trust that in China eaten those 'wok' style. When it comes to the Noble Pig, in Italy we literally throw away nothing :cigar: