Has anyone here ever eaten their tarantula?

cold blood

Staff member
I found a box of chocolate tarantulas...... mmmmm mmmmm good,,,, all solid milk chocolate :)
Ive also had gummy tarantulas also real good ,,, not as good as the chocolate ones but will do in pinch :angelic:
Next up...chocolate covered gummy tarantulas.:hungry:

Wolfspidurguy

Arachnobaron
yeah there are also dehydrated Aphonopelma seemann for sale that youtubers use to make a clickbaity video. it makes me sad seeing them used for this because the only thing i think when i see "canned zebra tarantulas" for sale is that someone could of given it a loveing home and even from a business standpoint youd make way more money selling live ones to T keepers so all i see is a T that died for no good reason

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
yeah there are also dehydrated Aphonopelma seemann for sale that youtubers use to make a clickbaity video. it makes me sad seeing them used for this because the only thing i think when i see "canned zebra tarantulas" for sale is that someone could of given it a loveing home and even from a business standpoint youd make way more money selling live ones to T keepers so all i see is a T that died for no good reason
Yeah, you know, I honestly 'hate' the bucks-mentality around/behind that 'fashion-alternative' food and whatever, like, for instance, insects and stuff that here in the Western world all of a sudden now are 'big' (here in Italy in all honesty not exactly, however). I despise those YT, and not, 'influencers' as well.

But, at the same time, I'm not sure if I have the right to judge other people that decide (for different reasons than what I've said above) to try T's and whatever, as food.

Only because I'm a keeper (just like everyone else, here) I don't think that I have the right to say that doing such a thing is wrong or else.

For instance, I like horse meat. Well, a lot of meat eaters (so not exactly vegetarians and vegans) heavily dislike that, and not for religious, or else, reasons.

So I wonder, who and when decided which animal meat is 'ok' and 'socially accepted' to eat and which one isn't? :angelic:

Last edited:

D Sherlod

Arachnoknight
Yeah, you know, I honestly 'hate' the bucks-mentality around/behind that 'fashion-alternative' food and whatever, like, for instance, insects and stuff that here in the Western world all of a sudden now are 'big' (here in Italy in all honesty not exactly, however). I despise those YT, and not, 'influencers' as well.

But, at the same time, I'm not sure if I have the right to judge other people that decide (for different reasons than what I've said above) to try T's and whatever, as food.

Only because I'm a keeper (just like everyone else, here) I don't think that I have the right to say that doing such a thing is wrong or else.

For instance, I like horse meat. Well, a lot of meat eaters (so not exactly vegetarians and vegans) heavily dislike that, and not for religious, or else, reasons.

So I wonder, who and when decided which animal meat is 'ok' and 'socially accepted' to eat and which one isn't? :angelic:
I agree completely
For example rabbit is raised for meat is very socially acceptable yet because I have owned so my rabbits as pets I could never dream of ever even trying it.
I have however eaten deer, moose , bear , snake , alligator and several insects crickets, chocolate covered ants etc.
And numerous live goldfish when I was young and drunk (but that' a whole other story).

Whitelightning777

Arachno-heretic
Nyx blue6.jpg
Your cat is beautiful. And I'm sure she is a great hunter.

She is. She's an ex feral rescue cat with a prey drive out of this world. Any toy that resembles an invert is quickly shredded.

In Baltimore, at my last place, she would flatten a dozen roaches each day & I wouldn't even ever see them in the first place!!

She also tangled with a huge centipede that had the girlfriend terrified. The vet said don't bring her in and we can't give medicine because it could interact with the venom. She took about a day to heal for the swelling to subside on the face and paw.

I suspect she was eating bugs in the wild not just rodents and birds.

The girlfriend claimed the remains were 6" long, which means not native to Baltimore. The roaches we had looked exactly like B lats ironically enough.

For some reason, the red laser dot is much preferred.

I don't think you should feed Ts to cats either!!

Last edited:

Garth Vader

Arachnobaron

You are a horse eating brute! :rofl:.
View attachment 267820

She is. She's an ex feral rescue cat with a prey drive out of this world. Any toy that resembles an invert is quickly shredded.

In Baltimore, at my last place, she would flatten a dozen roaches each day & I wouldn't even ever see them in the first place!!

She also tangled with a huge centipede that had the girlfriend terrified. The vet said don't bring her in and we can't give medicine because it could interact with the venom. She took about a day to heal for the swelling to subside on the face and paw.

I suspect she was eating bugs in the wild not just rodents and birds.

The girlfriend claimed the remains were 6" long, which means not native to Baltimore. The roaches we had looked exactly like B lats ironically enough.

For some reason, the red laser dot is much preferred.

I don't think you should feed Ts to cats either!!
Yeah my old cat Bobby (RIP) was a rescue cat when I lived in Alabama. He had been living in the woods fighting raccoons and his knows what else. He was so scabby and scrappy when I got him and then he turned into a marshmallow. Anyway, when I was still in Bama, there were a lot of roaches around and he hunted them and tortured them for hours. Even here in Washington, he spent his last years lazing around in the garden or on the couch but every once in a while he would present us with a dead bird or rabbit!

Enjoy your kitty!

MantisRCool

Arachnopeon
I’d probably try to eat A tarantula if I visited one of the countries where they eat them. But not my tarantulas lol! Even if I didn’t already spend time and money raising them and caring for them, still u could get a decent lunch for a price of an usual spider, and a luxury dinner instead of the more expensive ones. I’d rather eat a lobster than P. metallica to be honest.

Mychajlo

Arachnosquire
I’ve alwas heard that the legs were really tasty, like a salted peanut type deal but the abdomen was the “worst part” very bitter.
I would be down to try it but only under the circumstances that it wasn’t my own pet, like stated before

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
I’ve alwas heard that the legs were really tasty, like a salted peanut type deal but the abdomen was the “worst part” very bitter.
The Opistosoma (Italian, ancient splendid and marvellous language, because in English we need to add an 'H' so is Opisthosoma) is tasty like crazy when impacted.

Basically is like eating a more softy, different kind of Nutella :pompous:

Speaking of Nutella (therefore Ferrero S.P.A) uhm... if someone located in Alba city is reading this, or eventually will read this ^, remember to mention Chris LXXIX as the genius that give you the suggestion :bored:

Whitelightning777

Arachno-heretic
There are some hippie types that think we should be eating insects, which would be more practical due to the high reproductive rates.

I'm not so sure. Besides, as long as Da'esh hates the thought of eating bacon, I'll continue doing that!!

Yummy or not? You decide.

Dave Jay

Arachnoknight
I have looked into the eating insects thing because a friend was very enthusiastic about it . What he was into was farming insects, processing them to make meal which could then be used in various types of food products. Things like adding mealworm meal to bread in places where animal protein was hard to come by, or cricket powder to add to meals, things like that. Apparently isopod powder and shrimp powder taste almost identical, they are crustaceans after all. The nutrient yield for the production costs and space used farming insects is enormous, much more efficient than regular farming, done properly it could feed the world without the need to clear another acre of forest for farmland ever. I agree, but I don't want to eat it! Lol.
At school I studied Indonesian rather than French or German and my teacher had actually billeted in a small village far from the tourist areas and she told of the family she stayed with leaving 'cabbages' out to be fly blown as the maggots are a good source of nutrients for their children. It was made into a tasty soup and the maggots just looked like rice except they popped when bitten she said.

Wolfspidurguy

Arachnobaron
I have looked into the eating insects thing because a friend was very enthusiastic about it . What he was into was farming insects, processing them to make meal which could then be used in various types of food products. Things like adding mealworm meal to bread in places where animal protein was hard to come by, or cricket powder to add to meals, things like that. Apparently isopod powder and shrimp powder taste almost identical, they are crustaceans after all. The nutrient yield for the production costs and space used farming insects is enormous, much more efficient than regular farming, done properly it could feed the world without the need to clear another acre of forest for farmland ever. I agree, but I don't want to eat it! Lol.
At school I studied Indonesian rather than French or German and my teacher had actually billeted in a small village far from the tourist areas and she told of the family she stayed with leaving 'cabbages' out to be fly blown as the maggots are a good source of nutrients for their children. It was made into a tasty soup and the maggots just looked like rice except they popped when bitten she said.
i beleve eating a T if your starveing and have nothing else but dont eat Ts because your bored and think it would be funny or something

Dave Jay

Arachnoknight
I did eat an Oscar once as the shop took all my other big cichlids but wouldn't take the Oscar as one eye looked funny due to an injury years before. I had an order of wild caught small cichlid species coming and nowhere to keep a 12" Oscar, I thought how many fish have I killed and eaten in my life so why be squeamish about this one? So we had fish for dinner and I cleaned the Oscar along with the other fish and fried it up. It wasn't an Oscar I had raised btw, it was dumped on me a year or so earlier, if I'd raised it from a baby myself I might not have gone through with it, but it couldn't live in a bucket and I couldn't get rid of it.

Whitelightning777

Arachno-heretic
Those urticating hairs would really ruin it anyway.

Farming tarantulas for food would be like farming cougars for food, to high up on the chain.

Just as cougars would need deer or cattle to eat, any spider is going to need feeders which themselves are edible and far quicker to produce.

Hissers or Dubai roaches probably make the most sense to create a new human source of protein should one he needed, for instance going to Mars etc.