Has anyone here ever eaten their tarantula?

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
No, but since things aren't that well here in Italy (despite Matteo Renzi garbage... live from Washington DC) I have ready my 0.1 Megaphobema robustum, a tomato, extra virgin olive oil and a piece of bread for the struggle. She will give me the strenght for fight another day :-s

acrooks

Arachnopeon
Here's a video review of the same product. It's amazing what folks will eat....

Bugmom

Arachnolord
Nope. Nope nope nope. I'll eat a lot of things, but insects/bugs/worms/etc. aren't on that list.

14pokies

Arachnoprince
Man ludicrous questions like this shouldn't be allowed on the forum..
It's like going to a cat forum and asking how many members have eaten kittens..

mack1855

Arachnoangel
Arachnosupporter +
heck ya!!!.Spend several hundred dollars a year on feeders,worry about to much moisture,not enough moisture
OH Crap s/he,s molting,what do I do now.
I think its dead.NO,wait its just fine.Oh happy day.
New enclosure.off to buy new cork bark.Not the right cork bark.To tall.To short.OH CRAP!!!.
Worry over it,give it a name,worry about what gender I have.
Ah heck,just deep fry it,with Sirachi.
Nope,never crossed my mind.Now the neighbors Siamese cat on the other hand......

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Some people in some places eat Ts. I'd try them, except I don't think I'd like the texture. I could never eat one of my own Ts... I didn't raise them to be food.

Leonardo the Mage

Arachnosquire
While I would have no qualms on eating a tarantula just because it's a tarantula, I'm not going to eat a fifty dollar pet that I've raised, cared deeply about, and possibly named just to see what it's like. If I saw one on a menu at a restaurant, or otherwise had the chance to eat one I had no connection with, I would probably try it. I've had both crickets and mealworms from my supply of feeders, this wouldn't be all that different.

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
Mine cost too much to purchase and require too much time and care to just eat 'em.

Okay, I might eat the odd T leg now and again, but they can regenerate those.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Bugs really don't taste that bad if you can get over the psychology of it. I had a girlfriend in college whose parents were natives of Thailand. While they certainly didn't eat bugs as a staple of their diet or even commonly, it wasn't taboo at all. They made some roasted scorpions one day, delicious.

obie

Arachnosquire
i wouldn't eat my own but if i went to SE Asia where there sold as food i would try it. A guy on another forum ate his large Midas cichlids he said they tasted like tilapia.

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
Historically, I figure many cultures ate bugs. Not sure why we moved away from that. I could eat a bug/T -- don't really wanna, but don't consider it the worst thing ever or anything.

AphonopelmaTX

Staff member
Historically, I figure many cultures ate bugs. Not sure why we moved away from that. I could eat a bug/T -- don't really wanna, but don't consider it the worst thing ever or anything.
You can't take a guess as to why bugs are not a dietary staple everywhere anymore? :p Perhaps it's because in some parts of the world people have to eat what they can find or die of starvation while in other parts of the world people benefit from livestock farming and having grocery stores. To those who say they would never eat an insect, or arachnid, I say you haven't been hungry enough yet. :)

Here is one of my favorite videos on children in Venezuela finding and eating Theraphosa apophysis. Nope, no Wal-Mart in that neighborhood.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
To those who say they would never eat an insect, or arachnid, I say you haven't been hungry enough yet. :)
And to those that say some tarantulas won't eat a dubia, I say they haven't let their spider get hungry enough yet :)

An animal won't starve itself to death given the option.