Has anyone here ever eaten their tarantula?

louise f

Arachnoangel
Yeah sure all the time!!! I eat them for breakfast, lunch, dinner and as snacks !!!

Noooo i dont. And never have, never will.

Matabuey

Arachnosquire
An animal won't starve itself to death given the option.
Well, they can if they're highly stressed or ill.

Even then, I've had to force feed baby Malayan pit vipers that were perfectly healthy, for a year and half before they would eat for themselves. Some snakes that are obligate amphibian feeders when young for example, simply will not take mice/rats at all, and will starve to death.

I even left one of the babies (they were around 4 inches, so very small), 2 months without food and it still wouldn't eat and started to lose condition, so i had to start force feeding.

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
You can't take a guess as to why bugs are not a dietary staple everywhere anymore? :p Perhaps it's because in some parts of the world people have to eat what they can find or die of starvation while in other parts of the world people benefit from livestock farming and having grocery stores. To those who say they would never eat an insect, or arachnid, I say you haven't been hungry enough yet. :)
Yup. I always figured that historically people just didn't waste resources -- I think they ate a varied diet and insects were just a normal part of it.

Bugmom

Arachnolord
And to those that say some tarantulas won't eat a dubia, I say they haven't let their spider get hungry enough yet :)

An animal won't starve itself to death given the option.
Some animals will. I'd rather not try and wait out a picky tarantula who won't eat dubia vs just getting it something it WILL eat. I wouldn't force myself to go without food until I gave up and got hungry enough to eat something I didn't want in the first place, so why would I do it to my animals? Who wins by trying to be more stubborn than a spider? I want to raise these things, not get in a battle of wills with them. Well, more often than I already do! :rolleyes:

PanzoN88

Arachnodemon
There is someone in my family that lived in Cambodia for years for his job, tarantulas were sadly part of his diet

magicmed

Arachnobaron
I've eaten a lot of animals...gator, rabbit, shark, deer, bison, cow, birds....but tarantulas? I understand that a lot of insects have a high nutritional value, and tarantulas may fit in there too, but no thanks. I don't understand the desire to eat bugs unless forced to for survival. Go get a turkey sandwich

Moonohol

Two Legged Freak
I've eaten a lot of animals...gator, rabbit, shark, deer, bison, cow, birds....but tarantulas? I understand that a lot of insects have a high nutritional value, and tarantulas may fit in there too, but no thanks. I don't understand the desire to eat bugs unless forced to for survival. Go get a turkey sandwich
I have heard tarantulas taste like shrimp. I do not intend to find out for myself.

LD67

Arachnopeon
Just to clarify, I should have said A tarantula. Not your pet tarantula, specifically. As far as that video in the 2nd reply goes, Asians will eat just about anything. Dead OR alive. They're like the honey badger that doesn't give a <edit>. I wouldn't kiss that chick without her brushing, flossing, and using some serious mouthwash, though.

Last edited by a moderator:

tetracerus

Arachnosquire
I'm not fond of the idea of eating a tarantula, mostly because I've had 20-something years to internalize American cultural norms. However, it's rather Western-centric to say that other countries' consumption of tarantulas is primarily due to them being poor or undiscerning.

Separately, look up cricket chips. There's been a push to move towards more sustainable sources of protein and bugs take far less resources in order to produce the same amount of protein.

TownesVanZandt

Arachnoprince
No, I haven´t. Traditional Norwegian cuisine consists of such classics as sheep heads, cod soaked in lye, and trout that has been left to ferment and rot for two or three months before being consumed raw. I don´t see the need to adopt more exotic grose dishes.

truecreature

Arachnoknight
Yeah sometimes when I'm browsing my spider room, one of them might look particularly tasty so I just pop it in my mouth and go about my day. You know how it is

cold blood

Staff member
I have heard tarantulas taste like shrimp. I do not intend to find out for myself.
Like Jules Winfeild said..."sewer rat may taste like pumpkin pie, but i'll never know..."

Separately, look up cricket chips. There's been a push to move towards more sustainable sources of protein and bugs take far less resources in order to produce the same amount of protein.
I hope this doesn't become popularized....I only see a huge increase in cricket prices as a result...lol.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Well, let's not forget that, at least in Cambodia, they suffered Pol Pot and Khmer Rouge and the famine and disgraces that those butchers delivered. I mean, Christ... an 'Haplo' caught in that burrow next to a land mine? Back then a delicatessen :-s

gypsy cola

Arachnoknight
I ate a bug once. Tasted exactly like a kit-kat. Guess who no longer eats kit-kats?

I would try a tarantula. But only try, I couldn't finish a whole tarantula and I don't believe in wasting food. Maybe if I split one with a few people and got triple dog dared... I would do it.

TownesVanZandt

Arachnoprince
I ate a bug once. Tasted exactly like a kit-kat. Guess who no longer eats kit-kats?

I would try a tarantula. But only try, I couldn't finish a whole tarantula and I don't believe in wasting food. Maybe if I split one with a few people and got triple dog dared... I would do it.
We all ate bugs as kids, I suppose. The bigger question is why did you eat kit-kat? (I use my deductive skills here and suppose that´s cat food, no?)

TownesVanZandt

Arachnoprince
Ah ah, no :-s
but I have reason to believe that what my loved cats eat is by far better than that Nestlè poop my man. However I've ate those as a child/teen as well :)
Right, I could have used Google there and saved me the embarrassment :confused:. But you have to forgive me, I´m Norwegian and as a non-EU country we have heavy taxes on any imported goods that might compete with Norwegian agricultural products. It´s a good thing, really! We have this, it looks the same as what Google claims kit-kat to be, but it´s produced in Oslo: We might even have kit-kat here, but I don´t eat much sweets and the imported products would be much more expensive than ours.

kvikk lunsj.jpg

Last edited: