1. Important Announcement - Upcoming Downtime - Software Upgrade

Please see here for more details.
Hello there, why not take a few seconds to register on our forums and become part of the community? Just click here.

Genus Dolomedes

Discussion in 'Other Spiders & Arachnids' started by syndicate, Jun 10, 2007.

1. Advertisement
    So glad it was worth it!

Black Widow88 [​IMG]

2. ErikWestblom

ErikWestblom Arachnobaron

This thread has been dead for a while, hope u don't mind be bringing it back to life ;)

Dolomedes fimbratus is the only one common in Sweden (d. plantarius is rare)
    A few shots of my 2 d. fimbratus:

Small one, only 10mm bl, pre and post molt (post molt is bad quality). Notice her new tiny leg!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Bigger female, about 16mm bl and 50mm ls (that's about 2 inches)
    She is now in an enclosure similar to the smaller one. As soon as the food touches the surface of the water, they grab it :)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

That's all for now folks :)

3. bluefrogtat2

bluefrogtat2 Arachnoangel Old Timer

4. I remember that these were quite formidable and aggressive. They can also jump quite far. Are they at all related to the huntsmans over here? They seem very similar, especially the legs and the places that they hang out. Except that huntsmen are even quicker and much larger (At least in Guangxi).

5. ErikWestblom

I have no experience from your spiders at all, but after looking at the other pics in this thread I have to say it looks like a dolomedes tenebrosus...

6. syndicate

syndicate Arachnoemperor Old Timer

USA
    hey the threads back alive!nice
    great looking D.fimbriatus Eric.
    ill add some new Dolomedes pics up here tonight

7. syndicate

syndicate Arachnoemperor Old Timer

USA
    D.tenebrosus adult female

[​IMG]

D.tenebrosus mature male

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. ErikWestblom

Ok, my mistake, don't think the spider in that link is a tenebrosus anymore...

Edit: Thanks syndicate :) Will try to get some photo's of them in their enclosures. The big one ate a huge fly yesterday, a show like always :)

Last edited: May 13, 2008
  9. ErikWestblom

The big one, Swamp Thing (swedish common name is Swamp spider), molted today. She is now 18mm BL and 60mm LS, which is pretty impressive by our standards :p

10. PICTURES! :D

I would like to see how big she is.

Black Widow88 [​IMG]

11. ErikWestblom

I'll get hold of a camera this sunday, so I'll take some pics when rehousing. Don't worry :)

12. YAAAAAAAY! :D Thankies!

Black Widow88 [​IMG]

13. ErikWestblom

Here are some pics I took when rehousing her. The coin is 1" arcoss.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. froggyman

froggyman Arachnoangel

thats a pretty cool dolomedes you got there

15. Awesome! That's huge! And it's a male due to the large pedipalps.

Black Widow88 [​IMG]

16. ErikWestblom

Oh, ok, aren't they supposed to be swollen like boxing gloves this time of year? When I caught this one saw 2 MMs with pretty big boxing gloves...

17. Well the male's pedipalps are always longer then the females no matter if they're swollen or not. And I also had no idea that the male's palps get swollen a certain time of year. I always thought they were like that through out the year.

YAY! I learned something new today! Yippee! :D On a side note is this the same for all spiders?

Black Widow88 [​IMG]

18. ErikWestblom

Haha I'm just a noob, so since u thought it was a male and the pedipalps aren't swollen at all, I just figured they must be swollen a certain time of year. Got no idea really :p

Will post a pic of his(?) new home tonight.

19. I'm a N00B too in certain areas. Mind you I'm not a Dolomedes expert so I'm willing to learn more about them.

Black Widow88 [​IMG]

20. Fince

Fince Arachnoknight Old Timer

Dolomedes fimbriatus female

[​IMG]

More pictures in the Field trips topic..

Last edited: May 19, 2008
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.