Genus Dolomedes

ErikWestblom

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
This thread has been dead for a while, hope u don't mind be bringing it back to life ;)

Dolomedes fimbratus is the only one common in Sweden (d. plantarius is rare)
A few shots of my 2 d. fimbratus:

Small one, only 10mm bl, pre and post molt (post molt is bad quality). Notice her new tiny leg!

Bigger female, about 16mm bl and 50mm ls (that's about 2 inches)
She is now in an enclosure similar to the smaller one. As soon as the food touches the surface of the water, they grab it :)

That's all for now folks :)

MaartenSFS

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I remember that these were quite formidable and aggressive. They can also jump quite far. Are they at all related to the huntsmans over here? They seem very similar, especially the legs and the places that they hang out. Except that huntsmen are even quicker and much larger (At least in Guangxi).

ErikWestblom

Arachnobaron
Old Timer

syndicate

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
hey the threads back alive!nice
great looking D.fimbriatus Eric.
ill add some new Dolomedes pics up here tonight

ErikWestblom

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Ok, my mistake, don't think the spider in that link is a tenebrosus anymore...

Edit: Thanks syndicate :) Will try to get some photo's of them in their enclosures. The big one ate a huge fly yesterday, a show like always :)

Last edited:

ErikWestblom

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
The big one, Swamp Thing (swedish common name is Swamp spider), molted today. She is now 18mm BL and 60mm LS, which is pretty impressive by our standards :p

ErikWestblom

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I'll get hold of a camera this sunday, so I'll take some pics when rehousing. Don't worry :)

ErikWestblom

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Oh, ok, aren't they supposed to be swollen like boxing gloves this time of year? When I caught this one saw 2 MMs with pretty big boxing gloves...

Black Widow88

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Well the male's pedipalps are always longer then the females no matter if they're swollen or not. And I also had no idea that the male's palps get swollen a certain time of year. I always thought they were like that through out the year.

YAY! I learned something new today! Yippee! :D On a side note is this the same for all spiders?

Black Widow88

ErikWestblom

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Haha I'm just a noob, so since u thought it was a male and the pedipalps aren't swollen at all, I just figured they must be swollen a certain time of year. Got no idea really :p

Will post a pic of his(?) new home tonight.

Black Widow88

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I'm a N00B too in certain areas. Mind you I'm not a Dolomedes expert so I'm willing to learn more about them.

Black Widow88

Fince

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Dolomedes fimbriatus female

More pictures in the Field trips topic..

Last edited: