Genus Dolomedes

padkison

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I don't know how to tell scriptus from tenebrosus. I did note that the male/female sizes for tenenbrosus had the most difference in my spider guide. Based on how small the males of the species pictured above are (and the markings), I am saying this is tenenbrosus.

sac looks alot bigger man yeah.just rehoused my hopefully gravid female.hey any idea on how to tell the difference between d.scriptus and tenebrosus?according to spiders of the eastern usa they are distinguished by dif genitalia structure but i guesse they both overlap the same habitats.i just ordered the book spiders of connecticut the other day so hopefully that will help figure this out.

syndicate

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
do u have pics of any male tenebrosus?it seems like the males of scriptus are more gray and black colored from the pictures in this book here.ive yet to find any mature males here this summer but now im questioning whether these 3 ive got here are actually tenebrosus or not :?

padkison

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Here's one in a 25 dram vial which is 1.5" diameter.

do u have pics of any male tenebrosus?it seems like the males of scriptus are more gray and black colored from the pictures in this book here.ive yet to find any mature males here this summer but now im questioning whether these 3 ive got here are actually tenebrosus or not :?

padkison

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Tenebrosus sac hatch today. Looks like somewhere in the range of 200-300. Too bad these aren't pokie metallica slings instead. Note they have the dorsal abdominal pattern of the adults.

syndicate

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
congrats man!thanks for that pic of the mature male to.just got home from work and noticed my big female is puttin the finishing touches on an eggsac right now.will be interesting to grow some of these up and try to captive breed them.

padkison

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I think I will keep about 5 and see how they do from slings and how long it takes to reach 4".

I've got several juveniles and am thinking they might not mature in one year.

The remaining will be seeded in the woods behind the house and back where they came from.

Likely sell some too. They are neat spiders and easy to keep. A "poor man's" pokie.

Oh yeah, I put one of the albineus males in with the female. She ate him sometime during the night. Now I will see if she lays a sac or molts and grows. I suspect she is immature. I have two more males to work with. I won't try mating again until she molts twice more, I'm thinking.

congrats man!thanks for that pic of the mature male to.just got home from work and noticed my big female is puttin the finishing touches on an eggsac right now.will be interesting to grow some of these up and try to captive breed them.

syndicate

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
if u end up gettin an albineus sac u might have to send me a couple slings ;]
heres a shot of my girl with her eggsac

Black Widow88

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
A beautiful spider and her sac and an ass kicking photo IMO. :clap: I definately want some of these when I'm 18 and have my own place. That way my mommy doesn't have to worry about finding one in her bed sleeping with her......

....unless I put it there {D ;P

Black Widow88

pronty

Haunting Spider
Old Timer
Wild caught this year or from the babies you had last year?
Wild caught this year. I captured her from the same place where I found the other ones last year :) This year I only found 2, a male and a female. The male molted and I put him with with the female. They mated and she got herself a nice little snack {D

Black Widow88

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
OOOOOOH! Glad she settled her marrage problems. ;P {D Congrats to you for getting another sac! And I didn't know that there was another Dolomedes thread that you started last year! Are you going to do one every year?

I like the colors on the female in the pic with her sac she looks pretty! :D What species is she if you don't mind me asking ?:}

Black Widow88

pronty

Haunting Spider
Old Timer
And I didn't know that there was another Dolomedes thread that you started last year! Are you going to do one every year?
Nah :) Last year I was just so excited because it was the first time I found them :} But I'm pretty sure I will take pics whenever I find them :D
I like the colors on the female in the pic with her sac she looks pretty! :D What species is she if you don't mind me asking ?:}
Dolomedes fimbriatus :)

Black Widow88

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I agree! Makes me want one right now! If I see any at camp I'll take pics for sure! :D

Black Widow88

Tim St.

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Since you guy were nice enuff to ID this as a Dolomedes id better add to this thread, here my 3" Dolomedes WC and i think shes gravid

Eating a Cricket.

padkison

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Nice spider.

I find mine spread out on the trunks of trees in the wild, so rather than a stick for perching, I supply a piece of bark in the enclosure that allows them to spread out and flatten themselves.

Since you guy were nice enuff to ID this as a Dolomedes id better add to this thread, here my 3" Dolomedes WC and i think shes gravid