Favourite Baboon species?

LirvA

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I don't remember the video or channel, but I heard in a video fairly recently that H. maculata is not a true baboon, does anyone know anything about this?

Trenor

Arachnoprince
I honestly wasn't a huge fan of them to begin with either, a slow growing pet whole still doesn't dazzle me with excitement
Are my baboons the only ones that stay out a lot? Granted they are not out as much as my B.hamorii, but most of them are out several times a week when not molting.

Grimmdreadly

Arachnopeon
I don't remember the video or channel, but I heard in a video fairly recently that H. maculata is not a true baboon, does anyone know anything about this?
I heard this as well. Because they're arboreal, some are saying that H.Macs and S.Calceatum aren't true baboons.

Grimmdreadly

Arachnopeon
Are my baboons the only ones that stay out a lot? Granted they are not out as much as my B.hamorii, but most of them are out several times a week when not molting.
With the exception of my P.Muticus, I see most of my baboons at least twice a week

Jason B

Arachnosquire
I heard this as well. Because they're arboreal, some are saying that H.Macs and S.Calceatum aren't true baboons.
Maybe I'm wrong but isn't the term baboon used in common names for most african species, I always took the term baboon to the african species the way the term bird eater is thrown around the south american species.

like if you someone managed to make a hybrid from a P. muticus and a T. blondi you'd have a King Goliath Bird Eating Baboon.

Grimmdreadly

Arachnopeon
Maybe I'm wrong but isn't the term baboon used in common names for most african species, I always took the term baboon to the african species the way the term bird eater is thrown around the south american species.

like if you someone managed to make a hybrid from a P. muticus and a T. blondi you'd have a King Goliath Bird Eating Baboon.
Another argument that I've found, and it was from Wikipedia so that isn't considered an acceptable source, is that because they aren't from the family Harpactirae they aren't baboons.

cold blood

Staff member
I also consider anything from Africa to be a baboon...and I didn't create the common names togo starburst baboon and red featherleg baboon....so I ain't alone on that;)

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Don't forget that Monocentropus balfouri is a 'baboon', yet said Theraphosidae arrives from the Middle East, Yemen, Asia :-s

Jason B

Arachnosquire
Another argument that I've found, and it was from Wikipedia so that isn't considered an acceptable source, is that because they aren't from the family Harpactirae they aren't baboons.
Yeah after some time with a search engine I realized I was technically trying to find the science behind common names. And since there isn't any real science to common names, hence why we avoid them here, I realized I was wasting my time.

Grimmdreadly

Arachnopeon
Yeah after some time with a search engine I realized I was technically trying to find the science behind common names. And since there isn't any real science to common names, hence why we avoid them here, I realized I was wasting my time.
I definitely feel the same way

cold blood

Staff member
I love the M. balfouri and I was thinking about getting one until I found out that they grow slow, and aren't the greatest eaters UNLESS kept communally. Also most slings tend to be males I've heard, which is a bummer itself.
What exactly is not true? I would love to own one if that information is false, as that was the only thing holding me back.
Literally everything.

While they may grow a little faster communally, they certainly don't grow slow when kept alone...your temps will play a larger role than anything.

They are good eaters, even when living alone...mine never had an issue with food.

I've never heard of an out of whack disparity between males and females.

Just get one.

Depro900

Arachnopeon
Literally everything.

While they may grow a little faster communally, they certainly don't grow slow when kept alone...your temps will play a larger role than anything.

They are good eaters, even when living alone...mine never had an issue with food.

I've never heard of an out of whack disparity between males and females.

Just get one.
Wow they are gorgeous I definitely am going to have to acquire one! My winter temps where I live tend to hover around 69-72 degrees would that be suitable for one? Summers temps are around 72-75 degrees.

cold blood

Staff member
Wow they are gorgeous I definitely am going to have to acquire one! My winter temps where I live tend to hover around 69-72 degrees would that be suitable for one? Summers temps are around 72-75 degrees.
Those temps are fine for probably 95% of tarantula species.