Favourite Baboon species?

Depro900

Arachnopeon
Hey everyone I was wondering what some of your favourite Baboon species to keep was? I personally love the heavy webbers and basically any T that likes it dry :D. I am thinking of a
Harpactira pulchripes or Pterinochilus lugardi for my next baboon. I also really like the
Harpactira dictator and Ceratogyrus species, I just got a love hate thing with the horn LOL.

Arachnomaniac19

Arachnolord
I don't think I have one. At least not one that doesn't change every now and then. H. gigas is definantely always up there though! Who'd have though a "boring brown T" would be so cool!

basin79

ArachnoGod
Idiothele mira. Just because of her feeding technique.

I think H.macs are the most beautiful though. I love catching my lass out on her cork bark.

Moonohol

Two Legged Freak
My H. pulchripes is wonderful. You won't be disappointed by H. marksi or H. chrysogaster either if you go with one of them. So far my H. baviana has been more reclusive than those three but I will still catch it out some times. Get the pulchripes if you have the opportunity.

Jason B

Arachnosquire
This is a tough one for me. If I'm going on pure looks alone I would have to pick H. Mac.

That said I'm gonna be a little biased and go with my newest edition and go S. Cal because I love my two slings. I set them up in almost too large for them 32 ounce delis and that moment they cover a good portion of the enclosures. Sometimes there in their hides, sometimes their out of their hides and standing on the sub, and sometimes their on the very top of the enclosure. That and look wise I like them almost as much as an H. Mac.

On a side note I will throw in an OBT as an honorable mention because I love their coloring as well..

Stella Maris

Arachnoknight
I told myself I would never get any OW baboon spiders...then I fell in love with them through Tarantupedia (sic?) videos and now I want more baboon spiders!

I would have to say my favorites are C. darlingi and I. mira because I have C. darlingi now, plus I'm excited to get my I. mira sling soon! I love baboon spiders!

Thistles

Arachnobroad
Old Timer
Baboons are THE BEST! I haven't met one I don't love. I can't narrow it down to one, so here are the top contenders.

Heteroscodra maculata was my original favorite baboon. They look like snowflakes or carved bone. I love them, and they almost seem crafty and smart. Well, for a tarantula.

Idiothele mira is another finalist. They're fun-sized, absolutely beautiful with that sunburst carapace and those blue feet, AND they live in trap door retreats! So cool!

Monocentropus balfouri are beautiful, blue, and can be kept communally if you're willing to take a little risk. What's not to love?

Eucratoscelus pachypus are amazing. Go-go boots? Check. Good temperament? Check. I was surprised by how much I enjoy mine.

Oh, and I hear there's this thing called The Goddess. I should probably include her. I'll leave Chris to soliloquize about her thick back legs, impressive stridulation, deep burrows into the red earth of Mother Africa...

Honorable mentions: Harpactira pulchripes and chrysogaster, Ceratogyrus brachycephalus (actually, any Ceratogyrus), Augacephalus breyeri, and the one and only OBT!

Depro900

Arachnopeon
Baboons are THE BEST! I haven't met one I don't love. I can't narrow it down to one, so here are the top contenders.

Heteroscodra maculata was my original favorite baboon. They look like snowflakes or carved bone. I love them, and they almost seem crafty and smart. Well, for a tarantula.

Idiothele mira is another finalist. They're fun-sized, absolutely beautiful with that sunburst carapace and those blue feet, AND they live in trap door retreats! So cool!

Monocentropus balfouri are beautiful, blue, and can be kept communally if you're willing to take a little risk. What's not to love?

Eucratoscelus pachypus are amazing. Go-go boots? Check. Good temperament? Check. I was surprised by how much I enjoy mine.

Oh, and I hear there's this thing called The Goddess. I should probably include her. I'll leave Chris to soliloquize about her thick back legs, impressive stridulation, deep burrows into the red earth of Mother Africa...

Honorable mentions: Harpactira pulchripes and chrysogaster, Ceratogyrus brachycephalus (actually, any Ceratogyrus), Augacephalus breyeri, and the one and only OBT!
I love the M. balfouri and I was thinking about getting one until I found out that they grow slow, and aren't the greatest eaters UNLESS kept communally. Also most slings tend to be males I've heard, which is a bummer itself.

cold blood

Staff member
I love the M. balfouri and I was thinking about getting one until I found out that they grow slow, and aren't the greatest eaters UNLESS kept communally. Also most slings tend to be males I've heard, which is a bummer itself.
That's so very much not true.

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
I am late to the party.

I am am not going to go on and on about 200+ baboon species. Or even give my top 20,10 or 5.

Instead I will just leave this picture :)
View media item 37563

.. if you know, you know <3

Rittdk01

Arachnoknight
I have one OBT and three H. gigas. The obt grew super fast, and looks very cool. I have stated before that the H gigas are my least favorite in my collection. I would never get another burrowing tarantula again. So, obt for the win lol.

FinnMosin

Arachnopeon
Stromatopelma calceatum and Ceratogyrus darlingi are my favorite of the eight African species I keep

Arachnomaniac19

Arachnolord
I have one OBT and three H. gigas. The obt grew super fast, and looks very cool. I have stated before that the H gigas are my least favorite in my collection. I would never get another burrowing tarantula again. So, obt for the win lol.
OBTs will burrow (usually) if kept correctly.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Most fun baboon at the moment: E.pachypus. Always (partially) out and digging, landscaping. Awesome feeding response as well.
Most beautiful:
A.ezendami. She's more timid than the E.pachypus, but is out a lot.

14pokies

Arachnoprince
Out of the species I own my H.macs are my favotite.My favorite Wishlist baboon is encyocratella olivacea..