Favourite Baboon species?

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
I heard that Hmac and Scal were not baboons, and I wonder what that makes E. olivacea hmm.

I also agree that all Theraphosidae of Africa should be called baboon spider.

ZHESSWA

Arachnopeon
My favorite baboon is H. maculata. Its teleportation powers are a wonder, the web it constructs is very interesting, and this T is always hungry which is great. I also love my OBT, but surprisingly is incredibly timid right now, but I'm sure as it grows that fiery attitude will develop.

Tanner Dzula

Arachnoknight
So Far the favorite in my collection has been my Heterothele villosella. its a very beautiful Dwarf species and so far has ALWAYS been out. plus her Webbing is absolutely crazy, literally just suspend layer after layer of Pure white web.

but am also still a huge fan of P. Murinus. id own a hundred more of these guys if i had the space for them all.

cold blood

Staff member
My favorite baboon is H. maculata. Its teleportation powers are a wonder, the web it constructs is very interesting, and this T is always hungry which is great. I also love my OBT, but surprisingly is incredibly timid right now, but I'm sure as it grows that fiery attitude will develop.
two popular ones...funny thing is that these are my 2 least favorite baboons...friggin ghosts they both are.....actually i might see ghosts more...lol....to each their own:)

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
System Log _

First Directive: Praise the Goddess*

Second Directive: Praise the Goddess* providing that doesn't interfere with First Directive.

Third Directive: Praise the Goddess* providing that doesn't interfere with Second and First Directive.

Heresy o-meter level: acceptable, somewhat mild.

Surveillance mode turned "On".

* 0.1 Pelinobius muticus PBUH (Peace Be Upon Her)

Depro900

Arachnopeon
So Far the favorite in my collection has been my Heterothele villosella. its a very beautiful Dwarf species and so far has ALWAYS been out. plus her Webbing is absolutely crazy, literally just suspend layer after layer of Pure white web.

but am also still a huge fan of P. Murinus. id own a hundred more of these guys if i had the space for them all.
I love those little guys I think they're sweet! I actually have one for sale right now in my area but its 1/6" and I have no idea how I would even attempt to care and feed something that small! Any suggestions?

Tanner Dzula

Arachnoknight
I love those little guys I think they're sweet! I actually have one for sale right now in my area but its 1/6" and I have no idea how I would even attempt to care and feed something that small! Any suggestions?
either pinhead crickets or even little flightless fruit flies.
they worked well for the LP i had gotten at about 1/16" in size.
i would recommend them. mines almost mature, at about ~2" and she is beautiful. I'm actually looking to pick up 5-10 more for a big communal set up possibly. i just want to find some from different breeders so they can breed without them all being from the same sac(hopefully)

Depro900

Arachnopeon
either pinhead crickets or even little flightless fruit flies.
they worked well for the LP i had gotten at about 1/16" in size.
i would recommend them. mines almost mature, at about ~2" and she is beautiful. I'm actually looking to pick up 5-10 more for a big communal set up possibly. i just want to find some from different breeders so they can breed without them all being from the same sac(hopefully)
Awesome, how fast do they grow and are they good eaters? Im guessing a small critter keeper for an adult would suffice?

Tanner Dzula

Arachnoknight
Awesome, how fast do they grow and are they good eaters? Im guessing a small critter keeper for an adult would suffice?
as for growth rate, I'm not too sure, i haven't owned this species as a sling. i got mine at a little over 1.5", and they cap out at like 2.5" from what I've gathered. they are a dwarf species, but from what I've seen people say they are decent growers.

and yea a KK for an adult would suffice, or even a good sized deli cup. they web a LOT so give it lots of stuff to anchor its webbing with and you will not be disappointed.

Thistles

Arachnobroad
Old Timer
They grow really fast! And yes, a small KK would be fine. I start my slings in 4 oz condiment cups and they look HUGE for the itsy little guys. Cricket legs from small crickets work if you can't get a pinhead or FFF.

GreyPsyche

Arachnosquire
I think my favorite top 3 favorite baboons would be...

Arboreal: H. Maculata
Terrestrial: P. Murinus
Fossorial: P. Muticus

I love these three and I can't wait to have them all in my collection one day!

cold blood

Staff member
I think my favorite top 3 favorite baboons would be...

Arboreal: H. Maculata
Terrestrial: P. Murinus
Fossorial: P. Muticus

I love these three and I can't wait to have them all in my collection one day!
P. murinus is also fossorial;)

GreyPsyche

Arachnosquire
P. murinus is also fossorial;)
I have to respectfully disagree even though I know you have much more experience and a wealth of knowledge more than I, I still don't think it's an obligate burrower. In fact, I believe P Murinus is probably the most adaptable T on this earth and just does whatever it feels like doing although burrowing is one of the more common choices. Then again I also think that in captivity animal behaviors change and most Ts known as terrestrials are probably fossorials in the wild and just take up being terrestrial when in captivity for reasons unexplained.

cold blood

Staff member
P Murinus is probably the most adaptable T on this earth
I don't disagree with that statement...but just because its adaptable, doesn't mean its not fossorial...they are burrowers that prefer to live underground...in captivity they aren't always provided with the same sub depth others are...likely because people want to see their orange spider. I give mine depth, they all burrow to the bottom and spend 99% of their time there....Now I could house them arboreally and they would adapt and web themselves homes, but that's more a product of the adaptability you mentioned and not their true preference.

korg

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
My favorite has to be Monocentropus lambertoni. Pelinobius muticus is a close second, followed by any Hysterocrates spp. and H. gabonensis.