Dwarf Tarantula ID thread

skar

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Has anyone here had any luck hatching either of these out?Iamassuming our best bet is to just let the moms do all the work rather than incubating...
Umm.. . Bump

Alltheworld601

Arachnoangel
Just found sacks with A.sp "hualapai" and A.paloma.Fingers crossed.
That is too cool, by the way. You had mentioned something about me watching mine, but no dropping yet. I think I got either really lucky or really unlucky, and got the one that wasn't gravid. I may have to PM you (or you can PM me) about hopefully getting a few slings from these egg sacs when they hatch :)

---------- Post added 03-26-2013 at 07:35 PM ----------

Yes, the Phlogiellus baeri. They are widely distributed and you can put up a communal cage for them. Old world species, but you can handle them just like how you handle a new world. Cute little buggers.
I love mine, and you're right, mine's very handleable.

josh_r

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Dr. Brent Hendrixson, who is engaged in a comprehensive revision of North American Aphnopelma, assures me that he is 95%+ certain that Aphonopelma sp. "hualapai" is in fact A. mojave.

And, he stated unequivocally that of the 54 putative species of N. American Aphonopelma now listed in Platnick's World Spider Catalog only a little more than half will turn out to be valid. Even with the addition of a few new species that his lab has discovered, he estimated that there probably are fewer than 36 valid species.

All this automatically throws a dark cloud over any definitive attempt to develop an accurate list of N. A. Aphonopelma, dwarf or otherwise, until the results of his research are finally published. While that shouldn't stop you from your efforts, it should prompt you to preface any declarations with a whole bucket of qualifiers to give you a backdoor escape route later. :laugh:

(Click or right-click the thumbnails to see larger images. Click those larger images to see the photo full size.)

Aphonopelma mojave Prentice, 1997. Adult female. Southwestern Arizona. (Photo by S. A. Schultz, © 2012.)

A. mojave burrow. (Photo by S. A. Schultz, © 2012.)

You are hereby given permission to reproduce these photos at liberty, the only restriction being that I be given credit for them.

Best of luck. Enjoy your little 8-legged buck list buddies!
I think there is a lot more going on with all these little dwarf species than we think. I am very interested to hear what comes of all of Brents research on these.

josh_r

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Has anyone here had any luck hatching either of these out?Iamassuming our best bet is to just let the moms do all the work rather than incubating...
Brett, I have had LOTS of success with hualapai and paloma in teh past. just leave the sacs with mom and she will take good care of them. I have had success with several sacs from both species by just letting her do her thing. I have photos of all this stuff here on AB. Each sac will hold about 50 to 60 babies and they will be surprisingly large for how tiny the sac is. I love these little dwarfs!

Anansis

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Looking forward to the ATS Conference in Tucson later this month. This is one of the featured talks on Saturday July 27th:

9:00 am A (nearly) Final Assessment of Tarantula Diversity in the USA - Dr. Brent E. Hendrixson, Millsap College

Brent has been updating us almost yearly on his research and this should prove to be more than just a little interesting.

Great Basin Ben

Arachnosquire
Looking forward to the ATS Conference in Tucson later this month. This is one of the featured talks on Saturday July 27th:

9:00 am A (nearly) Final Assessment of Tarantula Diversity in the USA - Dr. Brent E. Hendrixson, Millsap College

Brent has been updating us almost yearly on his research and this should prove to be more than just a little interesting.
I certainly won't be able to attend this one, but if ANYONE is, or plans on attending, a Video, or notes, on Dr. Hendrixson's lecture would be an AWESOME AWESOME addition to this thread!!!!!!

Anansis

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Unfortunately this probably will not happen. Until studies like this are published, the researchers usually don't agree to let their talk be recorded.