Dwarf Tarantula ID thread

kylestl

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Not a dwarf aphono but still I love this pic. My new c elegans next to a dime

Great Basin Ben

Arachnosquire
All of the following photos, are by permission from, and thanks to Josh r.

My ALL TIME FAVORITE DWARF; Aphonopelma sp. "hualapai"

Aphonopelma paloma

and Aphonopelma mojave

josh_r

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Ben, we will have to get together one of these days and do some dwarf hunting. I am curious about the locality you brought up. Keep me posted as to what you find. May be a range extension.

Great Basin Ben

Arachnosquire
latest update for the list

Confirmed TRUE Dwarfs so far:
-Aphonopelma paloma
-Aphonopelma mojave
-Aphonopelma joshua
-Aphonopelma sp. "hualapai", sold also as sp. "paramogoli"

-Cyriocosmus elegans
-Cyriocosmus ritae
-Cyriocosmus perezmilesi
-Cyriocosmus leetzi
-Cyriocosmus bertae

-Holothele inceisize? 3 " maxish from what I gather
-Heterothele villosellasize? 3 " maxish from what I gather
-Ami yupanqui VERY SMALL!!!
http://www.kenthebugguy.com/images/Ami_Yupanquii.jpg
- Yamia sp. "Koh Samui"
http://www.tarantulacanada.ca/gallery/images/983.jpg
- Cyrtopholis flavostriata "Virgin Island Pygmy" (at 2 inches average, A Dwarf for sure)
http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/gallery/displayimage.php?imageid=1636
- Phlogiellus baeri "Phillippean Dwarf" (again, at approx. 2 inches full grown, a LOT more the kind of DWARF that we're looking for here, other than those that are just, "smaller Tarantulas")
http://arachnoboards.com/ab/gallery/displayimage.php?imageid=1515

- Metriopelma species
http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=40727
- Metriopelma familiare (Much the same in size and stature as that of a Dwarf Aphonopelma. Color is subdued, and urticating patch very prominant.)
- Metriopelma zebratum (This Costa Rican Dwarf, looks much akin to those of the Cyriocosmus genus.)

- Euathlus sp. Red flame. (a robust 3 inch spider, and maybe not 100% dwarf, but HAD TO BE MENTIONED!)
http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q237/Jerm357/3185372102_6c63f1be72_o.jpg

PLEASE KEEP THEM COMING FOLKS!!!

josh_r

Arachnoprince
Old Timer

Chris_Skeleton

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I believe I read somewhere that P. baeri and Yamia sp. "Koh Samui" are the same spider. I don't know if that is accurate or not, you'll have to research it.

josh_r

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Last edited:

JOHN 3:16

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hello Josh r: Thanks for the web site. My A. joshua look like the one pictured on the site. I misplaced my camera charger. When I find it, I will take a updated picture of her.

captmarga

Arachnobaron
Here is my little H. incei, Cookie Monster. I just recently got her, so her history with me is all new. She comes out of her burrow quite readily when I open the top to feed her. She will take her cricket, and sit there for quite a while eating on it. I love her!

Marga

josh_r

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hello Josh r: Thanks for the web site. My A. joshua look like the one pictured on the site. I misplaced my camera charger. When I find it, I will take a updated picture of her.
Your spider doesnt look like the one pictured to a trained eye. If it truely IS joshua, it will have scopulae on the 5th tarsi and metatarsi split by setae. If your spider does not have this, it is not joshua and I bet it does not have this. Do you know where it came from?

Great Basin Ben

Arachnosquire
Marga,

I LOVE the shot of the H. incei!!! I've been DREAMING about a communal set -up of these in a 10 gallon aquarium. Yours has a VERY BEAUTIFUL GOLD color to it! Congratulations!

JOHN 3:16

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Your spider doesnt look like the one pictured to a trained eye. If it truely IS joshua, it will have scopulae on the 5th tarsi and metatarsi split by setae. If your spider does not have this, it is not joshua and I bet it does not have this. Do you know where it came from?
Josh r, I don't know where it come from, but I do know who it come from. I purchased the A. joshua(?) from Rep. and Reefs. I received it on 08/11/09.
It was advertised here in the classified. I don't have the taxi on this specie. Maybe you are able to get the info from Rep. and Reefs of the location she come from. She have molted several times in my care. The next molt, I will check it out to verify the taxonomy. Where may I find this information?

BrettG

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Josh r, I don't know where it come from, but I do know who it come from. I purchased the A. joshua(?) from Rep. and Reefs. I received it on 08/11/09.
It was advertised here in the classified. I don't have the taxi on this specie. Maybe you are able to get the info from Rep. and Reefs of the location she come from. She have molted several times in my care. The next molt, I will check it out to verify the taxonomy. Where may I find this information?
Reptiles and Reefs as in Jared?I can ask him the next time I stop in his place if you would like....Odds are Wayne(southwestinverts) down here caught it so he would probably be the man to talk too...

captmarga

Arachnobaron
Here's another, perhaps better photo of Cookie Monster. The one with the nickel is wonderful for size comparison, but I think this one shows her color a little better.

Marga

josh_r

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I am positive that spider is not joshua. Especially if it is several molts out in your care. I think your spider is more along the lines of aphonopelma sp. 'hualapai' or what they call the 'eastern' mojave complex.... I really hate this whole taxonomy mess with these guys. I dont know what to call anything anymore. Joshua molts out with a smoky gray carapace and is a more lanky spider. Look at the foot pads of the last pair of legs or if you can, take a picture and post them and we will see if it's scopulae are divided.

---------- Post added at 07:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:18 PM ----------

Reptiles and Reefs as in Jared?I can ask him the next time I stop in his place if you would like....Odds are Wayne(southwestinverts) down here caught it so he would probably be the man to talk too...
That is the sad thing about it.... Wayne is not going to tell you where it came from. So you may never know. If it was joshua, the locality would be the joshua tree nat'l monument. I have seen both joshua and mojave from this area and have kept them. You spider does not match either.

KnightinGale

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hello!

Can't really contribute anything as I don't keep dwarfs (yet), but had to say I'm really enjoying reading this thread and looking at all the pictures. Nice job keeping on it, Ben, when things started out slowly. But now things are rolling and I'm lovin' it!