Dwarf Tarantula ID thread

JOHN 3:16

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I am positive that spider is not joshua. Especially if it is several molts out in your care. I think your spider is more along the lines of aphonopelma sp. 'hualapai' or what they call the 'eastern' mojave complex.... I really hate this whole taxonomy mess with these guys. I dont know what to call anything anymore. Joshua molts out with a smoky gray carapace and is a more lanky spider. Look at the foot pads of the last pair of legs or if you can, take a picture and post them and we will see if it's scopulae are divided.

Good morning Josh r, I appreciate your concern. If I don't have the Aphonopelma specie I posted, I would like to know what Aphonopelma species I have. I am very much interested in the dwarf specie. I found a older picture of, I believe, the same questionable A. joshua. What do you think?

Aphonopelma joshua.jpg

josh_r

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I am positive that spider is not joshua. Especially if it is several molts out in your care. I think your spider is more along the lines of aphonopelma sp. 'hualapai' or what they call the 'eastern' mojave complex.... I really hate this whole taxonomy mess with these guys. I dont know what to call anything anymore. Joshua molts out with a smoky gray carapace and is a more lanky spider. Look at the foot pads of the last pair of legs or if you can, take a picture and post them and we will see if it's scopulae are divided.

Good morning Josh r, I appreciate your concern. If I don't have the Aphonopelma specie I posted, I would like to know what Aphonopelma species I have. I am very much interested in the dwarf specie. I found a older picture of, I believe, the same questionable A. joshua. What do you think?

View attachment 88212

It still looks like the hualapai or eastern complex mojave thing. Joshua is less hairy and a more lanky appearance from what I have seen. Look at the bottom of the foot on the 5th leg and see if the sticky toe pad (scopulae) have a line splitting them in half. If it does, then it very well may be joshua. If not, it is not joshua. Take ca picture of the bottom of the 5th foot and show us.

Great Basin Ben

Arachnosquire
Here is my Paraphysa sp. "Chilean Tiger"

Maybe 2" tops
I was hesitant to list this species as a Dwarf. I've seen specimens approach the 4 to 4 1/2 inch mark, which, while it is a "smaller" Tarantula, it's not quite a Dwarf in certain criteria. Which itself, brings up an interesting question: What actually makes a TRUE Dwarf Tarantula???

Regardless, what an ABSOLUTE BEAUTY of a spider you've got!!! Dwarf or not, it is now on my "list".

BrettG

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Just like Cyclosternum is not on mine.I have a 4+ inch female fasciatum.... HARDLY a dwarf..

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Here is one of my female Pumpkin Patch [/B](Hapolopus sp.) Colombia. They have matured and are a stretched two inches (2")

Hapolopus triseriatus (18).JPG

poeciN3RD

Arachnopeon
More Dwarf Tarantulas

Please add Harpactira & Harpactirella, both Dwarf Baboon species from South Africa.

Harpactira sp. robertson
Harpactirella lightfooti

there are more too............

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Here is one of my two inch (2") Ornithoctonus sp. 'Koh Samui'. The picture doesn't do the color of this specie any justice. This is a very colorful specie. I will try to get a better picture. This is very secluded specie.

Ornithoctonus sp. 'Koh Samui' (5).jpg

Leviticus

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Best thread I have seen in a while GBB! I was actually wondering about all the different dwarf/smaller species of tarantulas lately and this has been a good read so far. I get my first Cyriocosmus tomorrow and there will be many more to come.

What

Arachnoprince
Old Timer

Have at it, both are the same spider. It was collected near Barstow, California... All I know about it. Has been a mature female since I was given it in early 2008. Molted twice, hasnt gotten any larger, Im comfortable saying its a dwarf.

Chris_Skeleton

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Speaking of dwarves, I just picked up a Paraphysa scrofa.

But man, I wish I lived out west where I could just hunt for tarantulas all the time. I would love it. I can only hunt trapdoors and other mygs, they're pretty cool too though.

josh_r

Arachnoprince
Old Timer

Have at it, both are the same spider. It was collected near Barstow, California... All I know about it. Has been a mature female since I was given it in early 2008. Molted twice, hasnt gotten any larger, Im comfortable saying its a dwarf.
That is a nice looking little dwarf! I thought it was Joshua at first but if it was found in Barstow, then no way is it joshua. Was this one of the spiders Robert found?

Great Basin Ben

Arachnosquire
That is a nice looking little dwarf! I thought it was Joshua at first but if it was found in Barstow, then no way is it joshua. Was this one of the spiders Robert found?

HOLY CRAP Josh, That is BEYOND WORDS!!! It almost looks like one of the Pygmy Dominican Holothele sp. blue,. This is a MUST HAVE for any true Dwarf enthusiast. Is it still in fact an Aphonopelmas? I'm BEYOND INTRIGUED!!!

I'm speechless!!!

josh_r

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Yep. Never did find out from him where exactly they came from... You know how that was, Im sure. :rolleyes:
LOL, yeah I know how it is. Robert seemed to have dissappeared after that. Its a really nice looking spider. Didn't they find 3 of these??

What

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
LOL, yeah I know how it is. Robert seemed to have dissappeared after that. Its a really nice looking spider. Didn't they find 3 of these??
I was given two, I think Abyss_x3(or whatever he goes by now) had another? Of anyone I think he would know most about these... I sold one to someone in the bay area a couple yrs back during a downsize...

And yeah, he did disappear, caused a little bit of drama in SCABIES then was gone; he popped up on facebook a couple months back though (right before I deleted mine). I havent tried to contact him and dont plan to anytime soon... :)

josh_r

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I was given two, I think Abyss_x3(or whatever he goes by now) had another? Of anyone I think he would know most about these... I sold one to someone in the bay area a couple yrs back during a downsize...

And yeah, he did disappear, caused a little bit of drama in SCABIES then was gone; he popped up on facebook a couple months back though (right before I deleted mine). I havent tried to contact him and dont plan to anytime soon... :)
Yeah he kinda shafted me as well. He took a trip out to AZ and pretty much played me for a fool. Too bad, he could have been a pretty cool dude.

BCscorp

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I like the dwarf species myself.
Hapalopus sp. Columbia/large

Pseudhapalopus sp. blue

Ami sp. Panama

Ami sp. yupanguii

High_Rolling_T

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
One I just got recently and has quickly become one of my favorites is Euathlus sp. "Red". They have a awesome temperament and just love those colors. Everyone should have one!

Also, lots of the Metriopelma spp. are dwarfs as well