Dwarf Tarantula ID thread

JOHN 3:16

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Here is one of my female Aphonopelma paloma. I would like to breed this specie. This is a good eating dwarf.

Aphonopelma paloma (3).JPG

josh_r

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
This is a good eating dwarf.

[/ATTACH]
Good eatin eh??? what do they taste like?? :razz:

Very nice lookin little paloma ya got there. It looks like it is from the southern populations. I have had great success with this species in the past. The babies are quite large when they hatch. The sacs are about the size of a dime or nickle and average about 50 to 60 babies. If you can locate a male from a similar population, I think you will be quite pleased with breeding this species. Good luck eh!

Josh

crawltech

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Here is my Paraphysa sp. "Chilean Tiger"

Maybe 2" tops

Hey, Chris......nice tiger!....i happen to have a breeding pair of these guys!....aswell as P. sp. chilean pygmy....pairing them up real soon!

---------- Post added at 07:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:27 PM ----------

Some pics of my dwarf Paraphysa sp. chilean tiger,....and like Chris's..mature @ almost 2 inches.....really hopeing to get some slings from this pair!

Female

MM

A little co-habin to get them in the mood!

No insertions yet, hes a little shy, shes seems more interested than he....

Chris_Skeleton

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Does anyone else think mine looks gravid? She is HUGE :eek:

I've had her since Nov. 26 of last year. It is definitely WC. So how long does it take a T to drop a sac?

Nice pics crawltech!!

JOHN 3:16

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Good eatin eh??? what do they taste like?? :razz:

Very nice lookin little paloma ya got there. It looks like it is from the southern populations. I have had great success with this species in the past. The babies are quite large when they hatch. The sacs are about the size of a dime or nickle and average about 50 to 60 babies. If you can locate a male from a similar population, I think you will be quite pleased with breeding this species. Good luck eh!

Josh
Hello Josh, would you PM me info on breeding the A. paloma? I would appreciate it. And if you come across a male let me know.

crawltech

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Does anyone else think mine looks gravid? She is HUGE :eek:

I've had her since Nov. 26 of last year. It is definitely WC. So how long does it take a T to drop a sac?

Nice pics crawltech!!
I thought she looked a tad on the egg holdin side aswell....start keepin it a little more humid, and see what happens....its very possible she will drop for you soon, if she is indeed gravid..good luck man!....and make sure sha has a good hide, somthin does not take in alot of light.

Great Basin Ben

Arachnosquire
I've been missing you guys

Hey all of you dwarf enthusiats. It is SO nice to re-visit this thread, and catch up on some of my recent Dwarf officianados. I've been EXTREMELY sick for the better part of a week, and unfortunately my 3 day long 101+ fever, and complete dehydration, has led to a bit of Medium term Momory loss for me. :confused::confused::confused: I just re-read this thread for the first time again today in almost a couple weeks, and I had to re-learn all that was mentioned, and try and piece together some of the details of my recent months of T keeping.:8o

With that said, ALL of my T's are doing good, (I spent the better part of 2 hours with them last night), and all of them have a nice clean water dish, and belly full of cricket.:) I just wish I could remember more, and as time goes on, and I re-read these threads, I'm pieceing everything together little by little. My wife has been MORE than accomodating, and extremely patient with me, when I repeat myself, or seem confused.

It's extremely nice to get back here on the Boards, and re-learn everything from my past couple months all over by reading these threads. ALL OF THE DWARFS ARE DOING QUITE WELL though, so in time, I'm sure after PM-ing, and chatting with all of you again, I'll re-gain my memories piece by piece, and be back up to speed on how you all are doing, and your spiders too.

All the best to ALL of you from the BIGGEST Dwarf fan out there,
Ben.

pato_chacoana

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Hello Ben, my contribution about my native tarantulas... is Plesiopelma added to the list? they are pretty small ... (at least P. longisternale for sure... also Catumiri species... and I'm currently keeping what I believe is an undescribed dwarf Grammostola species.

Cheers,
Pato

dianedfisher

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Kochiana brunnipes

Kochiana brunnipes. Very small with extremely small young. 1st U.S. breeding.
Diane
Female:

Mature male

Spiderlings

dactylus

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Just curious if anyone is expecting any "dwarf" Aphonopelma species sacs this season?

:angelic:

BrettG

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Just curious if anyone is expecting any "dwarf" Aphonopelma species sacs this season?

:angelic:
Working on it buddy ;) User "skar" has a female hualapai he purchased from us that just dropped a sack,so fingers crossed.We also have a bunch of hualapai and paloma females,and I would be willing to bet that at least half are currently gravid.

Stan Schultz

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
If one of these already exists, then I apologize. I ran a search, and found a variety of posts, but nothing specifically that compiled names and photos of TRUE Dwarf Tarantula species. Let me start off the list with my Favorites!

Aphonopelma sp. "hualapai", "paramoguli" (Eastern Mojave complex)
Aphonopelma mojave

PLEASE feel free to add to this comprehensive list with pictures, and species info...
Dr. Brent Hendrixson, who is engaged in a comprehensive revision of North American Aphnopelma, assures me that he is 95%+ certain that Aphonopelma sp. "hualapai" is in fact A. mojave.

And, he stated unequivocally that of the 54 putative species of N. American Aphonopelma now listed in Platnick's World Spider Catalog only a little more than half will turn out to be valid. Even with the addition of a few new species that his lab has discovered, he estimated that there probably are fewer than 36 valid species.

All this automatically throws a dark cloud over any definitive attempt to develop an accurate list of N. A. Aphonopelma, dwarf or otherwise, until the results of his research are finally published. While that shouldn't stop you from your efforts, it should prompt you to preface any declarations with a whole bucket of qualifiers to give you a backdoor escape route later. :laugh:

(Click or right-click the thumbnails to see larger images. Click those larger images to see the photo full size.)

Aphonopelma mojave Prentice, 1997. Adult female. Southwestern Arizona. (Photo by S. A. Schultz, © 2012.)

A. mojave burrow. (Photo by S. A. Schultz, © 2012.)

You are hereby given permission to reproduce these photos at liberty, the only restriction being that I be given credit for them.

Best of luck. Enjoy your little 8-legged buck list buddies!

k2power

Arachnoknight
My parents were wanting to organize a family trip with the kids and grandkids in Vegas this August and after seeing these photos I am really tempted to act on my idea ofdrive out there from NC do some poking around a few days before meeting up with them. Would love to find a couple of dwarves to bring back. A. mojave and paloma are high on the list and A. iodius wouldn't be scoffed at either (though not a dwarf). I have seen none of these so would love to see any of these. PM me if you'd be willing to show a southerner around out there.

dactylus

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Working on it buddy ;) User "skar" has a female hualapai he purchased from us that just dropped a sack,so fingers crossed.We also have a bunch of hualapai and paloma females,and I would be willing to bet that at least half are currently gravid.
That is good to hear Brett. I was going to PM you about that very subject. Best of luck with these and I will be PM'ing you about the possibility of acquiring slings from them if you are successful.

David

Blackprizm

Arachnosquire
I agree with Josh r, spiders that get larger than say 3 inch legspan just arent dwarf species. Another dwarf specie I have that doesn't get 2 inches is Phlogiellus baeri.
Yes, the Phlogiellus baeri. They are widely distributed and you can put up a communal cage for them. Old world species, but you can handle them just like how you handle a new world. Cute little buggers.

BrettG

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Just found sacks with A.sp "hualapai" and A.paloma.Fingers crossed.

BrettG

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Has anyone here had any luck hatching either of these out?Iamassuming our best bet is to just let the moms do all the work rather than incubating...