cross-breeding t's

Mattyb

Arachnoking
Old Timer
See thats where people are going to get hyped up about this. I don't think any should be sold for any reason. Keep them or kill them those are your rational options. You can never insure that the people you sell to won't re sell or trade them without saying they were hybreds.
But we are getting ahead of ourselves I doubt you will get a viable sac and offspring from this breeding.

It pains me to say it, but i'd have to agree.

-Matty

ZoSoLp510

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Yeah, ensuring they go to a responsible home is a total crapshoot... that's what made me think of zoo's and various educational facilities if they were interested. I figure, you could trust those places more so than the general public. Of the two options however (killing and keeping), I would opt for keeping, as I have strong convictions against killing such creatures. Perhap's I could get some to educational institutions and keep the rest.

widowkeeper

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
keep or kill

keep them or kill them ppl .new to the hobby or ones out to make a quick buck will just flood the gene pools with genticly <edit -MrI> up spiders, perhaps we need somthing like the akc for spiders i can see it now 10 dollar t's going for 70 because they have papers and your to afraid to get some dumb <edit -MrI> mutant spiders :p not to be a <edit -MrI> but i dont think many ppl would like to even see them let alone find them for sale on this board. i would love to make my verry own sp of tarantula but i will never try i would be to tempted to show it off thats all it would take one cool looking spider and cross breeding would be a common thing and a few years down the road there would be problems you may think you could keep it from spreding through the industry but like it or not alot of ppl are just in it for the lil money they can make even if you dont sell them ppl will copy what they know can be done

my 2 cents ;P

Last edited by a moderator:

ballpython2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
IF this female does have babies I'd buy two of them. I'm very interested in having cross bred baby slings

Yuki

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Why would you kill them anyway, kind of a mean thing to do. as for selling them, I don't think too many people would try to breed the crossbreeds, we don't even know if they can.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
There have been plenty crossing with two species that are in the same genus and offspring produced, but not two mating from different genuses, at least none that I know of.

lunixweb

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I believe that the possibility of the sack fecundates is very remote, but in case it does, it isn't a good idea to kill the breedings, the best way would be to conserve them or even like you said, donate them to some institution or collector that takes care of them, indicating that they are hybrid.
But I am not very in favor of carrying out this type of you cross, because for that the nature is making its work & it gives to each species the characteristics and required abilities.

ShadowBlade

Planeswalker
Old Timer
First off, you're most likely not getting a sac. Atleast not viable offspring. The sperm and eggs will not line up genetically.

Also, I'm impressed the two did the dance. But that doesn't mean it was successful. The shape of the male's bulbs are different, and may not have worked in the female.

I've stated my view of hybrids many times. Do it responsibly, (keep, destroy all offspring) or keep out of it. There are many reasons.

-Sean

Last edited:

T-chick

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I own a horse, people try to cross breed them to either create a new breed, or to try to get the best characteristics from two different breeds.
Even when breeding one horse of the same breed to another, they want something that strengthens or corrects faults in the one they are breeding too.

Tarantula's are different species, genuses and are not designed to cross breed.
It is interesting that the female was receptive to a T of another genus, BUT you the keeper have the responsibility to care for them in the best way possible. You have shown your naitivity as a keeper by even trying to crossbred these two T's.
You need to realize that we take in wild creatures, even if they are captive bred. They come into our homes. We create their world, we hold their lives in our hands. By our actions they either die or live. To them WE ARE GOD.
And as an almighty being, you need to have the knowledge that what YOU do is good or bad. They don't feel love, or sorrow, they don't understand our excitement as we watch them grow and change. They are doing what is instinctual to them. They can't feed themselves in the habitat's we create for them, nor can they chose to move or mate with out us, out of their habitat.

You need to realize that. Tarantula's are being decimated in the wild in certain areas. Conservation is the main key and education as to why we need to breed responsibly.
Polar bears are cross breeding with Grizzlies due to global changes and now crossing territories. The offspring cannot fit into either true climate, they might survive for a while, but they are not designed to be able to truly adapt to either true habitat of their parents.
You need to rethink why you keep T's and other animals. If you can't be responsible for the lives in your care, you should not keep them.
Hybridization can bring out either the best OR the worst traits from each parent. You know you cannot keep several hundred babies, and dumping them into the market makes you no better than a puppy mill breeder.
You can read about hybrids on the internet, you can read about failed and successful attempts at cross breeding here on these forums.
Your curiouristy can be filled, with out doing something stupid. Which you have done.
Please don't do this again. And IF the eggsack is even laid OR seemingly viable...
Do the right thing. Freeze it and then donate it to a university so they can study the genetic material.

JMHO

Cereal Box

Arachnopeon
I really don't see what the big deal is. People cross breed different animals all the time. I do have one question though - if you come out with fertile spiders, how can they really be considered of a different genus? Actually, isn't the litmus test for determining if two organisms are different species the fact that the organisms either won't breed or can't breed fertile offspring? If they can and do, but are substantially different wouldn't that make them different breeds of the same species?

David Burns

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I really don't see what the big deal is. People cross breed different animals all the time. I do have one question though - if you come out with fertile spiders, how can they really be considered of a different genus? Actually, isn't the litmus test for determining if two organisms are different species the fact that the organisms either won't breed or can't breed fertile offspring? If they can and do, but are substantially different wouldn't that make them different breeds of the same species?
BINGO!!! {D{D

IdahoBiteyThing

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Aspct

I can see it now: GBT's (Green Baboon Tarantulas?), Chaco Gold Fangs, Brazilian Salmon Pink Toes, where does it end? Tarantula shelters for all the unwanted hybrids? I'm considering forming the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Tarantulas (ASPCT). I'm calling Bob Barker to see if he'll be the spokesperson, but I'm not sure he'll agree because of the difficulties associated with spaying and neutering tarantulas. Just say no.

ShadowBlade

Planeswalker
Old Timer
Edit: I removed my post. I'm not going to contribute to the continuity of these threads. I should have thought of that first.

Use the search, to find my posts on the subject.

-Sean

Last edited:

ballpython2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I can see it now: GBT's (Green Baboon Tarantulas?), Chaco Gold Fangs, Brazilian Salmon Pink Toes, where does it end? Tarantula shelters for all the unwanted hybrids? I'm considering forming the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Tarantulas (ASPCT). I'm calling Bob Barker to see if he'll be the spokesperson, but I'm not sure he'll agree because of the difficulties associated with spaying and neutering tarantulas. Just say no.
Anyone who ends up with a hybrid tarantula just give it to me I'll take them all.....They will always find love from me.....::clap: :clap: {D {D

IdahoBiteyThing

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
You heard it here!

Anyone who ends up with a hybrid tarantula just give it to me I'll take them all.....They will always find love from me.....::clap: :clap: {D {D
I've given Bob Barker your phone number and home address (j/k) and you will be the first location for the ASPCT. Thanks for stepping up to the plate!

Laceface

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I just thought id add to the horse comment- crossing breeds with them is entirely different. Different breeds are the same species- just different characteristics, I think that would be like breeding different color forms of the same species- completely normal.

And for mules- the result of horse and donkey- they are sterile becasue the number of chromosomes in horses and donkeys dont add up, you end up with everything messed up. I think should be kept pure, why risk causing damage to tarantula gene pools?

Becky

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Too many genus' are already a mess e.g. Ceratogyrus, Avicularia and Poecilotheria and this all comes down to the same reason... spiders get mixed up because they are mislabelled (a lot to do with common names which imo should be ditched completely!) then people breed them.. and bingo.. all hybrids and the original species dies out..
How many Poecilotheria smithi in the hobby are the real deal?.. very few, if any.
Anyone who purposely cross breeds tarantula's should be banned from keeping T's for good... There's no need for it. The spiders are beautiful in their "proper" form.. why try and alter that?

Cereal Box

Arachnopeon
I just thought id add to the horse comment- crossing breeds with them is entirely different. Different breeds are the same species- just different characteristics, I think that would be like breeding different color forms of the same species- completely normal.

And for mules- the result of horse and donkey- they are sterile becasue the number of chromosomes in horses and donkeys dont add up, you end up with everything messed up. I think should be kept pure, why risk causing damage to tarantula gene pools?
I dunno as much about spiders as most people on this forum do, but isn't it generally true, at least with dogs and horses (I dunno about cats), that it's the purebreds which tend to <EDIT>poo poo<EDIT>up the gene pool? All our purebred dogs have lots of health problems which mutts don't tend to have. Our horses are fine but that's because we buy race horse semen and stuff - and even then whenever we buy a new horse my mother has to go crazy studying the genealogy of the horses to make sure that it's both a purebred gypsy horse and that it won't come out with hemophilia or whatever.

If the concern is that those in the industry of selling spiders are dishonest and unknowledgeable to the point as to cause a serious risk to buying purebred tarantulas, and if it is true that some tarantulas no longer exist in the wild as has been previously been said, I can hardly see how that would be the fault of the person who started this thread.

Last edited by a moderator:

Merfolk

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Anyone who purposely cross breeds tarantula's should be banned from keeping T's for good... There's no need for it. The spiders are beautiful in their "proper" form.. why try and alter that?
A bit too extreme here. We should simply design specific breeder sworn to abstain from any crossbreeding and refer to them dor pure stock, like you can have a labrador dog for 50$ and an pure bred for 500$.

As for the utility, that's where we all agree. However I think there is a minor possibility that someone achieve an new animal with new, fantastic or unusual feature, but there is realy no need to create something that ressemble whatever already exists!

Laceface

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Keeping a breed of horse or dog pure is entirely different. People resort to incest, which leads to genetic diseases running rampant. But, with Ts n such, sticking in one species, is like not breeding donkeys nad horses. Its quite easy, and mules arent that attractive- like a poor brachy mix with two abdomens.