Species Brachypelma emilia

LHP

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Thanks!

i definatly have to get one of these !
They're awesome! I highly reccomend one...the first time I read The Tarantula Keeper's Guide and saw pictures of "Duchess" I started keeping an eye out for an emilia.

looks like that puppy got a lot larger after that molt
She REALLY did...I was pretty shocked. I haven't done measurements or anything but you can see her old carapace in the last photo and it is a LOT smaller than her new one.

Lindsey

Nerri1029

Chief Cook n Bottlewasher
Old Timer
congrats !!!:clap: :clap: nice pics indeed

I'm just getting to know my B. emilia .. never thought a T could be so laid back..

Bigboy

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
That was a very nice series of photos. Thankyou for sharing.

cricket54

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I love them too! I found mine at a Petco near Syracuse, NY, being sold as a Red Knee tarantula when the Petcos were selling these all over. It was a little over 2 or 3 inches and they let me handle it so I could turn it over and sex it ventrally. I was able to tell it was a female, and she went home with me. She is very calm. Doesn't kick hairs as much as most Brachies. A good eater too. Doesn't live in a burrow, is out in the open most the time. Very, very easy to care for, so it could be a good first tarantula. I don't handle my T's very much at all, but this one is one that my Grandaughter could hold without any worries. Maybe these are good ones for a classroom pet.

Sharon

Rob883226

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
For over 2 months this emilia has been upside down. She comes down to drink and eat, then back to the top! Where it lets web dribble from her web dribbler. Once she took a roach that I put on the mesh. She killed it, and ate it upside down:) Then dutifully came down with the refuse, and dropped it in her favorite waste corner. And yes, it has a hide, and water, and food, and humidity, and heat, and I don't abuse it in anyway whatsoever.

SilentMercury

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
That's pretty amusing. Mine goes upside for a total of 2 minutes a week, so yeah that is different.:cool:

jwasted

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Yeah that is pretty odd. Whats the humidity? What kind of substrate are you using?

Rob883226

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
8 legged freak said:
substrate might be too damp.. could be climbing to get away from it. .
Nope, nice and dry except where it occasionally overflows the bowl, no mites. No change in its environment in the last year.

One day....it decided upside down was where its at!

andy83

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Maybe it's getting too much light? My Brachypelma smithi would climb a lot and after I moved her to a darker location she stopped.

Rob883226

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
andy83 said:
Maybe it's getting too much light? My Brachypelma smithi would climb a lot and after I moved her to a darker location she stopped.
It used to use the hide, nice and dark. The room is on a timer unless i walk in on a dark time. Its a possibility, but I don't think thats it.

I think its trying to annoy me, it might be personal.

becca81

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I had the same problem with a B. smithi and finally what worked was putting in a plexiglass lid underneath the screen lid. This did increase humidity a bit, but it immediately stopped climbing.

About 6 months later I removed the plexi lid without any further climbing.

Arlius

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Maybe it wants something to climb on, maybe give it a nice large piece of grape vine?

Rob883226

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Arlius said:
Maybe it wants something to climb on, maybe give it a nice large piece of grape vine?
I like to keep the cages as sparse as possible. I'll be moving them all into tubs soon anyway. The 5 gallons are to high imo, and the IRIS tubs have more floor space.

It not only climbs to that one spot, it HANGS there day in and day out:)

Dribbling webs!

darq

Arachnopeon
Last edited:

CedrikG

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Great looking tarantula my friend and welcome aboard and in the very addictive world of tarantulas :)

Nick_schembri

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I mentioned on my P.formosa post that my B.emilia molted too, well here she is, gained about 3/4" this molt. She looks adult to me, but still a long way to go at a little over 3.5"

Attachments