Big problem! (pics) not for the faint of heart.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Ok quick history. I got this smithi male almost 2 years ago from a show, he had one leg missing, I knew that but thought hey no biggie it will come back right?
About 11 months ago he molted and did not get his leg back, ok maybe he lost the leg to far along in the molt cycle, (still no biggie right?)
I knew he was in premolt, and I get home to find this.

You actually can see things I have never seen before. Undeveloped areas of tissue, nerve endings it looks like. This really makes me kind sick. :(

Hes alive and kicking the molt had to have just ended cause the skin is still very wet.

Here is a picture of the missing leg on the old skin.

And one more if the horrible mess...... :8o Hes lost a lot of fluid, I think I am going to have to freeze him.

Anyone ever seen something like this before? Its so wow I dont even have words at the moment. I am quite fond of this guy.

Last edited:

Tunedbeat

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Wow, i've never seen anything like that before. Thanks for sharin the pics.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Its pretty nasty thats for sure. I am afraid to see what its like when he flips over. I am still deciding if I should try and stop the bleeding. Or if its just a lost cause.

beetleman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
man that does not look good:( yeah, wait till he flips over and then see.

darkness_falls8

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
aw man, that sucks, poor guy. If that happened to me and my T was in that condition.. I would most likely freeze it. That's just my opinion.

Slash

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Oh man...I'm so sorry...:eek:

It looks to me as if the leg had not broke off in the proper location. It looks like he still had a little stump remaining. The T's that I have had that regenerated legs had had their legs completly removed from the body (no visible part of the leg remained)

Very sad...best of luck. Hopefully we'll find out what truley caused it.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Well that area shown in the pics is starting to show signs of drying up. Hes still flexing his other legs as well. I am going to wait a bit and see what happens.

By-Tor

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
did it rip off the new exoskeleton on the coxa like it looks like? or is that just bleeding?

Slash

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Well that area shown in the pics is starting to show signs of drying up. Hes still flexing his other legs as well. I am going to wait a bit and see what happens.
how long has he actually been upsidedown now?

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
No it looks like part of the underside was ripped off to I cant find it on any part of the molt.
Ill take a picture here in a few minutes. The bleeding is stopped I think, but its still a horrible mangled mess.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
how long has he actually been upsidedown now?
I have no idea. He was right side up when I went to work. But like I said the old exo is really wet so I think he was finishing when I came home.

Tim St.

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
looks like a rip to me, maybe you can put the insides back with a q-tip and glue the wound shut, its worth a try, better than giving up.

AmazingInverts

Arachnopeon
Wow! That does look pretty bad but I would give him until tomorrow to decide what you wanna do. Give him a fighting chance but then again you don't want him to suffer either. Tough call. Im very sorry!

JMoran1097

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
awww dude, i'm sorry to see this. personally, if he didn't progress within the next few hours, i'd just put him down.

WyvernsLair

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
looks to me like it was indeed a failed attempt at regenerating that leg too far into the molt cycle - probably compounded/made worse by the fact that a small part of the leg was still there before the molt.

Hamburglar

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
sorry to see your little guy in such bad shape... It seems weird that the damage seems to be in the same general area of where the leg that is missing would be. Do you think that what is exposed now is part of the new leg that maybe didn't develop correctly? And now when he tried to molt the process caused this to happen?

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
looks like a rip to me, maybe you can put the insides back with a q-tip and glue the wound shut, its worth a try, better than giving up.
I think the pics are deceving cause its not a rip. Its only to the last segment of the leg. I will wait over night I guess and then Ill have to put him down if he does not improve. :(

Hamburglar

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
sorry... I am slower that others. I didn't mean to repeat what was already said...