1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Avicularia Husbandry?

Discussion in 'Tarantula Questions & Discussions' started by ao4649, Apr 23, 2016.

1. kevinlowl

kevinlowl Arachnoknight

KL
    Advertisement
    Do arboreal tarantulas have good eyesight? When you say jump I'm thinking jumping spider.

2. cold blood

cold blood Moderator Staff Member

Better than terrestrials.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. Venom1080

Venom1080 Arachnoemperor

No, very poor compared to humans, but better then most as cold blood said. They jump as a means to escape predators. They can go quite far. I have seen Poecilotheria leap and catch moths but I believe it was the rapid flapping of the wings that let the spider find it.

4. TarantulaArvind

TarantulaArvind Arachnopeon

India
    Jumping spiders have the best eyesight among the spiders...
    While the jumping spiders rely on eyesight mainly, the arboreals rely on vibrations (and better eyesight compared to terrestials/fossorials) as a means to locate their prey.

In general, Eyesight of Jumping spiders >arboreals >terrestials

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. kevinlowl

kevinlowl Arachnoknight

KL
    Yeah that's why I thought of them. Jumping spiders have binocular vision to gauge the distance of objects in their environment to help them jump around. Tarantulas on the other hand have those weird tiny eyes, even the arboreals, so I can't imagine them using jumping as an effective method of moving about. Aside from that, imagining an animal as large as a tarantula errantly jumping around somehow doesn't seem very rational. (Yeah I know arboreals are built for the trees but they're still large and fairly heavy animals.) I feel like with it's mediocre eyesight one would eventually get clotheslined HARD on some branch, do a 1080° ragdoll flip and break everything when they jump without looking.

6. viper69

viper69 ArachnoGod Old Timer

It's believed they do. I've never seen any of my terrestrials react to movement that was 5-10 feet away, but some of my arboreals do, both NW and OW.